My Wee Dog Lady Died yesterday

Started by JudgeDredd, September 10, 2017, 03:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

11 years ago, my kids came back from school very excited telling us their friends dog had puppies and could they go an see them. We took them round a few times, always under pressure to "buy one". Anyway, we refused, already having a wee dog.

But kids can be persistent - and nothing melts the heart like a wee puppy. Oh yes - there is one other thing that can really change your mind and that's if one of them is "disabled". One was born with only one eye formed.

Having found out that the woman wasn't going to be able to sell that puppy and having heard stories of what breeders do with puppies they couldn't sell (though in the woman's defence, I can't say for sure she was going to "get rid" of the puppy), we decided we'd take her on.

This was her first time outside - not looking too sure...

Making herself at home

Looking for a treat most likely

Enjoying the great outdoors

Having eaten dinner

She loved Christmas

She had a fit about 3 months ago. We didn't really know as it was early in the morning. But we heard her yelp and when we looked she wasn't in our bedroom. We went into the hall and saw her lying on the floor. She looked ok...so we just though she had pulled her leg funny as she had done in the past.

When it happened a second time about a month later, we witnessed it and took her to the vets. He said her heartbeat was at level 4 - and 6 was the danger level. So we were given some pills to help with her water retention and to help with her heart.

However, it was always going to be down hill. We didn't know how long she had, but we knew it couldn't be too long.

I got home from work on Friday and she was sleeping on the sofa. No-one else about. I sat next to her and stroked her and she woke up - tail going mental as always. She got off the sofa, started her coughing and wheezing and keeled over. I lay next to her and just tried to calm her down so she could catch her breath...and she did...tail still going mad.

My eldest daughter came home from university on Friday. Just by chance she was going to see some friends in Oxford on the Saturday.

On Saturday morning, about 04:30, my wife woke me up to tell me she had passed away in the night.

She looked so peaceful in her bed. It seemed, and I hope, she past away peacefully. The fact she was in her bed would suggest so.

She has been - as most dogs are - a fantastic friend, a loyal friend, a funny friend and a superb companion and a huge part of the family - a tall order given the size of the wee thing.

There's a huge hole in our family now.

This was the last time I saw her - the night before she passed away. Goodbye wee lady  :smitten: :smitten:
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Sad to read this news.

Remember the 11 years you could spend together.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

My condolences JD. It's sad to lose family members- even the four-legged ones.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Very nice looking dog JD. Sorry to hear of her passing.  :'(

trailrunner

Sorry to hear about your loss, but it was touching to hear how you came to adopt her.

Greybriar

My last dog was 12 years old when we lost her. When she died, a friend of mine sent the poem "I'll Always Love A Dog Named Beau" as her expression of sympathy. Below is a YouTube video of Jimmy Stewart reading the poem. I extend my sincere sympathy at your loss.

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

besilarius

JD, sorry to hear about your family's loss.
It's always hard to bear the death of a family member.  Remember that she had twelve great years with you as well as the twelve years you had with her.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Con

Dogs are the best.  So sad to hear about her going but what a great life she must have had.  In time I hope you get another wee lady, getting another dog after our Sully died has been a great catharsis for us.  If you are a dog person there will always be a big furry hole in your life.

Con

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

JudgeDredd

Thank you everyone.

Given her physical size and the size of the hole left in the family just now just shows us the huge size of her chatacter
Alba gu' brath