Target: Villocoublay, France
Type: Airfield
3 May 1943

Aircraft Name:
Air of the Dog

Aircraft Status:
Destroyed

Post-Mission Crew Summary:
BOMBARDIER: Silent Disapproval Robot (SDR) - One Kill, Me-109 - Light Wound, Grazed Skull - Purple Heart award
NAVIGATOR: mirth - no kills - OK
PILOT: BC - no kills - Light Wound, slight tear of triceps muscle on left arm - Purple Heart award
CO-PILOT: JasonPratt (JP) - no kills - OK
ENGINEER: Barthheart - 1/2 Kill Me-210; 1/2 Kill Me-109 - OK
RADIO: Bob48 - no kills - OK
BALL TURRET: Gusington (Gus) - Two Kills, Me-210 and Me-109 - Light Wound, slightly torn pectoral muscle - Bronze Star and Purple Heart awards
LEFT WAIST: undercovergeek (UCG) - no kills - OK
RIGHT WAIST: Jarhead - 1/2 Kill Me-210 - Serious Wound, broken tibia, cannot continue with crew - Purple Heart award
TAIL TURRET: JudgeDredd (JD) - 1/2 Kill, Me-109 and damaged another - OK

Post-Mission Achievement Summary:
Enemy Aircraft Destroyed: 5
(3 x Me-109; 2 x Me-210)

Bombing Run: On Target
Bombing Percentage: 60%

Mission Report
Take-off from base in England without incident in hazy weather. Cloud cover 50% in all Zones to target. Enemy fighter activity was fierce, with upwards of five planes jumping us (in that case, five FW-190s). Our plane position was #10, High Cell.

Ball Turret Gunner Sgt. Gusington acquitted himself well, destroying two enemy planes, one of which was an ME-210 that attacked Air Of The Dog via a vertical climb maneuver. I do not expect these kinds of attacks to continue all that often as it really makes the enemy plane a sitting duck.

Enemy fighter activity, as mentioned, was fierce; we were jumped in every Zone on the way to the target. Our friendly fighter cover was Poor, which did not help matters at all. Without friendly fighter coverage, we were sitting ducks to the Luftwaffe, which had a field day on our raid. As we were in the High Cell, we did not take nearly as many attacks as we would have elsewhere, but we had more than our fair share. The last attack we suffered was as we exited the Target Zone, where four ME-109s came at us from the front - one at 10:30 Level, and three more at each of the three 12 O'clock positions.

The Air Of The Dog did not suffer major damage except during one FW-190 attack, before we entered the Target Zone. Said attack was comprised of five FW-190s which our guns did little more than to scare them away. One such plane coming at us from 9:00 Level hit our bomber seven times, destroying the life rafts in the Bomb Bay, hitting our instrument panel, and damaging our landing gear box. This would not bode well for later.

The bomb run was a success, as we got 60% of our bombs on target. Flak in the Target Zone was Light, both going in and coming out. Our bomber was unscathed from these attacks.

The return to England was relatively peaceful; the raid was attacked by German fighters twice, but our bomber was untouched; friendly fighter cover, though Poor, finally came through for us and ran off an ME-110 that had lined up on our 6 o'clock. (I'm fairly sure JD was a bit miffed about that.)

The real fun came upon landing. Not a cloud in the sky, and excellent conditions. However, our damaged instrument panel and landing gear controls had potential to make things interesting - and indeed they did. Everything that could have gone wrong with a relatively easy landing did, and despite the Pilot and Co-Pilot's best efforts, Air Of The Dog cracked up and tumbled on landing. We were fortunate that nobody was killed; three suffered Light Wounds that would easily heal before the next Mission, but our Right Waist Gunner, Sgt. Jarhead, broke his right tibia clean in the crash and would have to be sent to the hospital for a long recovery. We will incorporate a new Right Waist Gunner before our next Mission, and will also have to acquire a replacement B-17G.

Sgt. Gusington was recommended for a Bronze Star for waxing two German fighters so utterly convincingly, and this was approved by command.

End.

My Notes:
What a hairy ass of a mission. We were constantly attacked going to the target, and our Poor friendly fighter coverage really screwed things, with our bomber taking many attacks on the target run. The bomb run went well, and the crew's combat rolls were generally good with Gus stealing the show with a couple of boxcar rolls for damage on two occasions, blowing the enemy fighters out of the sky.

The -3 modifier that our bomber got for having instrumentation damage would not have been that big a deal...but, I rolled snake eyes on landing, which put the result at -1, causing the bomber to be destroyed and me having to roll for wounds for each of the crew. We lost Jarhead to injury, but it could have been a LOT worse, and a lot more anti-climactic if anyone had gone and gotten themselves killed in their first landing after their first mission. (This game is merciless, and I like that about it.)

