Steel Division 1944 (by wargame red dragon devs) in game trailer and unit stream

Started by Destraex, March 29, 2017, 07:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Twitch stream for deck selection.
The co-host here is so disinterested and even seems to feign excitement at the potential showing of a panzer deck. It's comical and makes the game seem like a joke. I suspect this guy probably wants to be somewhere playing starcraft or anime pink unicorns in space?
Unit descriptions and stats seem simplistic compared to red dragon which uses the same engine I would say.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/132014495

In engine trailer
This trailer definitely focuses on tanks. But does show infantry running in loose formation with foot synchronisation. Infantry probably get 10% of the air time while tanks get 90%. This game looks like a vehicle only party. Well that may be a little negative. But enjoy the "in engine" trailer.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

acctingman

What's a Char B1 doing on the battlefield against a Sherman?

Did I miss something? :uglystupid2:

Destraex

The Germans had whole units of captured French tanks in normandy. However iirc most were withdrawn and their units re-equipped with german kit.
I think this game for the sake of variety and what if includes the original french tanks, but I am not sure if the original french equipped german units included charB1s. However the Germans did use them in many places.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

acctingman

Thanks for the knowledge Destraex! O0

The German's were pretty desperate back then I guess. but come to think about, the Sherman was probably no better than a Char B1  :-\

sandman2575

Sherman gets an unfair rap. It was a sturdy, very reliable, easy to maintain tank. Under-gunned initially, but the upgraded 76mm versions, not to mention the Firefly, were formidable in the hands of a capable crew.

Also -- anyone who owns CM Beyond Normandy (with the vehicle pack) should check out this really well done scenario, featuring a panzergrenadier company using captured French equipment, including the Char and Renault tanks - the Chars are flammpanzer variants too.

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/cm-battles-for-normandy/char-char-alike/

Great map -- good challenge and of course, not your everyday OOB --

sandman2575

Also, more to the point after watching the new trailer -- I can't freaking wait for this to come out. Wow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: acctingman on March 29, 2017, 10:10:32 PM
Thanks for the knowledge Destraex! O0

The German's were pretty desperate back then I guess. but come to think about, the Sherman was probably no better than a Char B1  :-\

The 21st Panzer Division used a large number of captured French tanks at Normandy, mostly re-purposed and upgraded by engineer Major Alfred Becker.

Most of the chassis were S35's converted to assault guns.

The Germans did make use of the Char B1 as a training tank, and it was occasionally pressed into service.  They had quite a few that were rebuilt into a flame tank dedicated to infantry support. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

sandman2575

"In Steel Division: Normandy 44, you will have to create a battlegroup out of one of the 18 divisions we have modeled ingame and which took part in the battle of Normandy. Depending on the division's type (armored, infantry, mechanized, airborne), history and TO&E (Table of Organization & Equipment), the troops and equipment available, the experience, ... will vary."

I have to say I'm really excited by this approach. (*18* divisions modeled!) I think Eugen's Wargames do a better job than most in blending a 'grognard' level of realism / fidelity to details with plain ol' playability and fun. 

mirth

Quote from: sandman2575 on March 30, 2017, 08:52:43 AM
I have to say I'm really excited by this approach. (*18* divisions modeled!) I think Eugen's Wargames do a better job than most in blending a 'grognard' level of realism / fidelity to details with plain ol' playability and fun. 

+1 And an excellent observation.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

FarAway Sooner

This does seem interesting.

I'd echo Sandman's comments on the Sherman.  Just finished reading Zaloga's Armored Thunderbolt a month or two back and it really addresses that issue in great detail.

It was a great tank in 1942-1943 when it was first introduced to the battlefield.  US Armored Command had the misfortune to not understand the nature of the tank arms race already underway, and in their complacency they neglected further development.  As a result, it had the misfortune to be a bit undergunned and underarmored when it came up against Tigers and Panthers during the period of its heaviest use of the war:  France in 1944 and early 1945.

Even then, it wasn't a death trap.  The reliability and maintainability of it meant that we often had 2 Shermans in the field for every Panther or Tiger.  That made it a lot easier to engage German tanks with superior numbers and get in flank shots, where the Panthers were notoriously vulnerable to even the Sherman's guns.  It was an inferior tank-to-tank weapon by June 1944, but in other respects it was still a very good tank.

The 75mm AP round was insufficient for winning tank duels with the German heavies by June of 1944, but it featured a GREAT HE weapon (2-3 times the HE firepower of any comparable tank-based guns at the time), which proved very useful for bunker-busting missions.  Zaloga notes that US Shermans fired 3-4 times as many HE shells in the war as they did AP shells.  It was also a great runner in open country, meaning it could cover lots of ground and really disrupt enemy lines of supply and communication following a breakout.

Nefaro

Quote from: Destraex on March 29, 2017, 07:05:10 PM
Unit descriptions and stats seem simplistic compared to red dragon which uses the same engine I would say.

Displayed infantry weapon stats weren't as extensive as the heavy weapons, in Red Dragon and AirLand Battle, from what I recall.  The biggest stat blocks were for guided missiles and aircraft with a variety of AtG ordnance, so I imagine they're going to be smaller in this WW2 version, as a whole, due to lack of those.

That screenshot of the small arms stats looks like it contains about the same amount of info as previous ones, however.

I've not seen the new stat blocks for large vehicle weapons in this new one yet so I can't say.  Not been following this since I've been on a WW2 burnout for awhile.

This trailer definitely focuses on tanks. But does show infantry running in loose formation with foot synchronisation. Infantry probably get 10% of the air time while tanks get 90%. This game looks like a vehicle only party. Well that may be a little negative. But enjoy the "in engine" trailer.

Infantry were still pretty useful in previous games, especially for the low cost-to-capability in dense terrain, and spotting (which is a great facet of this series).  Oh, and sometimes air mobility although this won't be much of a thing in the new one either.

Apocalypse 31

mirth

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 30, 2017, 01:14:38 PM
Just finished reading Zaloga's Armored Thunderbolt a month or two back and it really addresses that issue in great detail.

Excellent book.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

undercovergeek