Barcelona Fighting

Started by airboy, October 01, 2017, 11:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 05, 2017, 10:53:12 PM
Any nation with 'Cat' in it's name has got to be expected to want to do it's own thing. If they try to leave Spain, just get some laser pointers and draw them right back in again. Problem solved.  :uglystupid2:
lol  :2funny:
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 05, 2017, 07:11:11 PM
I saw a headline earlier but can't find the link now...something about Madrid refusing to let Catalonia's Parliament meet to vote on independence?
That is the case. Problem is, the more they clamp down, the more the local population will get the impression the Government doesn't give two pennies for them and, worse, doesn't respect their view and so turn more against them.

It's a very hard process to reverse and cannot be done by force - certainly not in the long term. That will forever be in the annals of history for the region and people will be brought up being reminded about what "the Spanish Government done to the people when the local area wanted to discuss self determination".

You can do it with fear. You can do it with money. You cannot do it with force.
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 06, 2017, 12:46:40 AMcan't be seen to be allowing parts to break away and have that at a benefit of those parts because that could start a tumbling process.

I'm pretty sure Yugoslavia set that precedent a while ago
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

'Balkanization' or 'domino theory' - you choose.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

Quote from: joram on October 05, 2017, 04:03:40 PM
Well one thing that might disincentivize them would be if the EU played hardball.  Even if recognized as a new nation by individual member states, the EU has an incentive to discourage any favorable  participation in the Eurozone similar to how they are viewing Brexit.

Even if they are a wealthy region of Spain, they may think again if it's worth it when all their prices go up because of tariffs.

The EU has every reason to support Catalonia.  For that support Catalonia is gong to have to give up a lot to Brussels. Spain will be a lot poorer, and they'll also have to give up a lot to be supported after they lost their richest province. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Gusington

The EU stated that the whole thing is an internal Spanish matter.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Think they'd have anything to say to Scotland if another separation vote comes?

Gusington

They would be better off talking to Flanders first. And I don't mean Homer's annoying neighbor.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Every time I see this thread title, I think (and hum) to myself, "everybody was Barcelona fighhhh-tiiiiing"

Sir Slash

Those Catalons were fast as lightning.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

It was una mica frighting.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

Today tractors, tomorrow...tanks?

Lot of mixed signals coming out today. Latest I have read is a hardline quote from the Spanish PM basically saying the Spanish government is hell bent on stopping Catalonian independence 'at all costs.'

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd