Matrix World in Flames

Started by JudgeDredd, June 26, 2014, 12:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Toonces on December 03, 2015, 12:20:05 PM
I'm going to give you guys the best advice you're ever going to get:

When/if an AI module is released for this game, DO NOT BUY IT for AT LEAST ONE MONTH.  Yes, I put that in all caps.  Let some other suckers players buy it first and play it for a month to see how it works.

You guys need to trust ole Toonces on this one.  Be smart and do the right thing.  Especially YOU JD!   8)
lol - I'll try. Unfortunately, I think the general consensus of it never appearing is probably correct  :(
Alba gu' brath

Swatter

I have my doubts an effective AI could be developed for a game like this. WiTP:AE is a good case study in there just being too much going on for an AI to intelligently handle.

JudgeDredd

True - but a "good" AI is subjective. It can really depend on the player how good an AI "seems"

I'm not a very good player and so get away with having a decent fight against what other people would regard as mediocre (or even pretty bad) AI.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Well, I doubt we will ever find out either way...but fun to speculate.

Nefaro

Quote from: TacticalWargames on December 03, 2015, 03:57:14 AM
Sure I read when an AI is done you have to pay for it..

Watch for the $100 standalone Captain's Premium Edition!

:P

Asid

Quote from: Nefaro on December 03, 2015, 10:46:47 PM
Watch for the $100 standalone Captain's Premium Edition!

:P
Is it the same price for Digital and physical+Hardback manuals?  ::)
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

dinsdale

I gave up on this sometime around 2008 or 2009, during one of the 'its almost finished but I just found 400 new issues so its going to be another 6 months' announcements that used to go on in the forum from time to time. For about 5 years it was 6 months away from release, so it really signalled that any post-release patching would be tragically slow.

Same thing happened with Empires In Arms. Massively complicated boardgame + painstakingly literal translation by 1 solo programmer = disaster. I'm surprised ADG allowed either of these games to be released as they were probably the 2 worst matrix games of all time.

One thing I didn't really understand was after the AI was announced to be dropped from initial release: The Vassal module looks significantly better, and although I haven't played WIF on vassal, other games have been spectacularly good on that platform, what was the appeal of a game with no AI and sub-vassal gameplay?

JudgeDredd

Am I right in thinking the MWiF game contains most of the boardgame modules?

If so - what was the reason behind creating such a behemoth? Why not split it down to it's boardgame modules. Seems to me that would have been much more manageable whilst also guaranteeing a stream of revenue for DLC.

I know - it's called World in Flames - but the ultimate end product could've resulted in that.

Such a shame. I absolutely think this game could've been amazing with the look and feel and play mechanics.
Alba gu' brath

Ubercat

Quote from: dinsdale on December 04, 2015, 12:56:18 AM

... The Vassal module looks significantly better, and although I haven't played WIF on vassal, other games have been spectacularly good on that platform, what was the appeal of a game with no AI and sub-vassal gameplay?

I wouldn't say the Vassal mod looks better. Those mountains are hideous. I also appreciate that MWIF includes the entire planet on the map. I think the biggest part of the appeal for MWIF is rules enforcement. That helps a lot for those of us who aren't experts at the game.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Ubercat on December 04, 2015, 07:13:46 AM
Quote from: dinsdale on December 04, 2015, 12:56:18 AM

... The Vassal module looks significantly better, and although I haven't played WIF on vassal, other games have been spectacularly good on that platform, what was the appeal of a game with no AI and sub-vassal gameplay?

I wouldn't say the Vassal mod looks better. Those mountains are hideous. I also appreciate that MWIF includes the entire planet on the map. I think the biggest part of the appeal for MWIF is rules enforcement. That helps a lot for those of us who aren't experts at the game.

I am definitely in the vassal camp as well.  Without AI, the only value I could possibly see for the Matrix game is as some sort of computer aided training system for learning the board game.  And I would consider the Matrix game for "training"...but at $69 on sale, Matrix WiF is still too pricey for me. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Asid

War in Pieces

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Asid on January 23, 2016, 11:08:14 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on January 23, 2016, 11:03:55 AM
New update
Is it playable online? ..... Is it playable?

Regards

I have zero faith this game will ever completely be playable.....patch notes are still extremely long after many years being released.....and most of these things are still fixing bugs.

Asid

The thing is it has heen out for over 2 years....So many bugs  :idiot2:
War in Pieces

bbmike

I thought solo play was working okay?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak