What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

After watching one of my favorite movies ("Gorky Park") again, I started reading the fourth book in the Arkady Renko series by Martin Cruz Smith: Havana Bay.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Gusington

Just started Half Moon: Henry Hudson and the Voyage That Redrew the Map of the New World by Douglas Hunter.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Been reading Four Days in September, about the battle in the Teutoburg Forest between the German barbarians and three of Rome's legions, but just bought The Pegasus and Orne Bridges: Their Capture, Defences and Relief on D-Day and German Northern Theater of Operations 1940-1945. It's hard to resist highly-rated 4.5+ star military history books on Amazon when they cost about a buck.

bob48

Thank you, BC. I just picked that up for my Kindle for £0.99
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bob48 on December 12, 2017, 04:38:23 PM

Which one, Bob?

I'm fairly excited over the Northern Operations book. I always wanted to learn something more in-depth about German operations there beyond the Norway campaign and especially surrounding the Murmansk offensives.

Staggerwing

Thanks for the reminder on Four Days in September. I forgot I had gotten the kindle version a while back and not yet read it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 12, 2017, 08:06:46 PM
Thanks for the reminder on Four Days in September. I forgot I had gotten the kindle version a while back and not yet read it.

It's a pretty decent read so far. Be forewarned, the author goes into a lot of background building up to the battle; it's not just a discussion of the battle itself. He goes into quite a bit of exposition on the German tribes but he's a good enough author that he doesn't get too bogged down into details. It's quite a build-up. I'm not to the battle yet myself - maybe 30% into the book so far. The author is a good writer so it's not dry and boring as I feared it might be. He also likes to say things like, "...this is what most historians think, but let me say what I think, and why..." which is good for me.

bob48

Quote from: BanzaiCat on December 12, 2017, 06:35:15 PM
Quote from: bob48 on December 12, 2017, 04:38:23 PM

Which one, Bob?

I'm fairly excited over the Northern Operations book. I always wanted to learn something more in-depth about German operations there beyond the Norway campaign and especially surrounding the Murmansk offensives.

The one about the Orne and Pegasus bridges.

'Clip those corners'

BanzaiCat

I figured that's what you were referring to.

I've been fascinated by that battle since it was portrayed in both the first Call of Duty game and in Memoir '44, but I haven't read a proper tome on it.

bob48

No, I have only read about it as part of other D-Day books, so I'll be interested to read about it in detail. Yeah, played it in CoD 1 it was very atmospheric.

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

Just started Six Frigates by Ian Toll. Only 25 pages in but I can tell this is a special book.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on December 18, 2017, 10:46:18 AM
Just started Six Frigates by Ian Toll. Only 25 pages in but I can tell this is a special book.

It is outstanding. I need to give it another read.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Just in th first 25 pages I found 3 or 4 passages that just made me stop to admire their beauty.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

Finished Ready Player One. A bit predictable and formulaic but it was a great read.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on December 18, 2017, 11:53:05 AM
Finished Ready Player One. A bit predictable and formulaic but it was a great read.  O0

Now gird your loins for the movie... ;)