Main Menu

Star Ruler 2

Started by Jarhead0331, July 17, 2014, 09:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vyshka

They are streaming a multiplayer game of the expansion at the moment:

https://www.twitch.tv/blindmindstudios

bbmike

Looks like the developers just made this Open Source. Should be interesting to see what happens now.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/282590/discussions/1/1710690176754840807/
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sparhawk

It will be interesting to see what becomes of it. I was pleased with the what seemed to me as an innovative tech tree ( I liked the tech tree in the first Star Ruler as well).

WYBaugh

Simple compile with VS 2017 Community Edition.  Locked up debugging but ran with no issues as a standalone.  Pretty sweet...give me something to try and figure out what they're doing in C++.

OJsDad

Thanks Vyshka.  This was on my steam wishlist. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

solops

The interface ruined this otherwise fine game for me. If they had managed something smoother and more conventional I think it would have done very well.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

The developers' attitude ruined this game for me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 23, 2018, 09:56:36 AM
The developers' attitude ruined this game for me.

Well, now anyone can be a developer for this game (and it's free) :)

OJsDad

Can anyone here help me.  I downloaded the code, and load into Visual Studio 2017.  I then try to build it, but get the following error.

1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(36,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.17134.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
1>Done building project "util.vcxproj" -- FAILED.

I downloaded the SDK, actually, it looks like a slightly newer version.  I launched VS again, and tried to build again, but get the same error.  What am I doing wrong or missing.

This is the SDK I downloaded.  Is there something within VS that I need to tell it to use/find the SDK?  https://developer.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk

Thanks.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Ok, I finally got passed the errors I posed above. 

I did the build on the Star Ruler 2 project, I right clicked on it and select build.  I direct called x64 is created, with a directory inside there called Debug.  There are a bunch of obj files in there, but I'm not seeing an EXE.  Do I need to this directory somewhere else.  What about an EXE file.

Thanks.

WYBaugh

Not sure if you found it yet but under the root of the StarRule2-Source-master is a bin directory.  Go there and then win64.   The .exe is there.

OJsDad

Thanks WYBaugh.

I redownloaded the source code last night, as I wasn't sure if I had screwed something up.  Now, then building the project, it get an error "Cannot open input file 'glfw64.lib'"  I don't see that lib in the source code folder.

WYBaugh

I see it in StarRuler2-Source-master\source\lib\win64

WYBaugh

Did you extract the zip and keep the directory structure?

WYBaugh

Try this...in the solution there is a GLFW project (almost at the top of the solution).  Right click on GLFW and select rebuild.  It will rebuild the source and put the .lib out in the directory I posted above.