Field of Glory II -- IMMORTAL FIRE

Started by Cyrano, November 21, 2017, 02:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on November 22, 2017, 03:16:31 PM
^I am ashamed that was not my line.

I never thought of you as a firecrotch type, Gus.

The damp sort, perhaps.

IronX

I find this crotch talk distracting. Can we please get back to the subject of playing with burly men in short skirts and sandals and their long, pointy shafts?

Gusington

The Immortals will be portrayed!!! What more do we need? NOTHING.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on November 22, 2017, 06:24:20 PM
The Immortals will be portrayed!!! What more do we need? NOTHING.

Maybe some tricky Athenian makeshift solutions as in: Give your armor to your slaves and when I say go, Go! (Marathon) or
Do the same thing for a special light infantry force of archers and spearmen to drive off the enemy cavalry (Platea).  Or wait until the Spartans go home and then take over.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on November 22, 2017, 08:02:15 PM
You're thinking too much.

I only think too much in moderation.  For just as Xenophon wondered about whether he should wear his best costume to the meeting with the Persians where he might be killed (and he decided that he should get dressed up because either it would be his last day and it would be best to die in his best outfit) or appointed to semi-officially command the ten thousand (in which case it would be an event worthy of his best suit of whatever he wore), so I (on reflection) only try to make a few minor points of marginal interest occasionally.

Gusington

Occasionally?? You make many good points often. But you're  doing it again.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on November 22, 2017, 08:16:05 PM
Occasionally?? You make many good points often. But you're  doing it again.

Right.  Right.  Well the Immortals are fine, but -- even in the Hannibal Tutorial (Tutorial 3) of Field of Glory II, there are plenty of intriguing units.  In fact even the Pyrrus tutorial had elephants and Citizen Hoplites (though these sound kind of like refugees from
Total War-Civilization III-polis) and Macedonian-style lancers etc. etc.  I mean the Immortals are just the tip of an iceberg of weird coolness.

Cyrano

As I commented in my write-up, one of the immense joys of DBx was that moment when you read an army list and asked, "wait, what?"

And reached for the best resource book you had to hand.

And this in the days before Wikipedia!

So great to see it here.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Sir Slash

I would think a big bucket of Immortal Water would handle the Immortal Fire quite nicely. How large are the battles portrayed in this game? Is there a size limit? Anything Gaugamela-sized? Or are they more along the lines of a Gus-sized fight?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

-budd-

Here's some pics with max points and max map size for a custom battle, picture is worth a thousand words. I did mod the number of figures per units to increase them.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 22, 2017, 11:19:41 PM
I would think a big bucket of Immortal Water would handle the Immortal Fire quite nicely. How large are the battles portrayed in this game? Is there a size limit? Anything Gaugamela-sized? Or are they more along the lines of a Gus-sized fight?

Cannae is in Field of Glory II with a 40-square front implying 50-meter squares which is consistant with bow range at 4 squares assuming Cannae had a roughly 2 km front (overpacking the legions badly as happened in reality).  In comparison with the Pike and shot game things are a lot more satisfying in terms of leaders and movement (there are leaders in FOGII and you can move whole formations or commands with single inputs to the UI).  So battles can be pretty big.  2-3 km frontages would be about the limit of what an ancient army could manage I would think and the game covers that very well.

Sir Slash

That's definitely larger than Gus-sized.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Cyrano

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806