Main Menu

OOTP 19

Started by PanzersEast, March 22, 2018, 12:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

After looking over and importing an OOTP18 save, I can say this is a good buy.

+ Nice UI upgrade (very modern)
   There are several areas were this has been improved
+ Facegen seems to have improved
+ 3D Park and In game interface/layout is a big improvement

- I still one day would like to have a decent trade offer from the AI

Just a short time with it, but a worthy upgrade.....

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

sandman2575

I'm tempted. I skipped 18 because it just didn't look like it offered much new, but 19 does look very sharp.

My only hesitation is whether I'll actually get around to playing it...

Grim.Reaper

Same cycle for me.....always buy but don't get around to playing as much as I think....each year I vow to wait until all-star break sale, but always break down before.  Does look like some nice improvements and so far seems like not many issues identified yet, although it takes a while to uncover.

DennisS

I have been a member on their forum since 2002, and have played OOTP a hell of a lot. Still, not sure if the content changes are enough to justify the price. I have owned many, many versions over the last 15 years.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 22, 2018, 05:53:36 PM
Same cycle for me.....always buy but don't get around to playing as much as I think....each year I vow to wait until all-star break sale, but always break down before.  Does look like some nice improvements and so far seems like not many issues identified yet, although it takes a while to uncover.
Exactly the same here. I generally missed every other year. I always vow not to buy until it's on sale and then I buy on release. However, last year I did wait for it to become half price before I bought. But - when I saw this thread, I thought "mmm...nice changes, and my last one was 2017 - so maybe I should pick this one up"...then I realised that I had 2018 installed!!

I'm a moron (I've been watching The Goldbergs alot)

Anyway - I have picked this up. I do love this game though I find it almost impossible to work out what the hell I should be doing when I have an injury and, worse, once I do "mistakenly" sort the injury out, trying to place the guy when he's fit again having to deal with options, out of options, not being able to send the guy back down who I pulled up to cover etc etc etc...

But - I do love playing this when I get into playing this.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

JD, just remember one good thing about the game is you can delegate a lot of the activities to the computer if your not comfortable with them yet or enjoy that part of the game.  The computer can handle the injuries and promotions between minor and major club.  Just go into the managers settings screen and there are a wide variety of options to choose.  Nothing wrong with only focusing on certain parts of the managing experience, I do that myself on occasion.

JudgeDredd

I should probably lay those off to staff. Trouble is I do want to learn about it.

However I've never completed a season (I don't manage games anymore, but I do real time them (sped up somewhat)) and it's likely down to drafting, hiring, firing and injuries/options, blah, blah that probably stop me completing a season.

I recall one game (2017?) when I had an injured guy who I put on some DL. I moved a guy up from the minors to cover, but found I couldn't move him back down (out of options?) so the guy coming off DL had to be moved down to the minors and he wasn't happy about it. Another time I got confused was between the Active Roster and the 40 Man Roster and some confusion with injuries there too.

It's a minefield. I have read up on some of the stuff but it is still very confusing to me.

But I should lay this stuff off so I get a season done - but then I kind of think "What am I managing?" - the game will pretty much play by itself if I'm not moving players, hiring, firing, modifying the rosters etc
Alba gu' brath

KyzBP

This and FM are in my Every Other Year club. 

I got OOTP 19 yesterday and like the new look of it.  AVG blocked a bunch of files (read as ransomware) when I initially installed it and I had problems getting it to run.  So far the day one purchase seems justified.

As a bonus, my Tigers are possibly the worst team in the MLB.  They have almost no talent on the team and the minors are void of any real prospects. Plus, they have giant contracts awarded to over the hill veterans.  This will definitely be a challenge.

ArizonaTank

I'm into baseball history...and fell in love long ago with "Old Time Baseball" that was basically a historical version of "Tony La Russa Baseball III"

So I love OOPs quick menu path to set up historical World Series games. Of course previous versions had this as well.

Playing 1906 right now.  Chicago Cubs vs. White Sox (the first "subway series"...without the subway)

"Three Finger" Mordecai Brown (the guy actually had only three fingers) vs. "Big Ed" Walsh.