Overall this game reminds me a lot of B-17: QotS, but with a hell of a lot more tables and modifiers. I hope to find a good pace with this game soon though right now it feels fairly overwhelming.
Tabletop AARs / Target For Today: AAR Mission Report Thread
« Last post by BanzaiCat on Yesterday at 03:04:47 PM »
This thread will report the ongoing Target For Today campaign.

Until I can hit my stride in how to best / most entertainingly report these goings-on, things might be a bit lackluster. This game has a buttload of tables to roll on and it's not as intuitive as B-17: Queen of the Skies is, though there are some good player aids on BGG that I plan on utilizing moving forward to help with that. There's also a metric ton of modifiers to go through, and that's taken up quite a bit of time, making sure I don't miss any of them.

The Italians arrive near Sofafi, and my first overall strategic goal may be developing for 'tomorrow'...
Digital Gaming AARs / Re: Romulan Star Empire War Report
« Last post by Anguille on Yesterday at 11:45:04 AM »
New report:

The first fleet of the Romulan Star Empire has conquered the last Cardassian colony...the Cardassians are now fully integrated. The losses were not big during the last few years but the ships lost at the beginning of the war have not all been replaced...the first fleet is now being rebuilt at the border to the Ferengi Empire...our services have spotted some very big fleets with 60 to 70 warships.

The war against the Federation is going well too....we took Earth! The second fleet has had few losses despite some battles against large groups of Defiant class warships. We are taking one planet after the other. Taking down the Federation will be the focus of Romulus for the next few years. We are trying to convince the Klingons to help us. They are very weak but are on the other side of the Federation...

The Romulan Star Empire controls now 50 solar systems!
Digital Gaming AARs / Re: War in the East: Case Blue - Phase I. My first AAR!
« Last post by JasonPratt on April 21, 2018, 12:12:22 PM »
Does it help that the Nazis didn't achieve a decisive victory here either in real life?  ^-^
Tabletop AARs / Re: Target For Today: An AAR (Discussion Thread)
« Last post by BanzaiCat on April 21, 2018, 09:48:52 AM »
I started the first mission but have only had time to go a few zones so far. I should be able to finish it off later today.

The lack of a Zone Map, as was used in B-17 QotS, is a detriment. Though I understand considering the literal plethora of targets available. I think it would be reasonable to create a Zone Map for each Campaign (six total), showing all of the targets. That Zone Map will be a lot larger than the QotS one, though, as there's at least one target in Norway.
« Last post by Con on April 21, 2018, 08:44:32 AM »
That makes me feel better that I am not the only one unable to decisively win this scenario. I am back at it for the umpteenth time. Itís like a sickness with me that I want to achieve a decisive victory on this scenario.
« Last post by Pzrjager on April 21, 2018, 06:51:47 AM »
Hey Con I wish I did, I only got a major victory too.

Here is my victory points screen:

And my final map:

I'd like to revisit it sometime.

Digital Gaming AARs / Re: CRISIS GROGS vs GENESIS 5-player
« Last post by JasonPratt on April 20, 2018, 06:54:42 PM »
GENESIS OF THE GROGS -- TURN THREE, rounds 1 thru 5
------------------------------------------------------------

This round features a lot of bitter choices for me. A lot of my (admittedly new) income was cut off by the dang Canaanites last turn, and while I'm not destitute I am going to have to spend most of my money throughout the whole turn just trying to recover from that nastiness. God help me if the prostitutes march in again, whining about a lack of monuments for them to luxuriate in!

(#ancientpagankingproblems)

That's my first goal for the turn, and I think I can achieve it. Here at the end of my first round, I've accomplished the rebuild of one of my destroyed acquisitions, and also getting Mari fully ready to defend herself against Baby-Rich someday. That's no small feat already. (As usual, click to toggle the biggening.)

In theory I want to combine the reconstruction of that remaining town (down next to Mari) on my 2nd round, plus... well that depends on what Dave and Rich do, and maybe on card events.

Rich fortunately focused on preparing to repel boarders down on the Persian Gulf, so -- as expected -- I don't think I have to worry about him this turn. He's parking a respectable stack bottling up my path beyond Mari, but that's just to keep me honest for now.

Much to my relief, Assyria-Larry (aka ArizonaTank here on the forum) has decided that he would be better off not aggroing me with his feeble king this turn, so he's going to park and perhaps not spend much money this turn, saving up for next time. That's a viable strategy, and he's got plenty of turns in leeway to play that angle.

