Common Ground in Wargaming

Started by bayonetbrant, July 24, 2013, 03:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Russian

Or the ultimate example of how a wargame self destructed. Depends on your POV.

Good Hunting.
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

GJK

Quote from: Mad Russian on September 05, 2013, 09:48:17 AM
Or the ultimate example of how a wargame self destructed. Depends on your POV.

Good Hunting.

It's still MMP's best seller (anything ASL) by far.  I'd be curious to know how it ranks amongst all board wargames in total units moved.  A top 10 perhaps.  I don't think that it "self-destructed" in any manner.  It moved on beyond what some people may have been wanting as far as a game goes but MMP seems to have that covered with the Starter Kits (aka "ASL-lite"). 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

I just found the original ad to be a slight nostalgia trip and wanted to share.  I'm not a big ASL player, so I'm not advocating that it's our common ground
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

That's probably the ad that Mad Russian snickered at back in '85-'86.  :)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bob48 on September 26, 2017, 08:54:23 AM
I would hope not.

common ground among wargamers.

what's the 'common ground' today, or close to it?

COIN games?

LNLT?  Probably more ASL players

Columbia block-style mechanics?

bob48

I doubt there is any such thing, given the diversity of subjects encompassed by the hobby. Certainly ASL has its adherents, but its been around for a long time and, whilst I personally think that the rules are not that good, it does provide people with unrivalled choice of situations, nations, scenario's etc.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Barthheart

You've list 3 different styles ... there's no common ground between them at all...

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on September 26, 2017, 09:08:04 AM
You've list 3 different styles ... there's no common ground between them at all...

I know - that's kind of my point.

If there was any common ground, what would it be?

mirth

Agricola is not a wargame. That's common ground.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on September 26, 2017, 09:44:34 AM
Agricola is not a wargame. That's common ground.

The meeple disagree with you!  :timeout:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Are you meaning "common ground" wargames are ones that a wide audience have had experience with?

Back when we got started in the dark ages, there were so few of them that our common ground was pretty significant.

With the explosion of board games (even strategy games) in the last 20 or so years, that common ground is getting smaller and smaller. Especially when you have people arguing online about meeples. ;D

Crossroads

I don't believe there's any common ground anymore either. The crowd is smaller nowadays, at the same time there's a lot of great games out there, both with counters and with miniatures. Game producers have found out how to survive, with pre-orders etc.

That's how it looks like to me in our local wargaming club at least. Not a bad situation to be at, still. Most of times, when there's someone, anyone, asking for a game on a certain platform, there's the someone(s) to play him.

:)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY