Got me some new wheels

Started by JudgeDredd, February 10, 2018, 07:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Gusington on February 10, 2018, 04:39:06 PM
Permission to call you Scultura from now on?
Sure. Why not? I've been called worse  ;D
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

Congrats  :D
WoW nice bike  O0   it looks like it has carbon components, i recon it will weight less then 9kg  8)   

JD invest also some money in a top notch lock and a geolocator-tag (those hidden in the backlight) in case it get stolen you have a trace...
... and go visit thief with a mace :knuppel2:   

JudgeDredd

I've got a decent lock....though one should know that ALL locks are not fool proof.

I'll think about the geolocator thingy...they are becoming popular.

Also - the bike itself is carbon throughout I'm sure - I thought my last bike was light!

I took it for a test ride yesterday. A couple of times up and down a 100m (meters - not miles!) strip of road. The guy asked what I thought and I said it was nice. He then said I should make sure it's right - given the price and that I should notice a difference between that and my current bike.

I explained it was difficult to judge because I didn't have any cycling gear on. I literally had a cycle helmet. So he told me to take it for a longer spin.

I went 5 miles. Now 5 miles on a bike, at 0 degrees celcius, with no padded gloves, no padded shorts, no cycling shoes, no jacket and a t-shirt on should have ended with me thinking WTF...but I actually ended the ride thinking "That's was great".

So - my mind was made up.
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 11, 2018, 05:00:40 AM
I've got a decent lock....though one should know that ALL locks are not fool proof.

I'll think about the geolocator thingy...they are becoming popular.

Also - the bike itself is carbon throughout I'm sure - I thought my last bike was light!

I took it for a test ride yesterday. A couple of times up and down a 100m (meters - not miles!) strip of road. The guy asked what I thought and I said it was nice. He then said I should make sure it's right - given the price and that I should notice a difference between that and my current bike.

I explained it was difficult to judge because I didn't have any cycling gear on. I literally had a cycle helmet. So he told me to take it for a longer spin.

I went 5 miles. Now 5 miles on a bike, at 0 degrees celcius, with no padded gloves, no padded shorts, no cycling shoes, no jacket and a t-shirt on should have ended with me thinking WTF...but I actually ended the ride thinking "That's was great".

So - my mind was made up.

Good salesman.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

airboy

How much does it weigh?

And if you don't mind telling, how much does it retail for?  A link to a price page would be fine.

JudgeDredd

The page below says for the 54cm it's around 8.5kg and £1700 but I picked it up in a sale for £1400

https://www.startfitness.co.uk/merida-2017-scultura-5000-disc-ultegra-road-bike-black-mersclt5k17.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI67_MiOSf2QIVpLXtCh06VApYEAQYASABEgJcO_D_BwE

The link above is slightly different - it had disc brakes and mine doesn't. Don't ask me why - but a bike isn't a bike unless you've got 4 wee patches of rubber  :buck2:
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

bikes have come a long way since i was a kid, remember them being under $100 when i had one:)

in all seriousness, looks like a great bike...enjoy

MikeGER

JD you may like this video  ^-^
...i don't dare to ride on the road, its to dangerous. here you can see one of my typical paths, so no road bike for me. (i ride an older Scott Tampico hard tail, with sprung seat post, and front wheel disk break)

if bored forward to @7:40 ;-)
(technical demanding single trail @11:00)

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 12, 2018, 01:50:03 AM
The link above is slightly different - it had disc brakes and mine doesn't.

This is the result of disc brakes after a crash (Katie Compton - Cyclocross pro racer)

JudgeDredd

Really no need for that  :hide:

I'm really squeamish!!
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: MikeGER on February 12, 2018, 03:56:56 AM
JD you may like this video  ^-^
...i don't dare to ride on the road, its to dangerous. here you can see one of my typical paths, so no road bike for me. (i ride an older Scott Tampico hard tail, with sprung seat post, and front wheel disk break)

if bored forward to @7:40 ;-)
(technical demanding single trail @11:00)

I remember you showing me this - you had "an off".

Crazy trail bikers!
Alba gu' brath

trailrunner

Here's a video I made a while ago.  I am no film producer, and could barely figure out how to the use the movie software, so it's sort of cheesy.  But it shows one of my favorite areas.  The field at the end is especially great in the Fall when the corn is as tall as a person.

(If anyone knows how to make one of those cool preview windows with a Vimeo video, that would be most appreciated.)

https://vimeo.com/25890068

MikeGER

trailrunner, nice single trail you have  O0

cant wait for the day when we get a small video drone that has full (dome/all angle) tiny obstacles avoidance and is able to follow/track and possible even circle around a traget through dense woods in shoulder height and also is affordable.
That will give cool sport video clips opportunities

The DJI Spark is a step in the right direction but its not there jet.
(no side and backward sensors, and AFAIK like the bigger DJI Mavic it don't decrease altitude when the target itself goes down a hill, it follows staying at level. uphill works its not flying into the hill so)

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus