Greatest Films According To Grogs: 1970 Championship

Started by BanzaiCat, March 17, 2018, 01:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

And you guys have voted the way I'd hoped you would...now we get these two classic war flicks in the Championship, and I don't envy your choice. :)

Also, just a note: tomorrow's new 16-movie bracket might be delayed until the evening.

BRACKET ONE: 1 vs. 6

1. Tora! Tora! Tora!

6. Patton

Staggerwing

I have to go with Tora Tora Tora. Patton is a great movie but there are better ones. If it wasn't for George C Scott's epic preformance, Patton would have ended up a bit more obscure than it did.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

The sequel to Patton was much more obscure, but those are good points.

SirAndrewD

Tora Tora Tora is one of the finest historical war films ever made.  And I'm a stickler, I've spent my life career and a couple of degrees on history, and find very few flaws with it. 

But....I voted Patton.  George C. Scott delivered one of the greatest screen performances of all time.  And structurally, visually, it's just a better movie.  Maybe not truer and more accurate to history, but a better movie.  I can't look away when either film is on the screen, but I have to give Patton it's due.  Scott took over and embodied the role, to the point where I see him more than the actual historical figure.  The feat of acting it takes to achieve that is simply too much for me to ignore.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Barthheart

Quote from: SirAndrewD on March 17, 2018, 08:46:18 PM
Tora Tora Tora is one of the finest historical war films ever made.  And I'm a stickler, I've spent my life career and a couple of degrees on history, and find very few flaws with it. 

But....I voted Patton.  George C. Scott delivered one of the greatest screen performances of all time.  And structurally, visually, it's just a better movie.  Maybe not truer and more accurate to history, but a better movie.  I can't look away when either film is on the screen, but I have to give Patton it's due.  Scott took over and embodied the role, to the point where I see him more than the actual historical figure.  The feat of acting it takes to achieve that is simply too much for me to ignore.

But, but... panzers?!?

Although, funnily enough they are M48 "Patton" tanks.  :D

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

BanzaiCat

Apologies for missing on the next year's movies. I was out of my place for most of Sunday and it totally slipped by. To avoid messing with the timelines I'll wait till next Sunday for the next one, unless you guys don't care and don't mind a shorter voting timeframe for the next one.

Barthheart

BanzaiCat