Much to my also relief, Hittite-Dave (I'm clearly not reporting these in order of play) saddled up a few boys to march his way south to the coast, probably to angle west along the coast from there back toward Arzawa. Unfortunately for Dave, he only brought 3 infantry, and while his king is certainly "mox" (as we old-time MtG players might say, i.e. broken in a good way), he's not really super-stacking. In fact, he had trouble this round punching out the first level-2 city in his way! He needs more troops to make that a lot easier. But he doesn't have a whole lot of troops nearby to spare. He's got the cash to recruit for buffing his stack, but he seems to be saving it for now? I dunno. He isn't juggernauting me, and I have no complaints.

Egy-Barth got Sais finally restored, but otherwise didn't accomplish much; he still needs to consolidate military power for a cohesive northward push. Jerusalem is a good start -- no duh! -- and better in that (as you might remember from a few posts ago) he was able to take it peacefully by card event that, in essence, sent Abraham's family in! (He sent Moses against the Babylonians at one point last turn, too. Barth's Egyptian run has been nothing if not entertainingly ironic so far.  :clap: )

Anyway, Dave drew his own second round as we shifted into random order for the rest of the turn, so he'll get a chance to concentrate effort along his chosen line of advance. How far he'll get, or if he turns around and flattens me after all, we'll see.
Digital Gaming AARs / Re: CRISIS GROGS vs GENESIS 5-player
« Last post by JasonPratt on April 20, 2018, 06:26:34 PM »
Between one thing and another I haven't updated our game here in a little while, but I've got some time to mess around tonight so...

GENESIS OF THE GROGS! -- TURN THREE, 1600-1550 BCE
-------------------------------------------------------------

Here's where things stand after Turn 2 has completed, and about to start Turn 3! (As usual, click back and forth to biggen and smallen.)

For whatever reasons -- I expect for game-balance and, in game, murder -- the Mitanni kings are solid bosses in the game's "historical" setup, at least in the first turns. I am not complaining, since thanks to hormonal rampaging high-maintenance diva prostitutes, my position ended on the edge of disaster last turn.

(...not my fault, I swear...)

Consequently, when my king happened to be the best boss on the map this turn, I exploited the edge in initiative this gave me to declare that I would be going first. Which, clockwise around the board, means Hittite-Dave will be going last (until we all finish our first rounds. Then it's back to the random draw again.) Considering that his king is a verrrry close second for swassity this turn (with 3/3 stats compared to my 3/4), and considering that his superstack is sitting on my border whereas my superstack is stuck off eyeing a Babylonian super-stack on the opposite corner of my empire...

Yeah, I'm not sorry to have first actions this turn.

Fortunately for me, though unfortunately for Rich, Egypt-Barth manipulated the Elamites into eroding off a significant portion of his empire, so I'm not terribly worried about Rich coming after me if I have to abandon my recently claimed Mari to deal with various western problems. Rich has his own mess to clean out. And his misfortune notwithstanding, Rich boasts easily the strongest army in the game so far.

Barth, down in Egypt, keeps being dealt crappy pharaohs by the historical setup, but he endeavors to persevere despite his setbacks -- and you should ignore the Libyans on his border, because I should have deleted them between the turns. He's poised to recoup and start kicking doors all up the Levant.

Hittte-Dave shouldn't have problems striking out in any direction he wants, especially with his hordes of peasants already ready to rebuild, upgrade, and hold territory already! His army is no slouch either, and certainly not his king this turn. Whether he gears down and starts bulldozing over me is a real concern, but he could also take the opportunity of my distractions to leave a token border guard and start super-stacking westward: the Hittites may not have the richest towns in reach, but they have more towns than anyone else and practically no risk of anyone else competing for them! He could become an economic, and thence a military, powerhouse, stronger than any two other players put together. Also it's great for end-game scoring. Oh and also most of the gold on the map is within his reach.

By contrast, Assyria-Larry (in purple to my right) is who I worry about most. His empire is highly constrained from expansion, and he took a bloody nose in his dust-down with Baby-Rich last turn. While I feel a little sorry for his problems, the fact is that I had to denude some forces from my border cities and if he decides to superstack me I don't know whether I can stop him!

Keep in mind, there's a reason why you, my reader, have probably never heard of the Mitanni before. I'll probably last out this turn anyway, but will I be down for the count by Turn 4?

...oh, and everyone else gets chariot tech this turn now. Whee. Although I don't recall if anyone bought any. That includes myself, and I'll talk about why not soon when I work up a report on our first rounds.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10