Panama Canal Shipping Up 25%

Started by airboy, October 09, 2017, 10:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

The Panama Canal expansion was completed in June, 2016.

In the last six months shipments are up 25% on a tonnage basis and more on a revenue basis.  One thing I did not realize was some shipping is coming through Panama instead of the Suez Canal because a full week is cut off transit time.  Although I've followed this for years, that was not something I thought would happen.

This is great news on all sorts of levels.  First, if logistics costs go down the entire economy is more efficient.  A more productive economy means overall price restraint.

For those concerned about carbon, having more of the shipping by water and less by truck/rail lowers carbon emissions.  With more freight reaching the Gulf Coast and East Coast ports instead of the West Coast, means a lot less carbon emissions shipping the same goods.

For those of us who don't like California, this hurts their ports and their lunatic dockworker unions.  California has less of a grip on the national supply chain.

BanzaiCat

It's a shame Carter gave it away back in the day. What a source of revenue for our government to waste! :)

MetalDog

In the grand scheme, it was the right thing to do.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

Yes, giving it away to Panama has so improved our relations with that part of the world.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MetalDog

Other than that crap with Noriega, what have we become embroiled in down there since then?

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 09, 2017, 08:30:48 PM
It's a shame Carter gave it away back in the day. What a source of revenue for our government to waste! :)

He didn't give it away. He set a date for returning control to Panama.

You may also recall Eisenhower being the one who stopped the Brits and French from retaking Suez. Colonialism had to end at some point.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Embroiled? Nothing. But sure as hell nobody liked us much before Carter gave it back, and nobody likes us much since he gave it back. I'm beginning to think it's just us they don't like.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MetalDog

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 09, 2017, 09:44:34 PM
Embroiled? Nothing. But sure as hell nobody liked us much before Carter gave it back, and nobody likes us much since he gave it back. I'm beginning to think it's just us they don't like.

I'm gonna go with that ;)

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on October 09, 2017, 09:40:49 PM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 09, 2017, 08:30:48 PM

He didn't give it away. He set a date for returning control to Panama.

You may also recall Eisenhower being the one who stopped the Brits and French from retaking Suez. Colonialism had to end at some point.

Pretty sure it was the Egyptians that stop the Brits and the French.  ;)
And why does Colonialism have to stop? If so why not free Puerto Rico?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on October 09, 2017, 09:34:30 PM
Other than that crap with Noriega, what have we become embroiled in down there since then?

Besides the covert Colombian drug wars, the Salvadoran civil war, the Guatemalan civil war, the Nicaraguan Contras, and the imminent Trumpist invasion of Venezuela?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on October 10, 2017, 05:07:24 AMPretty sure it was the Egyptians that stop the Brits and the French.  ;)

from Wikipedia

QuoteOn 29 October, Israel invaded the Egyptian Sinai. Britain and France issued a joint ultimatum to cease fire, which was ignored. On 5 November, Britain and France landed paratroopers along the Suez Canal. The Egyptian forces were defeated, but they did block the canal to all shipping. It later became clear that the Israeli invasion and the subsequent Anglo-French attack had been planned beforehand by the three countries.

The three allies had attained a number of their military objectives, but the Canal was now useless. Heavy political pressure from the United States and the USSR led to a withdrawal. U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower had strongly warned Britain not to invade; he now threatened serious damage to the British financial system by selling the US government's pound sterling bonds. Historians conclude the crisis "signified the end of Great Britain's role as one of the world's major powers".[21][22] The Suez Canal was closed from October 1956 until March 1957. Israel fulfilled some of its objectives, such as attaining freedom of navigation through the Straits of Tiran, which Egypt had blocked to Israeli shipping since 1950.[23]

QuoteIn concert with U.S. actions, Saudi Arabia started an oil embargo against Britain and France. The U.S. refused to fill the gap until Britain and France agreed to a rapid withdrawal. The other NATO members refused to sell oil they received from Arab nations to Britain or France.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suez_Crisis

There's a really good book from Osprey on the topic, too.  It's clear that the Egyptian military didn't stop jack-all.
Could the Anglo-French team have sustained their occupation if the US had acquiesced?  Unknown for sure.  Short-term probably.  Long-term?  Meh. 
Would an Anglo-French buffer between the Egyptians and Israelis have completely altered the historical calculus of the Middle East?  Oh yeah.

In any event, the return of the Canal Zone to Panama was, on balance, the right thing to do.  At some point, the folks that rule in Latin America are going to have become self-managing grown ups, and we have to stop meddling and let them.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 10, 2017, 05:26:41 AM
In any event, the return of the Canal Zone to Panama was, on balance, the right thing to do.  At some point, the folks that rule in Latin America are going to have become self-managing grown ups, and we have to stop meddling and let them.

I of course realize this. I was just dropping a troll bomb there, and it looks like it worked.  O:-)

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 10, 2017, 05:16:09 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on October 09, 2017, 09:34:30 PM

Besides the covert Colombian drug wars, the Salvadoran civil war, the Guatemalan civil war, the Nicaraguan Contras, and the imminent Trumpist invasion of Venezuela?

The Monroe Doctrine says we could, so, :P

BanzaiCat

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 09, 2017, 09:44:34 PM
...I'm beginning to think it's just us they don't like.
You know - if you walk down the street and see one arsehole, chances are, they're an arsehole.

If you walk down the street and everyone is an arsehole, then chances are you're the arsehole

I obviously don't mean that - I love 'Murica  :dreamer: - when I saw your statement, it just reminded me of a saying a guy at work told me a while back...made me chuckle.
Alba gu' brath