Main Menu

Hi from Scotland

Started by Ryohei56, July 13, 2019, 03:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryohei56

Hi there. I'm Alan, from Fife in Scotland. I've been wargaming in various forms since the days of Sinai, Siege of Jerusalem and Fulda Gap. Then along came computers.

I mostly game in the Renaissance period, but anything Total War is always worth a go. In more modern periods, TOAW IV is my "go to" game, though Flashpoint Germany has recently been taking up disproportionate amounts of time.
That is, until I discovered Gary Grigsby's War in the West.

Now my dog has died, I lost my job and my wife has left me. Excellent - more gaming time! (Just kidding, my love - you'd leave the dog.....)

besilarius

Welcome aboard, Alan.  It sounds like you will fit right in with this groups of historical curmudgeons.
Since you have an interest in Total War games, You should check out the multi=player thread in Computer Wargaming for the new Field of Glory.  If you like it, there will be folks who will be called away, so might be a chance to jump right in.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Jarhead0331

Welcome! Just revisited TOAWIV myself. Wanted to invade Grenada and wasn't sure where else to turn.

Anyway, we love Scotsman around here. I'm presently trying to find someone to give me bagpipe lessons. Seriously.

Glad to have you aboard.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MetalDog

Are bagpipes kosher?

Welcome to Grogheads, Alan!  Glad your wife and your dog are ok.  Sorry about your job.  Maybe you can find a way to monetize your gaming.  Or you can hang out here.  You won't get any work done, but, you'll know why it's a good idea we're all behind keyboards.  You wouldn't want to meet any of these nutjobs in person.  ;D
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

Welcome Alan to the Grogheads where Scotsmen, dogs, wives, and the unemployed are all welcome especially if they result in more gaming time. Love the TW series and TOAW 4 myself.  :hug:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Ryohei56

Metaldog, bagpipes are only kosher if killed and prepared in accordance with our strict dietary laws. Like haggis.

Jarhead, you might have trouble finding someone to teach you, and even if you do it can be expensive. A far cheaper way to produce a very similar result is to get yourself a long-tailed cat. Holding said cat by the tail, whirl it around your head. Instant bagpipe music! Or buy a Red Hot Chilli Pipers album, to see how it's really done (this method is more animal friendly as well).