Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Computer Wargaming / Re: HA! I finished it!
« Last post by Rayfer on Today at 03:48:32 PM »
I just finished Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue the full campaign as the Axis with a 'Sudden Death' Major Victory in October 1942-- 6 months early. :D  Totally unexpected. I thought I'd have to hold on until April but grabbing Baku and holding Stalingrad netted me the win. The 'Normal' difficulty gives the AI a movement and combat bonus so I played without the AI bonus but gave it more time to make it's moves which resulted in a moderately challenging game-- not near as tough as a Human player though.

Once we pushed through and captured Astrakhan, it was pretty much game over as the Russkies' Supply Line is totally cut in two and everything south of Astrakhan goes on life support. Still the Russians were gaining near parity in strength at the end as I watched and shifted units north to plug gaps in my lines, but they made no major counteroffensive to regain any Victory cities before the end.

Still I love this game, pushing hundreds of units all over southern Russia and switching HQ's around to get the best out of my troops. The most fun I've had with my clothes on in a long time.  :clap:

Epic win SS... :notworthy:
« Last post by JasonPratt on Today at 03:31:05 PM »
I've heard the ending is bleak (even by FarCry standards). And also once you're done, no more sandboxing (unlike the past few games).

Update: I've now read that the sandboxing can and does continue after game over. It just makes no sense. To be fair that's true of the other games, too, really (one of the FC4 endings being an exception). The game does sort of vaguely reach for an explanation in subtle ways depending on which of the main endings get triggered. (The 'sad' ending may be just one last bad hallucination that wears off eventually; the 'worse' ending has a somewhat similar explanation for continuing.)

Anyone know if it works with wine?

The JTS Civil War Battles and Panzer Battles series all work (near) perfectly fine in Wine.  (Maybe just some sound issues now and then.)  As do the JTS air (Vietnam etc.) and naval games (Midway etc.).  Would the JTS Napoleonic series work in Wine?  I can't imagine why not.
Superb! I can't think of many games (board or pc) which have taken on this era.

I'll see if it works with bourbon if you want.

Yep, to the unusual (but extremely interesting) topic!  Is WINE some kind of operating system?

« Last post by Sir Slash on Today at 12:46:37 PM »
I just finished Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue the full campaign as the Axis with a 'Sudden Death' Major Victory in October 1942-- 6 months early. :D  Totally unexpected. I thought I'd have to hold on until April but grabbing Baku and holding Stalingrad netted me the win. The 'Normal' difficulty gives the AI a movement and combat bonus so I played without the AI bonus but gave it more time to make it's moves which resulted in a moderately challenging game-- not near as tough as a Human player though.

Once we pushed through and captured Astrakhan, it was pretty much game over as the Russkies' Supply Line is totally cut in two and everything south of Astrakhan goes on life support. Still the Russians were gaining near parity in strength at the end as I watched and shifted units north to plug gaps in my lines, but they made no major counteroffensive to regain any Victory cities before the end.

Still I love this game, pushing hundreds of units all over southern Russia and switching HQ's around to get the best out of my troops. The most fun I've had with my clothes on in a long time.  :clap:
Was a playtester on this one. You're going to like it.

Wow!  I just bought this and it looks truly fantastic!  Which reminds me I've loved the whole series for the last 15-20 years!

Hey and in this set you get the first use of aerial recon (balloons) in battle (Fleurus, Summer of 1794)
Computer Wargaming / Re: Far Cry 5
« Last post by SirAndrewD on Today at 12:17:21 PM »
I agree.  The forced captures are the worst design decision they made with the game.  In a game where freedom is a big selling point, removing said freedom should never be on the table when you're putting together a game. 

That said, after playing through it all, I'd hesitate to call Jacob's part lazy.  I thought it was at first as well, but then I realized what I was happening and where I kept running through on the "Only You" Missions.   Unfortunately there wasn't anything I could do to stop where I knew it was inevitably going.  I just had to wait for the last one that I knew would inevitably turn out to be "real". 

But no, while it had a good story reason, it wasn't really fun.  Faith's region is a little more forgiving on this, you can choose when to interact with her, but only to a point.  Push the liberation meter far enough and she'll come get you as well.   Her sequences are just straight story though, only the last one involves action.

But, it's pointless anyway.  If you're really putting it down, just go to youtube and watch the "Good/Resist" ending (Make sure you pick resist, most youtube videos incorrectly list the bad ending as the good one).  You won't pick it back up again.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Far Cry 5
« Last post by ArizonaTank on Today at 09:56:21 AM »
I have pretty much given up on the game at about 3/5 of the way through.  The breaking issue for me are the inane boss missions... 

I am in the northern county...and have been suddenly captured three times now.  Each time I am put through this dream like shooter sequence where I am timed...basically I have to run through a maze, shooting anything that moves.  If I don't make the time...the boss tells me something like, 'not good enough...try again'.  Each time, it gets harder, but it is the same fricken maze.... of course, the game does not allow progress to be saved here.  I usually have to go through it about five times before I can get out of the sequence. 

The breaker is...for the third "capture"...I was flying a helicopter...not a cultist in sight...the screen faded and suddenly I found myself in the maze again.  The repetitive and unimaginative "captures" have just become too much...  Putting the player through a mandatory sequence over and over again is just lazy on the part of the designers...

For me...no longer "fun"...becoming "work"...I'm out...

Don't get me wrong...I still like the game...it was a great ride to get this far...and I feel like I got my money's worth...but I just can't finish it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10