Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Computer Wargaming / Re: Most controversial video games?
« Last post by Tuna on Today at 12:14:34 PM »
He wasn't/isn't a dickhead. He has grown into a fine man. He just didn't realize what he was saying at 8 years old. He didn't think about what really happened that day. Don't worry, I scolded the he'll out of him that day!
« Last post by Emir Agic on Today at 09:27:36 AM »
Zizek about people who play video games...  ;)

« Last post by Phantom on Today at 09:25:58 AM »
I really wish someone would grow some balls and release 6 Days in Fallujah. Why the hell is that so damned controversial anyway? Just because it was developed at a time when the war was still actively being fought? The article claims many veterans objected to its release. I call total bull$hit on that. Anyway, my understanding is the game is complete. It just needs a publisher.

I'd add Syrian Warfare to the list. Its a surprisingly good game, but it is shamelessly biased in a political way and is a great example of recreational gaming software as propaganda.

I agree - I must admit to always being surprised that people feel there must be a time lag between a war & a game about it, it always seems a little bogus to me. Surely a game is more relevant if the game is released nearer to the event. If its in bad taste, surely its just as bad taste 5/10/20 years afterwards?
Take WW2 - we had the holocaust, the Russians losing & killing millions, topping it off by raping their way across Germany, the Japanese butchering Chinese & Koreans with reckless abandon, never mind the prisoner torture, all wrapped up with two Japanese cities being incinerated - fancy a game anyone! - clearly people do as its the most gamed subject on the planet. Once its happened it history, there shouldn't be any hypocritical "reverse statute of limitation" on games.
« Last post by Gusington on Today at 09:15:14 AM »
That's new for me too...never met anyone who thought the Challenger exploding was cool. My 6th grade class was shocked in to silence, a rarity.
« Last post by mirth on Today at 09:13:14 AM »
I was in high school when the Challenger was lost. None of us thought it was 'cool'. There was announcement on the PA and the teacher turned on the TV in study hall. There was lots of stunned silence and "Oh My God".
« Last post by BanzaiCat on Today at 09:10:08 AM »
I still can't help but feel awful anytime I see footage from the Challenger disaster. I didn't watch the launch but we heard about it while I was in class (World History, I remember it well).

I do remember the tasteless jokes that followed, too. Humor is something of a coping mechanism, so I laughed like everyone else.

I'm not convinced that pixelated slaughter causes desensitization; I really think anyone that has a gun put in their hand and told to go mow down a bunch of people at the airport should have the basic humanity to get sick to their stomach at the thought. There's been more than a few exceptions to this (Klebold and Harris, and so on), but these people were already fucked in the head. Games don't cause people to become psychopaths; they were already that way to begin with.
« Last post by bayonetbrant on Today at 09:06:03 AM »
Yes but kids play this crap to and then become desensitized. I remember being shocked in the 80s when my nephew thought it was cool when the space shuttle blew up, because there was a teacher on board.

I don't ever remember anyone being anything less than reverential and respectful toward the Challenger explosion, and I still talk about it 3-4x/year (minimum) because we use the Reagan address to the nation after the explosion in the Public Speaking classes I teach.
« Last post by Jarhead0331 on Today at 09:03:21 AM »
^ Yep, JFK Reloaded is on the list. I'd not heard of it before this list.

As for that mission in CoD 2, I get the negativity, but again, I stick to my argument that it's just a game. I think at first I thought "holy hell that's messed up," but then I actually played through it. Once you start engaging the cops it becomes a bit more of a challenge rather than just mowing down e-civilians. And since my sense of humor is warped I thought it was funny when someone posted a video of that scene with "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen playing through it.

Yes but kids play this crap to and then become desensitized. I remember being shocked in the 80s when my nephew thought it was cool when the space shuttle blew up, because there was a teacher on board. As kids in the 60s we had respect for tragic incidents.

No offense,  but your nephew just sounds like a dickhead. I was a kid when the challenger blew up and we definitely didn't think it was "cool".
« Last post by Tuna on Today at 08:47:27 AM »
^ Yep, JFK Reloaded is on the list. I'd not heard of it before this list.

As for that mission in CoD 2, I get the negativity, but again, I stick to my argument that it's just a game. I think at first I thought "holy hell that's messed up," but then I actually played through it. Once you start engaging the cops it becomes a bit more of a challenge rather than just mowing down e-civilians. And since my sense of humor is warped I thought it was funny when someone posted a video of that scene with "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen playing through it.

Yes but kids play this crap to and then become desensitized. I remember being shocked in the 80s when my nephew thought it was cool when the space shuttle blew up, because there was a teacher on board. As kids in the 60s we had respect for tragic incidents.
« Last post by Oche on Today at 08:34:08 AM »
Brought you by SJW pansification :clap:   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10