new type of astronomy through a prism

Started by gameleaper, August 28, 2017, 08:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

Have you actually, like, grown up on Earth, gameleaper,  or is this your first time here?   I'm starting to think we've been infiltrated by

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

gameleaper

Quote from: Steelgrave on August 28, 2017, 09:35:55 AM
Have you actually, like, grown up on Earth, gameleaper,  or is this your first time here?   I'm starting to think we've been infiltrated by

I thought if I invent everything for myself, I may find out new things no one knows, like my friends you have photo's of AWww

Steelgrave

Just to let you know, cocaine has already been invented. But I suspect you know that.

BanzaiCat

Barthheart

Quote from: gameleaper on August 28, 2017, 09:47:03 AM
I thought if I invent everything for myself, I may find out new things no one knows, like my friends you have photo's of AWww

Maybe save yourself, and us, some time and do some reading before inventing everything yourself.

trailrunner

This is astronomy 101. One of my friends did her thesis on a new diffraction grating (which is another way of dispersing the light instead of a prism).

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on August 28, 2017, 09:55:47 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on August 28, 2017, 09:47:03 AM

Maybe save yourself, and us, some time and do some reading before inventing everything yourself.

I've been thinking of this circular device that could be used in pairs with a connecting shaft that we could then mount some sort of carriage on. Might make it easier/faster to move goods and people.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

MikeGER

Quote from: gameleaper on August 28, 2017, 08:55:21 AM
wow , but I have never seen it mainstream on TV or photos & never even heard anyone talk about it, Ive knew about prisms for years just didn't know anyone was using prisms in astronomy like for measuring the spectrum. It would be great for a telescope to split it for you for a new fun way of viewing

and there is another secret ...when you check the rainbow of those stars (better start with our the sun)
you will find there are black lines missing in the rainbow .... wow what could this be?
see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraunhofer_lines

and if you bring a salt (which contains metal) in a flame and send the light through a prism you will find lines that are at the same position of those black line that are in the rainbow spectrum of the sun?

Gamelaper , we do all this shit not only since 1672   we will do it in space in 2018 reaaaaal big with the JWST :D (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Webb_Space_Telescope )

...looking at IR spectrums ('the rainbows' in infrared light) of freaking exo-planets atmospheres.

BanzaiCat

mirth

BanzaiCat

gameleaper

Quote from: MikeGER on August 28, 2017, 10:06:47 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on August 28, 2017, 08:55:21 AM
wow , but I have never seen it mainstream on TV or photos & never even heard anyone talk about it, Ive knew about prisms for years just didn't know anyone was using prisms in astronomy like for measuring the spectrum. It would be great for a telescope to split it for you for a new fun way of viewing

and there is another secret ...when you check the rainbow of those stars (better start with our the sun)
you will find there are black lines missing in the rainbow .... wow what could this be?
see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraunhofer_lines

and if you bring a salt (which contains metal) in a flame and send the light through a prism you will find lines that are at the same position of those black line that are in the rainbow spectrum of the sun?

Gamelaper , we do all this shit not only since 1672   we will do it in space in 2018 reaaaaal big with the JWST :D (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Webb_Space_Telescope )

...looking at IR spectrums ('the rainbows' in infrared light) of freaking exo-planets atmospheres.

that's really blingin blobby, thx for the links and info , its very interesting

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers