Combat mission fortress Italy - Rome to victory

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 29, 2019, 08:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Preorders for $35 now available, game release expected in august 2019.

Let's see how many posts we can go before something about drm, support, or patching is mentioned.

https://www.battlefront.com/fortress-italy/cmfi-rome-to-victory-module/

Jarhead0331

I'll just say it now...no DRM discussions will be permitted in this thread. Please keep it on topic.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

airboy

1] I have not played this series for a while.  How challenging has it become since the first three (CMBO; CMBB; CMAK)?

2] Does it still include a random battle generator?

Grim.Reaper

yes has random battles....

Quick Battle system sets up deliberate or randomized battles based on player specifications

as for difficulty, that is probably subjective based on each person.  for me, i have never found the computer easy but i realize i am not as good at these games as other people.

Elvis

Quote from: airboy on June 29, 2019, 08:46:29 PM
1] I have not played this series for a while.  How challenging has it become since the first three (CMBO; CMBB; CMAK)?

The demos are the best way for you to tell. There are enough of them where you can play a LOT of CM before you've exhausted all of the free demos.

From the old games there is a user interface learning curve that is easy for some people and hard for others. But I played a lot of those first 3 games recently and, for me, the interface is far better (even if more complicated) and I found myself missing a lot of the newer stuff while playing the old stuff.....If that makes sense....

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: al_infierno on June 29, 2019, 10:44:40 PM
Can't wait for this one :D

Why? Some guys in Brazilian shoulder patches? Will there be any major (or even minor) changes to the core game? Any new terrain types? Maybe a fix for the water elevation bug?

Skoop

I agree with MD, if there's not earth shattering additions to the core game what's the point ?  Modders can put Brazo shoulder patches on unis.

al_infierno

I was hoping for new scenarios, not actually sure if this module adds any or not  NVM I read it more closely now, there are in fact new campaigns, scenarios, and maps in addition to the new TOEs and units.  I mean it's a small expansion for an Italian front WWII game, what do you expect in terms of groundbreaking?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

A Canadian Cat

Quote from: airboy on June 29, 2019, 08:46:29 PM
I think the new game engine is more challenging but in a good way. There is more detail so you can see more of what is going on. This leads to a better (clearer) perception of casulties by the player. If you make a mistake (or the TacAI does) you will pay more dearly for it. Or at least see what you lost.

Quote from: airboy on June 29, 2019, 08:46:29 PM2] Does it still include a random battle generator?
Some one answered that there was a random battle generator. I just want to expand on that a bit. There is no random map generator. The current CMFI game ships with around 401 QB maps (I might have a few additional ones on my machine where I got that count from) that you can have the QB battle generator choose from. There are some duplicate in the maps - meaning that the same terrain might be used in an assault and a meeting engagement but the objectives and the AI will play differently even if the terrain is the same between two maps. For example there are 118 different Assault maps in my QB folder. The force selection can be randomly picked. It's not perfect but much better than when CMBN came out.

Grim.Reaper

expected release date moved back to september per their home page

al_infierno

Damn gubmint contracts delaying my CM modules :(

- MengJiao

Redwolf

Isn't this the engine 4.x update for CMFI? And CMFI is the last game that isn't updated to 4.x yet.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Redwolf on August 15, 2019, 06:56:32 PM
Isn't this the engine 4.x update for CMFI? And CMFI is the last game that isn't updated to 4.x yet.

no don't believe so.  already 4.0 plus recent update already available.  this is new module.