Comparing the different versions of 3R / A3R from AH to AP to LNLP

Started by bayonetbrant, August 03, 2017, 09:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I've never had any problem with Avalanche Press and I own several shelves' worth of their games, mostly WW1/WW2 at Sea stuff. They have admitted on their web site that they have had issues in the past with fulfillment and some counter quality stuff (soot from the printer's laser and such) but they are a pretty tiny outfit in comparison to all the games they have produced over the years.

My only real gripe is their less than enthusiastic response to folks wanting to make VASSAL versions of their games. There are 2-3 'intro' games now available as VASSAL but no 'big box' titles. I emailed them several times asking for permission to make a VASSAL version of Cruiser Warfare but never heard back. The game is OOP so it shouldn't be an issue.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 03, 2017, 10:52:38 PM
+1 on GMT's "A World at War" as an amalgam of A3R and Rising Sun.  Of course the rules are about 200 pages long...so maybe I'll play once I retire, many years from now.

I'd love to get it, but I know I'll never convince someone to play it with me. That was the problem with A3R.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GJK

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 04, 2017, 05:51:53 AM
I've never had any problem with Avalanche Press and I own several shelves' worth of their games, mostly WW1/WW2 at Sea stuff. They have admitted on their web site that they have had issues in the past with fulfillment and some counter quality stuff (soot from the printer's laser and such) but they are a pretty tiny outfit in comparison to all the games they have produced over the years.

My only real gripe is their less than enthusiastic response to folks wanting to make VASSAL versions of their games. There are 2-3 'intro' games now available as VASSAL but no 'big box' titles. I emailed them several times asking for permission to make a VASSAL version of Cruiser Warfare but never heard back. The game is OOP so it shouldn't be an issue.

Just make the module and upload it.  I've done that for some SPI titles now and nobody has said anything. Plus they owe me anyways; *they* used *my* redrawn map for JP3R for the official VASSAL module without asking *me* permission. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer