GMT's New P500s

Started by Nefaro, November 19, 2016, 07:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 11, 2017, 08:18:46 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on October 11, 2017, 08:00:43 PM
Quote from: ComradeP on September 23, 2017, 08:12:38 AM
A new battalion level Bulge game, inspired by several classics, on the P500 list this month: A time for trumpets. It's selling like hotcakes.

A Time for Trumpets...that's the title of a massive Bulge book by a guy who was an infantry captain in the battle.  I'll go look at the game.

Not particularly excited about the Bulge at the moment.  But it looks like somebody might want to check on the Latin that tends to surface in the Pendragon thing.  Sure its just a counter-insurgency but wouldn't Adventus Saxon(some plural 2nd declension like -orum) need to be a genitive?  Its the Adventus of the Saxons, not the Saxon Advent. right?

Oh, dear.  I looked this up on the internets and it is Adventus Saxonum (or the more logical Adventus Anglorum) ie the Saxon Arrival or the Arrival of the Angles.  So somebody else ought to check on Pendragon for a change.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

It's not a "battalion" from 2ACR.  It's a "squadron"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

The unit size symbol looks to be a regiment on that unit.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 12, 2017, 05:55:51 AM
The unit size symbol looks to be a regiment on that unit.

you're right - I didn't even look at that.  I was just referring to the terminology.  In the cav, "battalions" are called "squadrons".  It's a cav thing  :cowboy:
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

No, I get that. I thought 'squadron' denoted a much smaller unit but I was wrong.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 12, 2017, 06:30:40 AM
No, I get that. I thought 'squadron' denoted a much smaller unit but I was wrong.

US Army
(everyone else)  Brigade -> Battalion -> Company -> Platoon
(cav)  Regiment -> Squadron -> Troop -> Platoon
(artillery)    Brigade -> Battalion -> Battery -> Platoon

Note that in the US Army at this point, the "regiment" is a ceremonial designation, and not a maneuver element, except in the cav.

the Brits are even weirder, b/c they use "troop" for "platoon" and "squadron" for "company"

BanzaiCat

It's funny because it came up while I was reviewing War in the Wind. There's a couple of Recon/Scout companies involved in the invasion of Attu, marked with a cavalry symbol, and several platoon-sized elements with cav symbols (which can be broken off from the Recon or Scout companies if the US player so desires). I kept thinking the platoon elements were 'troops' but I knew I was incorrect. Glad I didn't do a video review and screw that up on camera.

bbmike

^You do reviews for this site?  :-"
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on October 12, 2017, 08:26:12 AM
^You do reviews for this site?  :-"

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

I think I have one or two more than y'all do.

mirth

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 12, 2017, 08:35:05 AM

I, for one, look forward to the deluge of submissions from both Mirth and BBMike for consideration for the front page.

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 12, 2017, 08:44:41 AM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 12, 2017, 08:35:05 AM

I, for one, look forward to the deluge of submissions from both Mirth and BBMike for consideration for the front page.

The front what now?