Main Menu

Oh FRIDAY

Started by Jarhead0331, February 01, 2019, 12:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Crossroads

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 02, 2019, 05:45:21 PM
Friends and brothers, let me give a witness! \o/ \o/ \o/

People have sometimes said I am a fool for paying premium money for nearly 20 years to Falcon Northwest for asskicking computer systems. But I don't only do it for the asskicking systems: I also do it for the asskicking technical support. The main drawback being that, naturally, their staff to product ratio tends to be low, so when I called them last night it was a little too late to reasonably expect a callback.

All hail the custom built system  :notworthy:

I've now built three systems, one for my self, and for both my kids. First: the Corsair Carbide all-steel full-size case. No wimpy plastics, just awesome matt black finished steel all around. Next time I take it apart for maintenance, I really need to apply a MERDC camo pattern to it...

The oldest one is now over six years old, graphics cards have been updated once, but now there's no way to delay a new CPU. That means a new motherboard and RAM as well, that's just how things work, so not a small investment.

Yet, all other first-rate components remain, a quality power unit, hard and solid state drives.

It costs an extra even when built as a DIY job, that's just how things are, as the computer manufacturers get their components with such a discount. But with some bargain hunting, it's not too bad.

On another note, I gave up on my Bitdefender anti-virus system and reverted back to Microsoft Defender that comes stock with the new W10 OS. Everynow and then I scan my system with Malwarebytes scanner, never had any problems with it.

Finally: installed Talonsoft's Battleground 1: Ardennes to my system with a DOSBOX. Vintage 1995. Wanted to see how it all started with John Tiller and Charles Kibler back in the day. So cool! So that's what I am playing.  :smitten:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Crossroads on February 03, 2019, 04:53:11 AM
On another note, I gave up on my Bitdefender anti-virus system and reverted back to Microsoft Defender that comes stock with the new W10 OS. Everynow and then I scan my system with Malwarebytes scanner, never had any problems with it.

Bitdefender is my favorite internet security program to-date...never have had an issue with it and totally non-intrusive. Tried others in the past (i.e. Norton, Kaspersky, etc.) but really have liked Bitdefender the most after using it the last 5+ years.  I do also have Malwarebytes installed, I like that as well.  Just curious what kind of issues did you have with Bitdefender?

Crossroads

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 03, 2019, 06:48:11 AM

Bitdefender is my favorite internet security program to-date...never have had an issue with it and totally non-intrusive. Tried others in the past (i.e. Norton, Kaspersky, etc.) but really have liked Bitdefender the most after using it the last 5+ years.  I do also have Malwarebytes installed, I like that as well.  Just curious what kind of issues did you have with Bitdefender?

My favourite as well, precisely for how non-intrusive it is. Defender is probably the only AV product even more non-intrusive, but it has not done that well in tests. With the latest W10 version, it got better (adequate) results, while I was struggling to tell Bitdefender to not run on the folder where we install our BETA versions of our game. They are straight compiles from MS Studio, shared via Dropbox, so they do not have the certificate that the commercial products have. It got quite frustrating to install the latest game betas, and to then notice Bitdefender had quarantined them, and it was not most obvious how to have them back either.

So probably something I could have solved over time, but I just lost patience with it. For any "normal" computer use I too recommend Bitdefender, not a bad price as a family pack for everyone in the house, either.

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Crossroads on February 03, 2019, 07:38:11 AM

My favourite as well, precisely for how non-intrusive it is. Defender is probably the only AV product even more non-intrusive, but it has not done that well in tests. With the latest W10 version, it got better (adequate) results, while I was struggling to tell Bitdefender to not run on the folder where we install our BETA versions of our game. They are straight compiles from MS Studio, shared via Dropbox, so they do not have the certificate that the commercial products have. It got quite frustrating to install the latest game betas, and to then notice Bitdefender had quarantined them, and it was not most obvious how to have them back either.

So probably something I could have solved over time, but I just lost patience with it. For any "normal" computer use I too recommend Bitdefender, not a bad price as a family pack for everyone in the house, either.

