Greetings from the land of eternal sunshine

Started by Xenophon, March 30, 2016, 04:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenophon

Greetings from sunny Southern California! I've been looking for an active traditional wargaming community for quite some time and thus far I've had little luck. Until today when a beta tester pointed me here and it looks as though I have found what I've been looking for!

I was raised as on table top games, mainly SPI and Avalon Hill with a particular love for Fulda Gap and Blitzkrieg. Though as a child I was obsessed with SPI's War of the Ring and ultimately went so far as to start writing my own custom rules and scenarios which sparked a passion for game design that remains with me to this day. These days I'm working on my Masters degree in history with a focus on 20th century European political history whilst working as a developer/historical researcher on a brigade level World War 2 simulator called CAOS by Nemeton Singularity Simulations.

Currently I mostly play computer wargames as fellow board gamers have grown few and far between in this neck of the woods. Developing and testing CAOS dominates my free time but I have played Hearts of Iron III, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis IV (anything Paradox Interactive publishes really) extensively, though in the rare event I have ample free time on my hands I'll fire up War in the Pacific.

Glad to meet you all and I look forward to joining the community.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Greetings!  Whereabouts in SoCal?  I've traveled a lot of it in my day, and have family in Poway and Palm Springs.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Xenophon

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 30, 2016, 05:23:53 PM
Greetings!  Whereabouts in SoCal?  I've traveled a lot of it in my day, and have family in Poway and Palm Springs.

I live near Hemet/Temecula, actually only about an hour away from Palm Springs.

MetalDog

Welcome to Grogheads, Xenephon!  From your introductory paragraph, I think you'll fit in quite well here.  Glad you found us!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Xenophon on March 30, 2016, 05:54:27 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 30, 2016, 05:23:53 PM

I live near Hemet/Temecula, actually only about an hour away from Palm Springs.

passed thru there on my way from Ft Irwin to San Diego a few times :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Xenophon

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 30, 2016, 06:08:43 PM
passed thru there on my way from Ft Irwin to San Diego a few times :)

As someone who has called Hemet home most of my life I can confirm that passing through is all you want to do! Temecula on the other hand, they have amazing vineyards there, I particularly recommend Leoness Cellars.

Sir Slash

Welcome Xenophon to the Grogs. Ten posts and no derailment-- a record?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

OJsDad

Welcome to the land of nuts and grogs Xenophon.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.