Fog:Emp multiplayer 2 -- BARBARIANS ARISE (game 2 running)

Started by JasonPratt, September 15, 2019, 02:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncop

The co-operative type games are very different in character to a traditional game and I know a lot of players really enjoy them so I am sure you will have a blast  :)

It's not for me but I shall follow the game closely !
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Tuna

JasonPratt

It occurs to me that multiple teams might be needed in different areas.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MetalDog

Belgae forever!

Before I agree to cooperating with everyone, does someone want to give me a general outline of what you are thinking?  I mean, 8 or 10 guys all on the same side doesn't sound that appealing to me.  Several 2 or 3 man teams would be more my style.  Having said that, if everyone agrees it's going to be 10 of us against the world, then who am I to stop us?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

Well, originally it was going to be two or three guys on the same side in a barbie confederation. Things have kind of spiraled upward.  :coolsmiley:

Scattered clusters seems like a better idea right now. But we're still hashing ideas out.

(And thus, government barely works and stays out of the way of the civilian! Just like a real democracy!  :D )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

devoncop

Just for info a major patch 1.04 is about to land so you may want to wait before launching.

It will be compatible with MP games but if you make your turn under 1.03 and then it is patched and another player makes it under 1.04 everyone will get the script warning message advising players to leave the game as someone may have modded their files.

Not a huge issue with fine upstanding grognards like yourselves and the warning disappears once everyone is playing using the same version but just something to be aware of.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

JasonPratt

I should look around to find reasonable clusters anyway, so waiting for the next patch seems a good idea.

Speedy

I like the idea of everyone playing minors and agree the groups of players need to be spread out some (I am playing in an all celtic game and it is way to crowded).

Some suggestions for clusters:

Tarentum, Syracuse, Sparta(or maybe Etruscans)
Two in Spain, perhaps Lusitania and Celt-Iberri
Two or three in western North Africa (never played with any of these so no idea which ones).
A couple south of Egypt, maybe Nubia and Arabia
Sarmatia, Skythia(or Alans), Lugii?
Two or three in Gaul/Germania
One or two in the British Isles maybe.

JasonPratt

Those all seem reasonable! -- for Gaul/Germania, I kind of recommend considering whether or not to start with factions close to the Alps (so that you can control access from Italy, with the downside that alpine development takes FOREVER and the Rhaeti faction actually starts with their capital in the Alps); or to start with factions more in the middle (which gives you richer land to develop immediately, but which can effectively cede the gateway into central Europe.)

I don't recommend a team in each area unless you want to instantly start fighting other teams. Nor south of the Alps! (Where Rome and its competitors will tend to steamroll you.)

MetalDog

As I may have mentioned, I have exclusively played Belgae up to this point.  I know Tuna has played in that area, too.  If he'll have me, Tuna and me could cover Gaul/Germania.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Tuna

Quote from: MetalDog on September 18, 2019, 08:06:15 PM
As I may have mentioned, I have exclusively played Belgae up to this point.  I know Tuna has played in that area, too.  If he'll have me, Tuna and me could cover Gaul/Germania.

:bd:

JasonPratt

Nifty! -- things are taking shape.

I'll see if I can look around north Africa this morning on a scab campaign, see what options are available for a group.

JasonPratt

All right, I did some scouting on the pre-map. Criteria: two or three low-maintenance factions, near enough to support each other, with room to grow and not many strong enemies nearby. Roughly clockwise...

The Brits and the Brigands could team up back to back and consolidate the Isles before moving onto the mainland.

(Update: taken by Huw and Barthheart)

JasonPratt

The Belgians and the Parisians, maybe with the Gauls. MetalDog is taking the Belgians, and Tuna will be playing the Avernii (the red area half-off the snapshot on the bottom).

(Note: over to the right, you can just make out the Rhaeti and the Marcomanni, who would make an interesting team -- the Marcs only start with one territory but it's a prime piece of land; the Rhaeti start with three territories, two of which are good pieces of land but their capital, which can't be moved really, is sitting in the alps and will be constantly harassed by neighbors while taking generations to bootstrap up to anything worthwhile! If someone very experienced wants to take that as a team, I won't stop you, but be aware of the challenge....)

JasonPratt

The Goths, Bohemians, and/or Cherusciis, have got quite a bit of room to play in before having to deal with anyone series. (The Bohhoiemi do have the Marcs and Rats nearby however, who can be a problem, especially if another human team takes them.)