Star Wars: Thrawn

Started by mirth, January 28, 2017, 09:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Martok

Interesting.  Thanks for the heads-up, mirth
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Emeraldlis

Nice  :bd: although now I have to read all other thrawn books and Comics before April , haha , good to know though mirth , I'll look forward to that coming out :)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

mirth

Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 29, 2017, 03:27:17 PM
Nice  :bd: although now I have to read all other thrawn books and Comics before April

Nah, those books aren't canon anymore. The new book will be :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Emeraldlis

I hate you , you are tearing my Star Wars dreams to pieces .....PIECES !!!! :P I will read them for nostalgia value , and also to know what the hell you guys are talking about  ;D although even after reading y'all will probably make no more sense to me than you do now  :)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

mirth

Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 29, 2017, 03:53:47 PM
y'all will probably make no more sense to me than you do now  :)

You can count on that

Emeraldlis

A mans brain is like algebra , seldom used and damn difficult to read !!! So I'm not sure I can count on anything ,  :D  :P

OJsDad

Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 29, 2017, 04:02:45 PM
A mans brain is like algebra , seldom used and damn difficult to read !!! So I'm not sure I can count on anything ,  :D  :P

Damn, she's on to us. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

I never thought of myself as inscrutable as algebra

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on January 29, 2017, 09:07:32 PM

Why not - you're always trying to find an "x"!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

The original Thrawn trilogy was truly excellent, and once upon a time Lucas himself regarded and promoted them as the official stories 8, 9 and 10. They also set the basis for all the 'expanded universe' stuff that followed, for better and/or for worse. ;)

They can never be taken away, even though it is no longer feasible (and really has never been feasible) to adapt them to film. But the new material will be by Zahn himself, and I do not doubt he will incorporate as much as possible of the original Thrawn trilogy, retooled for the new canon situation.

To wit, Emeraldis: Thrawn is a Grand Admiral who primarily exists to put some danged competency in the Empire, as a sort of ascended fan-fiction about how stupid the Emperor (and Vader by extension, along with their cronies) had been in their strategies and fixations. The Empire took an administrative blow at the end of Episode 6, but that was all: the fleet destroyed there had been only a small fraction of Imperial power across the galaxy, and Thrawn really regarded the Death Star (both of them) as being a disastrous waste of manpower and material which could have been better spent elsewhere. (He much more regretted the loss of the Super-Star Destroyer Executor, Vader's flagship which you may recall having lost control and spearing down onto the second Death Star's superstructure.)

Thrawn is a sober, serious, logical and imaginative opponent who quickly gathers together vast Imperial remnants for a proper fight against the fledgling New Republic, which he relishes being finally unleashed on. (As the only non-human in the Emperor's upper echelons, he had been considered too valuable to dispose of but too dangerous to keep around since the Emperor well knew of his critical rejection of Palpatine's methods.) He treats his subordinates fairly and even mercifully (though sternly), and likes to study the art of cultures he's fighting in order to learn to understand them better -- the better to defeat them promptly with a minimum of loss on his side and, if possible, a minimum of loss on theirs (anything more being a waste of efficient service that could be rendered to the Empire). He doesn't tyrannize for the evilulz like the Emperor (or Vader), but truly believes the Empire is the best way to bring peace and stability to all people in the galaxy.

He's a fine and epic opponent who puts up a true fight at all levels. Also he has cat-ninjas, who are as overly overpowered as might be imagined.  :smitten:

Zahn basically takes over writing on the premise that everyone henceforth on any side will be as maximally competent as possible, given their established quirks and foibles, because that's far more interesting.

...oh, and there are clone Jedis or something among the opposition, and a red-haired beauty Force-brainwashed by the ghost of the Emperor into finding and destroying Luke Skywalker who as might be entirely expected ends up marrying him sometime after the trilogy although I don't recall Zahn himself going that far with it -- but he certainly set it up for other authors to run with it. Thrawn is the big draw from Zahn's books, however, which is why this won't be Star Wars: Marika or Whatever Her Name Is.  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Emeraldlis

Quote from: OJsDad on January 29, 2017, 08:37:17 PM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 29, 2017, 04:02:45 PM

Damn, she's on to us.

I knew it !!!!!! I just solved a mystery for women everywhere , whoo hoo !!!  <:-) <:-)

I ask myself  'Y' 

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 29, 2017, 09:47:48 PM

Why not - you're always trying to find an "x"!

And apparently "Y"="X" , so that means mirth might find himself either a woman very soon ...or , a tin of alphabetty spegetti  :D

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 29, 2017, 10:23:39 PM

To wit, Emeraldis: Thrawn is a Grand Admiral who primarily exists to put some danged competency in the Empire,

Thrawn is a sober, serious, logical and imaginative opponent

He's a fine and epic opponent who puts up a true fight at all levels. Also he has cat-ninjas, who are as overly overpowered as might be imagined.  :smitten:

Zahn basically takes over writing on the premise that everyone henceforth on any side will be as maximally competent as possible, given their established quirks and foibles, because that's far more interesting.

...oh, and there are clone Jedis or something among the opposition, and a red-haired beauty Force-brainwashed by the ghost of the Emperor into finding and destroying Luke Skywalker who as might be entirely expected ends up marrying him sometime after the trilogy although I don't recall Zahn himself going that far with it -- but he certainly set it up for other authors to run with it. Thrawn is the big draw from Zahn's books, however, which is why this won't be Star Wars: Marika or Whatever Her Name Is.  ::)

Thanks Jason  :bd: that's great to have a rundown of Thrawns character and place in the Star Wars universe :) that would be awesome if Luke Skywalker got married , the possibilities are a lot with that plot . Would he have Jedi children ? Would they stay on the good side ? Or go to the dark side ?
I really enjoyed reading your review , sometimes with all the jumping back and forth it can sometimes feel disjointed, but I feel like you just explained that all very seamlessly :) I'm still listening to the first book , so I can't make much of a comment yet , but it's so far thoroughly enjoyable :)

JasonPratt

Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 30, 2017, 09:36:24 PM
Thanks Jason  :bd: that's great to have a rundown of Thrawns character and place in the Star Wars universe :) that would be awesome if Luke Skywalker got married , the possibilities are a lot with that plot . Would he have Jedi children ? Would they stay on the good side ? Or go to the dark side ?

Or for that matter, Leia's kids... ;)

Yeah, the "Expanded Universe" goes into a lot of that. I never got any farther than Zahn's trilogy, although my best friend from school liked many (not all) of the subsequent stories.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth