Main Menu

Archery

Started by JudgeDredd, July 18, 2017, 04:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

So my wife bought my daughter and myself a beginners course in Archery last Christmas.

We went in April/May and done the course and really enjoyed it - so we took it up. Went to an archery shop. Got measured up. Bought the required kit and that was us sorted.

I've been maybe 6 times since. It's every Tuesday night and Sunday morning but for one reason or another I've not made every available club day. But half a dozen times.

I progressed after the first two sessions from 20 yards to 30 yards and tonight, I was consistent enough (scoring 280 for my first 3 dozen arrows and 270 for my second 3 dozen) that I have now moved the target to 40 yards.

As one would expect - the further away the target is, the more stable and consistent you need to be. My first dozen arrows were not bad - but spread enough to cause me some concern.

Anyway - what a great sport. I'm really glad the missus got us that beginners course.

Some shots from a couple of weeks ago at 30 yards

Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Very cool JD. Always wanted to try archery. But like so many other things only so much time.

Can post a pic of yer bow? Is it a big proper English long bow?  ;)

JudgeDredd

No it's a Recurve bow - though Longbow does look cool. It's probably the closest you can get to "shooting" something in the UK  :-\

Mine is on the left - my daughters is on the right. I got a more expensive one because a) I will keep it going and b) she will grow and her requirements will change
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Nice looking bows.  O0

What's the draw weight?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Barthheart on July 18, 2017, 05:30:04 PM
Nice looking bows.  O0

What's the draw weight?
oh god. When I was buying them we had all sorts of numbers thrown at us. I think mine is 28lbs? Cathryns' was 18 I think.
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

bayonetbrant

My cousin's son just finished a few days at a Boy Scout archery day camp; he really enjoyed it
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

If either of you Commonwealth types come to Alabama I'll take you shooting clays with real shotguns and real ammo.

But I'm impressed how far you have progressed in a short period of time.

Barthheart

I have fired an FN C1 and an FN C2 but never a shotgun.

airboy

Quote from: Barthheart on July 31, 2017, 09:02:25 PM

I'm guessing in the Canadian military since your government does not allow civilians to own cool guns?

Staggerwing

SDR has a semiautomatic rifle, IIRC, and he's in Vancouver.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Quote from: airboy on July 31, 2017, 09:57:05 PM

I'm guessing in the Canadian military since your government does not allow civilians to own cool guns?

Yeah the FN's were during basic training.

BanzaiCat

Damn, that's interesting stuff, JD. I thought about taking it up when I worked for Academy Sports + Outdoors (some of their newer stores had archery ranges in the back to test them out), and we were supposed to have a team outing to a local archery range, but management got their knickers in a twist over the safety issues. You know, because grown adults can't take care of themselves with proper instruction...

Anyway, I might look back into this, but I'd be worried it costs way too much.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Barthheart on August 01, 2017, 06:51:46 AM
Quote from: airboy on July 31, 2017, 09:57:05 PM

Yeah the FN's were during basic training.

I thought you guys switched over to the C7 in the early 80's. Were they still using FNs in basic or are you older than you look?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

My basic was in 84... probably during the switch over and they didn't let us kids play with the new toys.