Dice Discussion

Started by Bison, January 17, 2017, 11:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on January 17, 2017, 11:44:54 AM
Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 11:40:45 AM
I've been looking into making a dice tower.  I think one made of wood is the route I'll eventually go.  Played one time with one of those plastic Chessex dice towers and I wanted to break the thing.  The noise was too much.

Wooden ones still need felt covered bouncing surfaces in them to bring the noise down to an acceptable level.

Dice trays ftw.

Ultra Pro actually put out an elongated dice tray that I've been using more lately.

My older wooden-walled dice trays took up a lot of space with their thick ass sides.  Could mitigate that by putting them on TV trays next to the table, but it still wasn't optimal for me.  The UP tray's sides are extremely thin in comparison, so more space efficiency.  Plus it just fits around everything better than the round and octagonal wooden ones. 

mirth

Quote from: Nefaro on January 17, 2017, 12:17:46 PM
Ultra Pro actually put out an elongated dice tray that I've been using more lately.

Now that I like.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

That looks like a felt lined box lid!  ???

I agree that the elongated design is better suited to table space....

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on January 17, 2017, 12:22:21 PM
That looks like a felt lined box lid!  ???

I agree that the elongated design is better suited to table space....

The sides aren't cardboard, but they also aren't heavy wood.  I can't tell exactly what they are.. some kind of wood aggregate I'm sure.. because it also has thick paper glued over it, along with felt on the inside of the walls and bottom.

Not as sturdy as the big wooden .... dice trays, but it's rectangular shape and thinner sides just fits better around my games and makes more efficient use of table space.  Especially when it's being used from multiple sides of the table.

Rolling dice on my game mats quiets them enough.  But I'm always concerned about people tossing my dice off the table.  This is an extra concern when it comes to boardgames which have their own custom dice, which are often limited in number.  Interrupting the game, due to moving furniture in a dice search, just sucks.

Barthheart

Yeah I agree with the shape. I never like the foot print of traditional dice trays.

bayonetbrant

Come to Origins!

There's about 12-15 different vendors selling all manner of dice, dice bags, and dice towers :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

plus you get the free Origins d6 they give out every year
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 17, 2017, 12:33:16 PM
plus you get the free Origins d6 they give out every year

Still haven't gotten one of these...  :P

BanzaiCat

DICE DICE DICE DICE DIIIIIIIICCEEEEEE

I bought a 12" circular dice tray...was getting tired of stray dice/falling-off-the-table dice. Now the challenge is finding a spot for a 12" dice tray, LOL. Still I envision it being very handy for games like Fortune and Glory or other dice-heavy games.

Bison

I saw a wooden tray at Hobby Lobby I considered picking up to use as a dice tray.  I would of course add a thin foam core board and felt to the bottom.

bbmike

I bought those during the holiday sales. They are really heavy and should last forever.

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 17, 2017, 12:32:54 PM
Come to Origins!

There's about 12-15 different vendors selling all manner of dice, dice bags, and dice towers :)

That's what worries me.  :-[
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 03:12:00 PM
I saw a wooden tray at Hobby Lobby I considered picking up to use as a dice tray.  I would of course add a thin foam core board and felt to the bottom.

I've wanted to do something like that with a smaller-than-normal one.

Have seen people do some gameplay vids, who had their own custom-made dice trays.  The nice ones seem to be relatively small wood picture frames that they've glued a proper "bottom" onto, along with felt above and below that bottom. 

They look pretty good and aren't too damn big like many of the wood trays. 

Just haven't bothered perusing wood picture frames at Hobby Lobby.  Especially since I picked up that rectangular Ultra Pro one.

Bison

I do like the looks of the Ultra Pro you posted.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 03:26:35 PM
I do like the looks of the Ultra Pro you posted.

I would've preferred it shorter in length, but not gonna complain too much since it still fits in better on the table.

BanzaiCat

Oh yeah, that 11.5" one is the one I grabbed. Good tray.