« Last post by BanzaiCat on Today at 04:00:45 PM »
:(

RIP
Music, TV, Movies / Re: RIP John Heard
« Last post by bayonetbrant on Today at 03:37:55 PM »
RIP
Music, TV, Movies / Re: Dunkirk
« Last post by GDS_Starfury on Today at 03:24:15 PM »
Driving to Brooklyn now to meet up with them beforehand.

Music, TV, Movies / Re: RIP John Heard
« Last post by Staggerwing on Today at 01:58:01 PM »
Damn :(

RIP John.

I know he's been in a lot of stuff but I remember him best in 'Cat People'.
More likely because almost all journalist are leftist

it's a nice myth propped up by the foxies, but not as true as the right-wing-über-alles brigade around here wants you to believe

uhm there has been many studies showing this to be true. Here is one from UK fx but you can find the same pattern pretty much all over the western world

https://order-order.com/2016/05/09/shock-study-shows-journalists-twice-as-likely-to-be-lefties
More likely because almost all journalist are leftist

it's a nice myth propped up by the foxies, but not as true as the right-wing-über-alles brigade around here wants you to believe

I don't think it's a myth if you look at just the major media. Certainly there are way more on the left judging by their own words, political donations and how they define themselves. Whether it is almost all or just a crap load more is up to how you define it, is there an actual difference between 70% and 90% being left leaning? Either way it is a lot.
« Last post by Con on Today at 12:13:01 PM »
I get the feeling that since it is popular in order to generate views the remaining publications have to take contrarian positions.

Plus the majority opinion is that there is a certain artistry to this film and if there is one thing artistry generates its opinions (and we all know that those are like arseholes) in that everyone has one and is unafraid to make you hear it.

I have been excited to see this since I saw the first reports on it....outside of history buffs or the UK a little known but pivotal chapter of the war and looking at the early threats where it looked like Nazism was unstoppable.  I only wish they had the 70mm version in Massachusetts because I hear that this format is unbelievable to watch Dunkirk in.

Con
« Last post by ComradeP on Today at 12:06:21 PM »
I think the Wall Street Journal meant that the enemy is faceless, aside from some planes in the sky.
Enigmas of the Mystical / Re: More Pix For A Laugh
« Last post by Tpek on Today at 11:27:20 AM »

Too bad drivers aren't armed.
Might have actually made NASCAR remotely interesting.  >:D

That would be CarWars by Steve Jackson Games

Look how many people here care about NASCAR,
now look how many people here care about CarWars.
Draw your own conclusions :P
« Last post by Tuna on Today at 11:23:58 AM »
I'm somewhat worried this will either be a propaganda piece like it was made in the 1960's, or philosophy on the beach with the occasional explosion.

Though I thought both Interstellar and Inception were impressive movies, I still like Memento best out of all Nolan's movies. His style of complicated (some would say: convoluted) storylines with a limited amount of character development can either work or fail. His Batman trilogy being a clear example.

The best books about Dunkirk that I've read don't focus purely on the British perspective, but on the war as a whole and the combined Anglo-French effort to buy enough time for the troops to be evacuated. The tendency to frame it as a British event might be logical considering the myth that was built around the evacuation, but it does not do justice to the historical operation.

Ironically, Churchill's supposed "bras dessus!" when deciding if the BEF, or also as many French forces as possible would be evacuated, has been conveniently ignored by many of his countrymen. Dynamo is in close competition with the battle of Waterloo for how the events of a battle have been distorted by a tunnel vision of sorts on the British contribution. Obviously, this isn't a uniquely British tendency, framing has been going on since mankind told its first stories, I just worry about the movie's frame.

The Wall St. Journal article ripped it.  Who is attacking the British is almost impossible to determine.  Churchill does not make an appearance.  His famous "we will fight speech" only comes from a Tommy reading it from a newspaper.  The director tried to make it about "universal themes" and as a result how it places in history is almost impossible to discern from the film itself.

As posted above, Walter Lord's book on Dunkirk is on sale for $1.99.  It accurately captures the chaos of the military and diplomatic situation at the time.  It also discusses how the British evacuation was prioritized and how the French stood and died to make Dynamo possible.

Did the Wall Street Journal not take a basic history class? Do they really not know who is attacking them a Dunkirk?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10