The Cubs that year had the famous "Tinker to Evers to Chance" double play factory that inspired a 1910 poem in the New York Evening Mail

Baseball's Sad Lexicon

These are the saddest of possible words:
"Tinker to Evers to Chance."
Trio of bear cubs, and fleeter than birds,
Tinker and Evers and Chance.
Ruthlessly pricking our gonfalon bubble,
Making a Giant hit into a double-
Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble:
"Tinker to Evers to Chance."

My only ask for this part of the game would be to allow for historical portraits...but I can't have everything...they should at least let us import our own if we want to.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

sandman2575

Part of my problem with OOTP is that I spend so much more time configuring and obsessing over the (incredibly deep!) settings to create the 'perfect, realistic' league, that I find myself testing the game for its results rather than just playing and enjoying it.

Kind of like my experience with the Elder Scrolls games -- so much more time wasted modding the things than actually playing them.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: sandman2575 on March 23, 2018, 08:45:05 AM
Part of my problem with OOTP is that I spend so much more time configuring and obsessing over the (incredibly deep!) settings to create the 'perfect, realistic' league, that I find myself testing the game for its results rather than just playing and enjoying it.

Kind of like my experience with the Elder Scrolls games -- so much more time wasted modding the things than actually playing them.

But doesn't the MLB quickstart try and setup to mirror realistic league out of the box?  I know there are other settings, but thought the quickstart was supposed to model MLB to minimize all that setup.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 23, 2018, 05:35:57 AM
I should probably lay those off to staff. Trouble is I do want to learn about it.

However I've never completed a season (I don't manage games anymore, but I do real time them (sped up somewhat)) and it's likely down to drafting, hiring, firing and injuries/options, blah, blah that probably stop me completing a season.

I recall one game (2017?) when I had an injured guy who I put on some DL. I moved a guy up from the minors to cover, but found I couldn't move him back down (out of options?) so the guy coming off DL had to be moved down to the minors and he wasn't happy about it. Another time I got confused was between the Active Roster and the 40 Man Roster and some confusion with injuries there too.

It's a minefield. I have read up on some of the stuff but it is still very confusing to me.

But I should lay this stuff off so I get a season done - but then I kind of think "What am I managing?" - the game will pretty much play by itself if I'm not moving players, hiring, firing, modifying the rosters etc

But keep in mind, you don't have to give up control of other decisions, just the ones you don't enjoy or want to deal with.....there are a ton of other stuff to do in order to impact the outcome of the team:)

Nefaro

For those who picked up the latest OOTP:

Does the new UI cut down on the amount of clicking you need to do in order to dig into players stats/history and such? 

Always had too much damn clicking in older OOTPs.  Especially when checking out all of an individual player's stats and info.  Would have to click through three or four damn tabs, or make an extra click just to check out all of a player's contract info & restrictions.

Been hoping they would get around to better consolidating the data in the UI so there were less tabs to punch through all the time.  It's the only reason I occasionally consider alternating a year of Baseball Mogul, when it's not buggy af; because it's UI is so much faster & more convenient.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on March 24, 2018, 10:46:14 PM
For those who picked up the latest OOTP:

Does the new UI cut down on the amount of clicking you need to do in order to dig into players stats/history and such? 

Always had too much damn clicking in older OOTPs.  Especially when checking out all of an individual player's stats and info.  Would have to click through three or four damn tabs, or make an extra click just to check out all of a player's contract info & restrictions.

Been hoping they would get around to better consolidating the data in the UI so there were less tabs to punch through all the time.  It's the only reason I occasionally consider alternating a year of Baseball Mogul, when it's not buggy af; because it's UI is so much faster & more convenient.

The UI is a prettier and cleaner and has tabs for screens, but I can't recall how much different than past versions since I really never had an issue with the UI, no doubt there is a lot of data to get at based on what the game does compared to a light baseball game like Baseball Mogul so does require more steps in some cases.

I do find it intriguing that you would prefer Baseball Mogul over OOTP...although I do get its more simplistic, just can't see how it wouldn't frustrate you on things that you say OOTP doesn't do well (i.e. injuries, etc.). Baseball Mogul most times has its own buggy mess (like 14+ patches last year with very little response in forums).....and although game is easier to navigate, doesn't nearly have the same features (no comparison) and looks like an application that was built in the 1990's.  But to be fair, I haven't played a ton in years so maybe it has gotten better.