A game of Thrones Boardgame

Started by Pak40, February 08, 2012, 10:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pak40

I got my copy when the 2nd edition came out just before Christmas but have only read the rules. I'm itching to play it. Does anyone else have it and played yet? I'd be interested to know what you think.

Also, has anyone played the Living Card Game?

bboyer66

I have the 1st edition and the two expansions which I have never played.  Which of course wont stop me from buying the 2nd edition.

Arctic Blast

Got a game of 2nd Edition in a couple of weeks ago. It was a long session, but that was because nobody had played it before, and we had the full 6 players going. It takes a few rounds for people to get comfortable with the system, but it works really well once everyone is dialed in. Lots of strategic thinking, lots of backstabbing. I don't think it would be nearly as much fun if we were less in to table chatter and deal making, though.

Pak40

Quote from: bboyer66 on February 08, 2012, 10:39:42 PM
I have the 1st edition and the two expansions which I have never played.  Which of course wont stop me from buying the 2nd edition.

LOL, I can't tell you how many games I have but I've never actually played.

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 09, 2012, 01:37:19 AM
Got a game of 2nd Edition in a couple of weeks ago. It was a long session, but that was because nobody had played it before, and we had the full 6 players going. It takes a few rounds for people to get comfortable with the system, but it works really well once everyone is dialed in. Lots of strategic thinking, lots of backstabbing. I don't think it would be nearly as much fun if we were less in to table chatter and deal making, though.

Yea, that first game usually is a time killer. I've read the rules once and plan on reading again. I might even play a mock game just to get the phases and mechanics down so that I can explain things better. I talked to one of my friends the other day and he said he was supposed to play it with his other group of friends this weekend. So hopefully by the time I get my friends together we will have at least one experience player -  but then again he will have one up on all of us.

Lots of backstabbing - always a leads to a good time.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Pak40 on February 09, 2012, 10:12:17 AM
LOL, I can't tell you how many games I have but I've never actually played.

Ugh. This is so true of me as well. I keep slowly making my way through the stack, only to then add a new stack.

QuoteYea, that first game usually is a time killer. I've read the rules once and plan on reading again. I might even play a mock game just to get the phases and mechanics down so that I can explain things better. I talked to one of my friends the other day and he said he was supposed to play it with his other group of friends this weekend. So hopefully by the time I get my friends together we will have at least one experience player -  but then again he will have one up on all of us.

Lots of backstabbing - always a leads to a good time.

I've gotten in to the habit of running through a mock game session before I bring any new game to a game night, just playing by myself as a few different 'people'. It really does help get the basic mechanics down.