Pacific Rim: Uprising

Started by mirth, October 06, 2017, 02:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

You're going to watch Gladiator with the kids?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

WILL THEY NOT BE ENTERTAINED?! -- at least by the gay giraffes?

(Note: check that first by showing them the Domnia AAR.  :hide: )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

The Asylum just needs to stop.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on March 23, 2018, 04:40:35 PM
8.99 to buy it on Amazon. Dare I?

I hope you didn't buy it for 8.99. I'm seeing it for 4.99 on Amazon right now. ;D

Gusington

^F*CK YOU SAY?? Yeah I got it for 8.99 but with gifted credit.

I was thinking of watching Gladiator with my 12 year old, and then the 9 year old said she wanted to watch too.

I don't really remember anything too racy in Gladiator other than the epic violence. Older daughter is studying ancient history right now and thought she would be in to it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

That's weird. I went ahead and got it last night too...for $4.99. Streaming, not DVD. Did you get streaming?

Gusington

YES...and it still shows up as 8.99. Must be a regional thing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I don't think there's anything racier than the standard sword-and-sandal epics of yore.

Pacific Rim, meanwhile, has a little harsh language, but that's mostly reserved for the scenes with Ron Perleman.

Saw PacRimUpri with Dad this afternoon. I went in with low expectations, and those were well-exceeded. My main complaint is that it's practically worse to include a LITTLE of the iconic original music, because that reminds the audience that you really could have included more of it if you weren't shaving pennies somewhere. But the money is up there on the screen. John Boyega does a fairer job as the main protagonist than whoever was in the first film (although he's fine, too). I kind of guessed the twist from earlier non-spoiler reviews, and I agree with them that the twist is telegraphed a little too clearly a little too early.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Staggerwing

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 24, 2018, 05:05:41 PMwhoever was in the first film (although he's fine, too).

Dude... that was 'Jax Teller' (Charlie Hunnam)!

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on March 24, 2018, 11:06:38 AM
I don't really remember anything too racy in Gladiator other than the epic violence. Older daughter is studying ancient history right now and thought she would be in to it.

Violence, patricide, incest. Nothing too bad :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

She's gotta learn about those things some time.

:/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

If you get a PS2 emulator (there are some nice ones around, assuming you don't have an actual PS2) you can point her to the fantasy gladiator game from Lucasarts (with all the quality that implies), GLADIUS!

She can play a barbarian princess, traveling the not-Roman Empire to set up a gladiator team, and falling in love with a down-on-his-luck Roman patrician's son while she's at it.  O:-)

Gusington

One bad parenting decision at a time.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Trying to get through Pacific Rim since last night but have had way too many things to do in the last two days. I'd forgotten how much fun this movie is.

mirth

The new one was pretty dumb even by the standard of the original. There was a somewhat interesting concept behind the main villain, but that's about it. It lacked the Del Toro flair of the first one, but it was still fun at a certain level. Definitely more enjoyable than most of the Transformer movies. The few characters returning from the first movie were welcome additions.

This thing went very hard after the Asian market. Lots of characters, locales, product placement (at one point the male leads were enjoying a couple of Tsingtao beers).

Don't rush out to see it in a theater, but it's worth a watch as a rental if you liked the first one.

They left the door wide open to a third, but I can't see why they'd bother unless this thing does really well overseas.