What wargame did you try to get into, but gave up?

Started by Pzrjager, April 17, 2018, 11:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Hi. For CMANO, do you need to plot missile evasion? I have a feeling I need to manually beam the planes and not rely on some PK.

-budd-

Let's see,
AGEOD games, love the historical flavor, look of the units and the map but the gameplay just doesn't click.

Steel Armor Blaze of War, it's a game I should like. I've installed, modded, got frustrated and uninstalled more than a couple of times.

Paradox games, not totally given up on them. The one I really want to click is CK2. I stupidly bit on HOI4...I'll never learn.

Some games look like fun when other people play them and I think I too can ascend to that state of gaming nirvana, I'm usually wrong.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Pzrjager

I see lots of people here have a hard time getting into Paradox titles too. I can play Gary Grigsby's War in the East no problem but Paradox games just don't click. For me I think it's the pace of the gameplay... comes off as too slow to me.

jomni

EU works for me and I can easily pick it up and play a short game even after a period of not playing.

sandman2575

Quote from: Pzrjager on April 19, 2018, 12:11:29 AM
For me I think it's the pace of the gameplay... comes off as too slow to me.

There definitely is a lot of downtime with Pdox games. Very easy to find yourself thinking, "OK, what do I do now?" while you wait, wait, wait for something to be built or some research to be completed or some province to be assimilated. For me, Europa Universalis plays the 'slowest' of the Pdox titles and I think that's a lot of the reason I find it hard to enjoy.

jamus34

For me it's been the Grigsby games.

I know part of the issue is I need to just sit down and put the time in but the UI is not the easiest to work with.

I've had better luck with the DC games I've played (Case Blue and Barbarossa)

AgeOD also. I just haven't "gotten them" yet but I typically love the style and the time periods they explore.
Insert witty comment here.

bbmike

^+1 to the Grigsby games. I've tried the WWII and the Civil War but can't seem to get very far with either one.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

IICptMillerII

Quote from: jomni on April 18, 2018, 08:00:37 PM
Hi. For CMANO, do you need to plot missile evasion? I have a feeling I need to manually beam the planes and not rely on some PK.

No, all units (planes, ships and subs) will automatically evade if engaged. Their unit status will change to "engaged defensive" to show this. You can turn off automatic evasion, which can sometimes be useful for ships, but generally speaking the default setting is the one to go with.

+2 to Grigsby. I've played a few PBEMs against some friends, and though I've gotten a lot better at it, I still can't seem to fully grasp all the mechanics at play. For example, I have no idea what represents my supply lines beyond the railroad gauge system. I'm sure if I took the time to sit down and read the manual I would solve most of my problems, but I just don't have the time to devote to that at the moment.

Wolfe1759

Quote from: mbar on April 18, 2018, 08:05:15 AM
Good grief. I own way too many that I wonder why I keep buying them so I'll start with the first three.

War in the Pacific AE  -  When I learned there was no production for the allies I lost interest.
Distant Worlds  -   So MANY alarms blaring and yet I've bought every expansion.
Operational Art of War III  -  Great game, great support from dev. Just bought IV with my anniversary discount.

I do wonder if I lack the intellect for games like these or if I just get bored. < SQUIRREL!! >

Well that saved me typing the same thing myself  :)

Although with WITP I'd generally just fire it up scroll round the map for a bit (with a nice map mod loaded) and then sort of shrug and move on to something else.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

BradS62

The first Combat Mission engine. Played the first demo bought Eastern front. I could see the value there but the long-running blue bar between turns and the larger soldier sprites moved like robots, it just didn't grab me. Also coming from CC and playing live opponents online was quite the rush. didn't help. I have a greater appreciation for the first CM as I see it for what it was - a good (wego) 3D wargame 1 minute at a time.

MengJiao

Quote from: jomni on April 19, 2018, 12:16:59 AM
EU works for me and I can easily pick it up and play a short game even after a period of not playing.

I think I've given up on CK2 and EUIV.  In the end the "graphics" slowly eroded my interest.  Not really sure why.

GDS_Starfury

bought all of the Graviteam library when it was on sale with every intention of making it my next big game. 
the interface and mechanics therein just annoyed me.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Hofstadter

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 20, 2018, 09:45:54 PM
bought all of the Graviteam library when it was on sale with every intention of making it my next big game. 
the interface and mechanics therein just annoyed me.

Could be worse.

Could be SABOW.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

fran

Yep, Achtung Panzer by Graviteam...looked great just could not get around the user interface

GDS_Starfury

I know whats there and I know it' good.
but it's similar to being the Jew invited to the pig roast.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.