Gotcha, I use MS Studio as well and largely non issue for me compiling my stuff after I added the folder/files to the exclusion list.  In the latest version of Bitdefender, you just need to go to the menu Protection->Anti Virus->Quarantine to return the files back if for whatever reason they do get quarantined (although doesn't happen to me after excluded).  Also when I was looking at test results from the independent labs, it rated just as high as the other top vendors but maybe just depends what testing info your looking at.  In the end doesn't matter, everyone likes whatever they like and no problem with that:)

Crossroads

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 03, 2019, 07:48:05 AM
Quote from: Crossroads on February 03, 2019, 07:38:11 AM

Gotcha, I use MS Studio as well and largely non issue for me compiling my stuff after I added the folder/files to the exclusion list.  In the latest version of Bitdefender, you just need to go to the menu Protection->Anti Virus->Quarantine to return the files back if for whatever reason they do get quarantined (although doesn't happen to me after excluded).  Also when I was looking at test results from the independent labs, it rated just as high as the other top vendors but maybe just depends what testing info your looking at.  In the end doesn't matter, everyone likes whatever they like and no problem with that:)

I was struggling with the quarantine definitions just as the renewal was due, so I just did not. I might well return to using it  O0

Hofstadter

Obsessively playing new Insurgency. I kinda love it.

Also applied to do a Masters of teaching, with my skills, I could teach biology and chemistry, and if I pass the TESOL, I could also be qualified to teach Russian and French.

Food wise, getting into Indian desserts, made coconut laddos (little coconut balls with condensed milk, cardamom, rose water, pistachios and almonds) Shrikhand, sweetened greek yogurt with elderflower and raspberry coulis and barfi, and bapa doi, benglali a yogurt and condensed milk pudding with strawberry puree, steamed and left overnight to set.

I'm fat.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

mbar

Elite Dangerous. Guardian grind is complete. Accessed all weapons, modules and fighters.

I hate MMOs.

airboy

I have loved my Falcons.  My current Talon is more silent than the ceiling fan.

If you have a happy DIY system - I'm also happy for you.

Very little gaming this weekend.  I finished the writeup for the Gilbert & Marshall Islands raid and posted on my blog.  I played the Coral Sea scenario in OOB: WW2 US Navy campaign and made > 100 screenshots.  Coral Sea is the hardest scenario in the campaign and is also played on the biggest map.  It is the scenario that I'm most likely to lose every single time I play it. 

The AI runs different setups on the scenario.  This time they only had two fleet carriers and the baby flattop.  The AI also had a carrier within striking distance of Tugulai which I've never had before.

As usual, the "blocking force" around Port Morsby was sent to the bottom.  But they did sink the troop transports without needing air strikes from the Yorktown which was unusual.  That was one of the better "wins" I've had with the blocking force.

I think that if I ran the Japs in the Coral Sea scenario that I could win most every time.  If the Japs take Port Morsby - they win.  Concentrate on taking Port Morsby instead of focusing on hunting for carriers - and you win the scenario.

Gusington

Hof - instead of fat might just might not be tall enough.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

Quote from: mbar on February 04, 2019, 09:01:28 AM
Elite Dangerous. Guardian grind is complete. Accessed all weapons, modules and fighters.

I hate MMOs.

I liked Elite, except the grind. The lack of a story line to accompany the grind, combined with the frustration of loosing all  materials you have accumulated when you get killed, necessitating restarting the grind from the bottom is really a downer.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 01, 2019, 09:11:19 AM
Quote from: FlickJax on February 01, 2019, 04:42:09 AM
Finally bought Steel Division so probably give that a go :)

Definitely some World of Warships and PQ-17 boardgame solitaire.  Maybe some Battles in North Africa.

A weekend of some changes: Whistling Death (the whistler is either the Corsair or the Beaufighter according to various Fighting Wings notes) and Byzantium 1908 Ops Two: Theodoric the Least's Return to his Duchy (or not).  I can't type the C- word.  Backwards it is DNAMMOC.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Hofstadter on February 04, 2019, 06:48:02 AM
Obsessively playing new Insurgency. I kinda love it.

I'm fat.

Hey!  Stop describing me!