Main Menu

Robin Williams

Started by Labbug, August 11, 2014, 06:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

This is just sad. I think perhaps it's time to re-watch some of his standup material.

And of course, while the talking heads are blathering about 'we should give his family some space', they're showing footage shot by a goddamn news helicopter hovering around the house. Infuriating.

Jarhead0331

I don't get it. I'm going to speak honestly and say he annoyed the shit out of me. I enjoyed some of his movies, but overall I thought his hyper ADD style comedy was extremely overrated. I never understood why he was labeled as a comedic genius. That being said, I was stunned by this news and am saddened by his loss.

Then again....suicide? Great, another dead celebrity who despite having a great job, a great life and lots of money, just couldn't find the will to live another day in the cruel world of Hollywood.

Look at the bright side, now that he is dead, we don't have to be reminded that Muslim extremists are beheading Christian children in Iraq, for a couple days.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

Official twitter post from Motion Picture Academy (the guys that do the Oscars)

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 12, 2014, 05:16:49 AM
I don't get it. I'm going to speak honestly and say he annoyed the shit out of me. I enjoyed some of his movies, but overall I thought his hyper ADD style comedy was extremely overrated. I never understood why he was labeled as a comedic genius. That being said, I was stunned by this news and am saddened by his loss.

Then again....suicide? Great, another dead celebrity who despite having a great job, a great life and lots of money, just couldn't find the will to live another day in the cruel world of Hollywood.

Look at the bright side, now that he is dead, we don't have to be reminded that Muslim extremists are beheading Christian children in Iraq, for a couple days.

Wow. And I thought I was too soon with my now deleted comment...

JH, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that your wife won't let you in the store with her when she goes shopping for fine china...  :))
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

i cant say im a fan, im neither here or there, but reading and rooting around last night to understand the massive outpour of emotion and sense of loss it does appear that he'd lost all his money to three ex wives, and his last 3 projects including Night at the museum 3, mrs doubtfire 2 and the crazy people (?) were merely to pay the bills

and then theres the drugs, alcohol and depression that i dont even pretend to understand

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 12, 2014, 05:38:00 AM

i cant say im a fan, im neither here or there, but reading and rooting around last night to understand the massive outpour of emotion and sense of loss it does appear that he'd lost all his money to three ex wives, and his last 3 projects including Night at the museum 3, mrs doubtfire 2 and the crazy people (?) were merely to pay the bills

and then theres the drugs, alcohol and depression that i dont even pretend to understand

Moral of the story?  Women are the root of all evil.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Airborne Rifles

He did USO tours to Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere over the years. He will certainly be missed.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 12, 2014, 06:17:51 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 12, 2014, 05:38:00 AM

Moral of the story?  Women are the root of all evil.

amen to that

Gusington

I loved him but I have met many people who did find him very annoying, like JH.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

We actually saw him in person at E3 back in 2003. When I was with Wargamer then, we went to cover the show, and we saw him there trying to be incognito. Apparently he was a HUGE gaming fan and always had been. He didn't want attention drawn to himself but he allowed one guy to take a photo with him. I wish I had stepped up but he looked uncomfortable being recognized and I didn't want to call attention to him.

He certainly had his demons to deal with. It's been said that comedians are usually the darkest of souls and some of the most depressed individuals you'll ever meet. I didn't realize he had three ex-wives, though it makes sense now why Mrs. Doubtfire 2 was in pre-production. I didn't know there was a Night At The Museum 3.

One of my all-time favorite movies is Awakenings, which Williams was the lead in.

RIP.

bayonetbrant

a lot of my gaming friends on Facebook have been posting notes about meeting him at conventions or playing games with him. More than a few painted miniatures for him or sold him some of their games
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Steelgrave

Of all the performances he's done, his role in "Good Will Hunting" (which netted him an Oscar) will always be my favorite memory of Robin Williams. I loved his comedy, but he had some serious acting chops as well.

bayonetbrant

if you want great drama out of him, he was creepy as hell in One Hour Photo.  And that was his first really no-comedy-at-all dramatic role, so it was even creepier to see the court jester turn into this stalker guy that just drove families nuts.

But yeah, Good Will Hunting is still one of my all-time favorite roles for him.  I'd take it over GMV any day.

Jarhead0331

I think some of his best dramatic work was in Dead Poets Society. That is an incredible film.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Steelgrave