Pacific Rim: Uprising

Started by mirth, October 06, 2017, 02:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

Quote from: mirth on January 24, 2018, 01:50:01 PM
Quote from: Windigo on January 24, 2018, 01:48:04 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 24, 2018, 01:18:34 PM
Unfortunately, I am going to have to see it with the kids.

there are worse fates mirth....

And don't I know it.

so you have seen Bette Midler in concert....
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

That's one horror I have been spared from
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

I don't understand why they don't just call the Transformers to handle the giant ocean monsters? Is it a contractual thing?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

And how many times is China going to get f'd up before the Chinese government starts complaining about how weak they're being portrayed?

I mean, they took severe umbrage to being the antagonists in a major film about invading the United States...a fictional, make believe tale.

SirAndrewD

What was great about the first film was that Del Toro managed to give it a lot of weight and awe.  Everything seemed heavy and real, and the Jagers felt like what they were, engines of destruction.

The new trailer is just more candy colored blithering action.  Every bit of nuance and care that Del Toro put in the first movie seems to be excised. 

Yeah, not feeling it.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

As long as we get a new soundtrack that properly respects the asskicking themes of the original, I almost don't care how blithering the new film is.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 25, 2018, 01:34:08 PM
As long as we get a new soundtrack

The generic rap song they have playing loudly over everything doesn't bode well for anything that intriguing.

Your tastes may vary of course.

mirth

This may not be totally awful (which is good because I'm going with my kids on Sunday)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/21/movies/pacific-rim-uprising-review-john-boyega.html
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

JasonPratt

Early reviews are variable, but I remain moderately hopeful. I'm willing to respect a script that swings for the parking lot in expanding the lore, at least in principle.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

If it's even passably good, I'll consider it a win.

jamus34

Quote from: mirth on March 22, 2018, 07:22:28 PM
If it's even passably good, I'll consider it a win.

Hell if it is watchable I think it would be considered a victory. I mean del toro is literally the only thing that saved the first movie.
Insert witty comment here.

mirth

Idris Elba saved the first movie.

Gusington

So I should take the time to see the first one?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

You should. It's the best 'dumb' movie I've seen in awhile. Waaaaaaaay more fun than the Transformer movies.

Gusington

Never seen any of the Transformer movies except for the 1986 animated film with the naughty words.

I get the feeling my daughters would enjoy Pacific Rim.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd