Author Topic: GrogCast Season 5!  (Read 2494 times)

Offline bayonetbrant

• Chief Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
Re: GrogCast Season 5!
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2017, 09:04:28 AM »
Gotcha :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2017, 07:10:24 AM »
Thanks for the latest guys. Great topics! I forgot to do the drinking first, so actually paid attention ... On the other hand, just had a wisdom tooth pulled out, still on strong painkillers, maybe that did the trick?

Games that need they graphics updated

I am a Finn, we've got 100 words for 'snow' as well, so I'd go for any series that depict an era with all seasons, but don't have snow versions of the mapboard. I really like the new LnL Nations At War mapboards for instance, two sided, and normal, and snowed in. Nothing turns me down like playing a winter scenario on a normal map.  L:-)

Games with superb graphics

As for the maps, I've gotta go for COH Guadalcanal as well. Especially the beach mapboard is outstanding. They've really done a great job as you guys said: maps that look great but don't interfere with counters. I don't own Guadalcanal, but do have the AtB 2nd Ed with the new maps, together with PoH which looks great too. A great series from this point of view (too!). Manuals, counters, maps, really great stuff. A special shout for the new LnL NaW maps too.

I had not looked at Liberty Roads counters, but agree there as well. Nothing like a little role playing when gaming, and unique counters / formations are just that.

Restarting a game series

With the little time I have for boardgaming, World at War's really grown into me. I really liked the old counters with their retro font. They are a bit of a pain to read, but looking that awesome, I'm not complaining. I recall the old maps were quite awful when I looked at them at the net before buying my first game, but when playing, they are really functional so no complains there either.

Of the box sets I own Eisenbach Gap, Death of First Panzer and Blood and Bridges, so missing only Op Garbo and Untold Stories. With the restart, I'll probably not go for those titles (or their new bundles as they are), but will definitively buy the When the Lion Roars (Arab-Israeli Wars) when it comes out. The new art looks absolutely great though, so I wouldn't be surprised seeing myself buying into them later.

My 0.02 for restarts, for sure

Command and control on the battlefield

Agreed here too. It can be done quite easily so why not. World at War at platoon scale for instance expects the formation HQ to be within few hexes of everyone, otherwise there's severe penalties. No excuse for not modeling this.  :knuppel2:

Good replies/thoughts.

And I'm sure the painkillers helped get you through it. ;)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Offline Crossroads

• Viking
  • Gott Mit Uns! - Breitenfeld 1631
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2017, 08:00:05 AM »

Good replies/thoughts.

And I'm sure the painkillers helped get you through it. ;)

Thanks! And, next time I'll do both: painkillers AND booze  O:-)
Campaign Series Legion
-------------------------
CS: East Front III | CS: Vietnam - In The Works
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 - 2.0 Coming Soon
CS:ME DARs "Into Africa!" (Egypt, 17 Oct 1973) Me vs Berto | "The Crossroads" (West Bank, 5 June 1967)  Me vs Berto | "Riptide" (Libya, 6 Aug 1985) Me vs Berto

Offline Staggerwing

• Arquebusier
  • "Today your love... tomorrow the World!"
« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »
Keep some Naloxone handy, just in case. Don't want to spoil a good wargaming session...
Vituš ér enn - eša hvat?  -Voluspa

Offline Crossroads

• Viking
  • Gott Mit Uns! - Breitenfeld 1631
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »
Keep some Naloxone handy, just in case. Don't want to spoil a good wargaming session...

I was prescribed ibuprofen, don't think that will be needed  O:-)
Campaign Series Legion
CS: East Front III | CS: Vietnam - In The Works
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 - 2.0 Coming Soon
CS:ME DARs "Into Africa!" (Egypt, 17 Oct 1973) Me vs Berto | "The Crossroads" (West Bank, 5 June 1967)  Me vs Berto | "Riptide" (Libya, 6 Aug 1985) Me vs Berto

Offline bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2017, 04:03:07 PM »
New episode today :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2017, 07:53:59 AM »
Talking game catalogs, and travels & battles, and museums, in this week's GrogCast

Offline mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2017, 07:57:52 AM »
And OGRE!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD