Main Menu

Field of Glory II

Started by Anguille, June 13, 2017, 04:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I am buying the manualed version right now. Can't help myself.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Cyrano

With manual.

Now let's make with the Napoleonic version...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Toonces

The picture of the manual I saw on the forums looked pretty tasty.

I'm not a hard bound guy anymore, but damn.

Wait...what did I just say?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mikeck

I've never played Field of Glory but it doesn't strike me as a particularly complex or deep game...although I'm sure it's fun. What are they using to fill a 150 page manual?? I bought the hard copy manual for decisive campaigns and war in the east but there is a lot to those
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Cyrano

There's actually a fair amount of TT rule stuff -- this game covers a fair number of hardback books -- that the digital version shoves "under the hood".

RBS is the man who gave us more types of ancient soldiers than we ever knew we wanted and certainly knew existed.  Throw in some pictures and modifier tables and I'm good to go.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mikeck on October 12, 2017, 10:05:48 PM
I've never played Field of Glory but it doesn't strike me as a particularly complex or deep game...although I'm sure it's fun. What are they using to fill a 150 page manual?? I bought the hard copy manual for decisive campaigns and war in the east but there is a lot to those

Only spent a couple of hours with it so far.  This game bears zero resemblance to the first PC Field of Glory (Which I did not enjoy).  This is a refined and very slick version of the Pike and Shot engine.  At the very least this is much better than anything the old FoG offered simply because it seems to have a functional AI. 

Point is, I wouldn't compare the two.  They're alike only in name.  So far this one is very, very solid.   There's a lot going on under the hood, much like Pike and Shot.  First impression is excellent wargaming in the old style.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

jomni

Quote from: mikeck on October 12, 2017, 10:05:48 PM

150 pages is not a long read. It's got lots of pictures. Even a lengthy sample AAR by yours truly. :D

Sir Slash

Damn! That's worth the price right there. Got any tips on how to stop a charging elephant? Please don't say take his credit card away.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jomni

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 12, 2017, 10:50:21 PM
Damn! That's worth the price right there. Got any tips on how to stop a charging elephant? Please don't say take his credit card away.

Best is to use missile troops on elephants before impact.

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

SirAndrewD

^This.  Very impressed with the skirmishing and melee so far. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

PanzerFaust

Wow, skirmishers now actually have an important role. They can be pretty disruptive in the first phases, they can safely retreat behind your lines and later they are essential to chase routing units lest they rally.

I am loving it.

By the way, word of advice... watch out when you are playing hellenistic armies. You can be victim of your own success. My elite pike phalanx (which was containing my general) was able to push the hoplites they were fighting against back, way behind enemy lines... and that's why my phalanx got annihilated by flank charges by the enemy reserves.

Three lessons I learned so far:

1) If you are playing against hellenistic armies keep a melee unit in reserve behind your line, nearby when you think that the enemy is more likely to push through. Then flank-charge them. Thracian falcata warriors are excellent for that.
2) Use light cavalry to chase important routing units, especially if they contain a general.
3) Cataphracts are BRUTAL.

But I can't seem to find a good use for field artillery...

fabius

Agreed, much fun despite not map campaign. :smitten:

Adding to PanzerFaust tips (not read manual yet)
I had that success with my Roman general too- luckily his cohort kept pushing right through.

1. Always have a reserve. I read flank charge only happens when full side or rear, not 45 degrees. And needs to start the turn on the flank. It's worth manoeuvring and waiting a turn for the bonus. I have beaten veteran roman with general by surrounding them with citizen and other crap Greek Phalanx. Took some grinding down though.
2. I'm having success using light skirmishes to degrade enemy main units and ignoring their skirmishers as much as possible. Using Cav to chase them away when I can, but risky as they get caught in melee and pile-on'd sometimes.

3. Accidently found right mouse button angles the view. Nice to have a closer combat view.

PanzerFaust

Another tip: if the enemy pushes their skirmishers too far ahead, one quick way to dispatch them is by engaging them in melee with your own skirmishers - they shouldn't be running away.

Once they are locked in combat, you can also attack them with your heavy cav or infantry and make short work of them.