GREAT NEWS FOR METALDOG!

Started by bayonetbrant, December 13, 2017, 09:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8070293/2018-rock-roll-hall-of-fame-inductees

QuoteThe 2018 list of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees was released on Wednesday (Dec. 13) and the lineup reads like an all-star roster of rock radio favorites. First time inductees Dire Straits and The Moody Blues made the cut, along with New Jersey rock icons Bon Jovi and new wave standard-bearers The Cars, as well as soul-stirring singer/activist Nina Simone and early influence gospel singer Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

The 33rd annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony is slated to take place on Apr. 14 at the Public Auditorium in Cleveland, Ohio, with inductors to be announced at a later date; the ceremony will be broadcast on HBO as well as SiriusXM.

Whoa-oh!  They're ALL THE WAY THERE!
WHOA-OH!  Rock-and-Roll-Hall-Of-Fame-bound, baby!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Don't get me wrong - there's still about a half-dozen bands that should be in ahead of Bon Jovi, and even then I'm not convinced they belong.  But it is nice to see another hard rock band make the cut.

Still need Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motley Crue in there, along with The Cure, The Jam, and New Kids on the Block (j/k ;) )
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 13, 2017, 10:15:10 AM
Don't get me wrong - there's still about a half-dozen bands that should be in ahead of Bon Jovi, and even then I'm not convinced they belong.  But it is nice to see another hard rock band make the cut.

Still need Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motley Crue in there, along with The Cure, The Jam, and New Kids on the Block (j/k ;) )

Ftfy

My problem with Bon Jovi is it's watered down versions of "hard" rock.  It's ok that it's popular.  Hell, there's people that pay to go to Nickelback concerts, so, there will always be fans available to bands like that.  But let's call it what it is, Hard Rock Lite.  Or Diet Rock.  Or something like that.  Even then, after coming out of the gates strong, somebody name me three Bon Jovi songs made after, say...1995.  Someone other than Brant, I mean.

mirth

Why should I know 3 Bon Jovi songs made after 1995?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

You shouldn't unless you are a fanboi.  And that's how they made it in to the RRHoF.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on December 13, 2017, 11:20:03 AMEven then, after coming out of the gates strong, somebody name me three Bon Jovi songs made after, say...1995.

Debut album in '83.
Last arena-level hit album was '92 with Keep the Faith

but then came back 2000-2007 or so with hits like "It's My Life", "Who Says You Can't Go Home", and "Have A Nice Day" (and the criminally-underrated Dylan tribute "Last Man Standing" and live favorite "Complicated")

So, first go-round was 9-ish years
Second was another 6-7 of good new music (not just touring on the same old 80s hits)

For comparison, Three Dog Night ran 67-76, but their 'return' in 1981 was basically touring on the old hits
ELO's original-music peak was about 74-82 or so, and everything after that is more forgettable than Bon Jovi's second go-round
Moody Blues ran mid-60s to mid-70s and have been touring on those same hits ever since.

So Bon Jovi had a 9-year peak out of the gate, took a break, and came back with 3-4 more legit albums of new music that wasn't just rehashing the existing hits.  Now, they hadn't done much in the past 7-8 years, but they're not lacking in longevity up against many comparable RnR HoF acts, even if you're not a fan :)

jamus34

Quote from: MetalDog on December 13, 2017, 11:20:03 AM

Ftfy

My problem with Bon Jovi is it's watered down versions of "hard" rock.  It's ok that it's popular.  Hell, there's people that pay to go to Nickelback concerts, so, there will always be fans available to bands like that.  But let's call it what it is, Hard Rock Lite.  Or Diet Rock.  Or something like that.  Even then, after coming out of the gates strong, somebody name me three Bon Jovi songs made after, say...1995.  Someone other than Brant, I mean.

Zima rock?
Insert witty comment here.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

jamus34

Insert witty comment here.

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 13, 2017, 12:41:48 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 13, 2017, 11:20:03 AMEven then, after coming out of the gates strong, somebody name me three Bon Jovi songs made after, say...1995.

Debut album in '83.
Last arena-level hit album was '92 with Keep the Faith

but then came back 2000-2007 or so with hits like "It's My Life", "Who Says You Can't Go Home", and "Have A Nice Day" (and the criminally-underrated Dylan tribute "Last Man Standing" and live favorite "Complicated")

So, first go-round was 9-ish years
Second was another 6-7 of good new music (not just touring on the same old 80s hits)

For comparison, Three Dog Night ran 67-76, but their 'return' in 1981 was basically touring on the old hits
ELO's original-music peak was about 74-82 or so, and everything after that is more forgettable than Bon Jovi's second go-round
Moody Blues ran mid-60s to mid-70s and have been touring on those same hits ever since.

So Bon Jovi had a 9-year peak out of the gate, took a break, and came back with 3-4 more legit albums of new music that wasn't just rehashing the existing hits.  Now, they hadn't done much in the past 7-8 years, but they're not lacking in longevity up against many comparable RnR HoF acts, even if you're not a fan :)

Quote from: MetalDog on December 13, 2017, 11:20:03 AM

Ftfy

Grammar may be your strong suit.  Comprehension, not so much ;)

mirth

Quote from: MetalDog on December 13, 2017, 03:56:48 PM
Grammar may be your strong suit.  Comprehension, not so much ;)

:DD

Martok

FWIW, MetalDog, I'm in complete agreement with you.  Bon Jovi has never been, and never will be, deserving of being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  The fact that they've made it in simply proves how worthless an honor it is. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces