What's Cool in Science This Week?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2017, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

"OK, but what kind of game could possibly need dice with that many sides"?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Sir Slash

My luck. "Your twin brother is going into space for a year so you have to do everything just like he does including drinking your own recycled pee and no alcohol or sex".  :'(   Still a very interesting article. Thanks for the post.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

Cars available via 3D printing coming in 2019.   From the looks of it, not sure I'd want to get in one just yet...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

I would need to 3-D print a set of 'Jaws of Life' to get me out of the damned thing.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Emeraldlis

^ that's so cool! 2 billion years ago sounds like a long time, but in our planets history it isn't. Scientists reckon the earth is about 4 billion years old, so if you put that on a timeline of geological events happening on the earth, it would be at the midway point. I'm fairly happy though that I wouldn't have been around then to be so close to a natural nuclear reactor, and radioactive uranium at that   :bd: Although the sun is a natural nuclear reactor, but its 149.6 million Km away from the earth...... A safe distance  :D

Cool video though, the atom splitting animation and explanation was great to watch  O0
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

Could be Nessie's Dongle. And little as it is could explain why he never shows his face.

Sir Slash

The 7 foot ones are still just babies here in Fla. They're probably running up north so the really big ones can't eat them. See, nothing to be alarmed about?

Pete Dero

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43557446

China's defunct space lab, Tiangong-1, should fall to Earth over the weekend.

At over 10m in length and weighing more than 8 tonnes, it is larger than most of the man-made objects that routinely re-enter Earth's atmosphere.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Pete Dero on March 30, 2018, 11:08:17 AM

At over 10m in length and weighing more than 8 tonnes, it is larger than most of the man-made objects that routinely re-enter Earth's atmosphere.

Cool science for most of Europe maybe, but the Continental US is further south and right along the debris reentry corridor. Time to pile some old mattresses on my roof.

Hmmm, I wonder how much I could get for any of those Tigerdong-1 pieces on eBay...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Pete Dero

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 30, 2018, 11:20:02 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on March 30, 2018, 11:08:17 AM

Cool science for most of Europe maybe, but the Continental US is further south and right along the debris reentry corridor. Time to pile some old mattresses on my roof.

Hmmm, I wonder how much I could get for any of those Tigerdong-1 pieces on eBay...

As noted in the article : experts say there is very low risk that any parts of Tiangong that do not burn up will hit a populated area.

It could be 'cool' if one saw the bigger parts burn up in the atmosphere as a fireball.