Combat Mission status

Started by RyanE, May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 05, 2018, 07:51:43 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on August 05, 2018, 04:08:14 AM
This started as a post about the status of CM and CMSF 2. Which I was following as GH is where I come mostly.

It would be a really short thread if that is all that was discussed in it, since Steve and BF don't really provide much to talk about...

Well not sure I see the connection between the length of the thread and it's usefulness
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Zulu1966 on August 05, 2018, 08:25:56 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 05, 2018, 07:50:15 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on August 05, 2018, 03:52:35 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 04, 2018, 10:26:37 AM
Not to mention, the Graviteam games receive frequent updates and DLCs.

And the DLC is nothing more than a scenario. Some.times one or two new units. These aren't major game changing DLC not even minor. Frankly it just highlights another weakness of the graviteam games in that there is no proper scenario maker. I have access to the same thing for free in the CM scenario repository.

You said you like the game...so why do you insist on knocking it at every opportunity? You do not need to attack one game in order to defend another. It really discredits and weakens your defense of CM. Its a textbook example of a fallacious argument. Ad hominem tu quoque. FYI - Not a persuasive way to argue a point at all.

Well as far as the DLC goes that is just a statement of fact. You are the one interpreting it as "knocking" the game. I have bought them all. As I have said before I like the graviteam games and I can see why, mostly due to the appeal of the graphics engine and it's more visceral nature, others like it.

You say I am knocking their games but  in effect I am just countering the arguments others who are constantly using to do what you accuse me of to CM yet you choose not to criticise them.

They are both good games in their own right but others live in this nether world where everything is great with graviteam and not with CM but you choose to ignore that as well.

What I do knock about the game is justified comment and primarily.ljves around the fact that large chunks of it are not explained anywhere that makes them understandable.

It is somewhat ironic that in a thread filled with people's one sided criticism of CM and BF you choose to pick a fight with what i said about graviteam. None of which was anything more than fact ... not actually opinion at all as even those who are blinkered tend to agree with them. Especially seeing as i am not the one here making verbose strident comments about "never buying another game" or "not having any space on my hard drive for BF games"

Have quite clearly said I like both games and have equally bought everything from graviteam as I have from BF. No comments from me about never purchasing a graviteam game again or other such BS. Am simply pointing to some of it's failings. A large part of which is around the game not having a level of documentation or interface that enable me to fully play it properly.

Yes. Zulu...you win. If you say it, its fact. If anybody else says it, its opinion.

My patience with you wears thin.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

dinsdale

Quote from: Zulu1966 on August 05, 2018, 04:00:18 AM
Well it doesn't need clarification only in so much as just to explain what were these trials of Hades they put you through yo make you sooooo anti.

Frankly I have all they sell. I pay, download, install. And I haven't had to interact with them beyond that in all the years I have been buying them. So a bit of a loss to think what they could have Done to you.

It's just a piece of software not a car.

All the whining about release dates and speed on content creation is just a bunch of people who act like kids who can't get their sweeties.

It is what it is and dictated by the size of operation and the fact this is nothing more than a hobbyist genre.

They've done nothing to me, and I don't think I am "soooooo anti" Perhaps you are confused with someone else, or do you assume any critique makes someone as rabidly opinionated about Battlefront as you are.

I was pointing out something you don't seem to understand, and continue to not understand despite claiming the contrary, that customer experience is more than whether the game is fun, hence why people in this thread have said they don't play anymore.

Apparently, that was all it took to trigger your defense complex about battlefront and led you to write a post about cars and sweets.

Ubercat

I personally have no beef with the games themselves or their mechanics. It's BF's absurd DRM and contempt for their customers that gets me. Life is too short to spend 2-3 days on a support ticket every time I dare to take a few months off from playing the games. It ain't worth it.  :idiot2:
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

WallysWorld

CMSF2 pre-orders are available: Combat Mission Shock Force 2  Click on each module to drill down into its webpage with information and screenshots.

But those with CMFS1 like myself will have to wait to see what discounts there are to upgrade to CMSF2.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Jarhead0331

I'm concerned about the upgrades. I anticipate it being a nightmare to get everything patched and working, unless they just make available new files for download. The base game and the Marines DLC, I bought on CD. The remaining modules I bought digital versions. Its always been a difficult, frustrating experience getting the whole series re-installed.

Was hoping it would be a little cheaper to re-purchase the entire package. Was also hoping the entire package would be made available as single file.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 08, 2018, 12:12:53 PM
I'm concerned about the upgrades. I anticipate it being a nightmare to get everything patched and working, unless they just make available new files for download. The base game and the Marines DLC, I bought on CD. The remaining modules I bought digital versions. Its always been a difficult, frustrating experience getting the whole series re-installed.

Was hoping it would be a little cheaper to re-purchase the entire package. Was also hoping the entire package would be made available as single file.

You need to prove you own v1 to upgrade to v2.  At that point you don't need to have v1 installed.  You will get access to v2 as a complete new game with no patching of the old one involved.
So if you want you can have the two games installed side by side.

WallysWorld

I too bought CMSF1 on CD and the modules as downloads. I still have the original emails from 2007 when I bought the game.

I think Steve from BF wrote their new website doesn't track the very old purchases, but that they have records of the early CMSF1 purchases as some other people were asking why their early purchase of CMSF1 was not on the new website.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Cyrano

The discount hinted at is reasonable enough for upgrades, but I certainly share the angst  re: how they'll manage all that.

I pre-ordered one digital copy all those years ago and then bought two others on deep discount when their distribution deal fell through.

I've successfully updated two installs for several years now, but this could prove an adventure...

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Michael Dorosh

I have my gratis copies of v1 which I can reinstall, but I'm curious - I never bothered with the Marines, NATO, or British upgrades. Will these be included with CMSF 2.0 (I'm guessing no) and if not, will these be updated/upgraded separately? And if so, when?

EDIT - ah, I see they have some bundles https://www.battlefront.com/shock-force-2/

$120 for CMSF2 and all the upgraded modules. I have CMSF1.0 but none of the version 1 modules, so I suppose I will upgrade my original and then just buy the upgraded modules at their full price.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: WallysWorld on August 08, 2018, 11:34:31 AM
But those with CMFS1 like myself will have to wait to see what discounts there are to upgrade to CMSF2.

It seems a bit backwards to me that those who supported the early versions of the game should be the last to get the new ones, unless they manage to release the 1.0-->2.0 upgrades prior to the preorders.

Some of the preorder incentives have been nice over the years (though some were mismanaged, like running out of steel-books), but am I remembering correctly that preorder customers were given the same priority on downloading and shipping as the release day customers?

In this case, they're offering a whopping $5 discount.

Grim.Reaper

Well I guess we have time to figure it all out anyway since the new "target" is end of September for release....

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 08, 2018, 04:38:57 PM
Well I guess we have time to figure it all out anyway since the new "target" is end of September for release....

No. We just have more time to wait before we have to go through the hassle of figuring it all out since there probably won't be any answers to the many questions until after release.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Cyrano

If, and I stress if, there's no intention to patch existing installs but merely seek proof that we own legitimate copies of the game and give us a fresh version and license for v2, that would certainly ease matters; and it would shorten significantly the wait.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 08, 2018, 04:43:34 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 08, 2018, 04:38:57 PM

No. We just have more time to wait before we have to go through the hassle of figuring it all out since there probably won't be any answers to the many questions until after release.

Yep, my comment was meant to be sarcastic:)  I'll be stunned if it even releases in 2018...must have been some vacation the person was on they didn't account for to have minimally two month delay.

I don't even know if I can prove I own the first since was on CD and no way I am paying full price again...