Main Menu

Time for a new rig!

Started by Steelgrave, January 29, 2012, 04:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Nice looking rig Toonces.  Just remember professional wiring.  Seriously.  I'm not even messing around with this recommendation.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Bison on February 05, 2012, 09:04:55 PM
Nice looking rig Toonces.  Just remember professional wiring.  Seriously.  I'm not even messing around with this recommendation.

I agree wire management is key.  That was one of the toughest parts when I built my computer.  Thankfully the case I bought made it easy to route the cables through the back of the case leaving plenty of room for air flow around the important components.

Here is a couple pics of my completed rig

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Bison

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Bison on February 05, 2012, 10:14:13 PM
Nice!

Thanks, Im not sure which is more impressive the computer or the negotiations I had with the wife to let me buy it.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Bison

Quote from: SCDJ on February 05, 2012, 10:15:39 PM
Thanks, Im not sure which is more impressive the computer or the negotiations I had with the wife to let me buy it.

Anytime a man comes out with a victory after negotiating with the wife it's a great.

Steelgrave

Say hello to my little friend.......

Ibuypower's Gamer Paladin 858 with upgrades to power supply and sound suppression: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Paladin_D858
Noise Reduction: Advanced - iBUYPOWER Harmony SRS Sound Reduction System
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2320 Processor (4x 3.0GHz/6MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling: Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)
Memory: 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 - 2GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
Power Supply: 800 Watt - Standard
Primary Hard Drive:1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Optical Drive
[12X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black
Flash Media Reader / Writer
12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black

TheCommandTent

Very nice rig Steelgrave.  How long until you get it?

Steelgrave

Around the 23rd. My Dell XPS hasn't quite bit the big one yet so I'm not rushing it. It came down to the Alienware X-51 and this, and when I had tweaked the two systems to within $100 of each other, every single component of the Paladin was as good as or better (better in most cases) than the Alienware.

She Who Must Be Obeyed cut my budget from $1500 to $1200, so I hit the mark almost exactly   :D

TheCommandTent

Always good to keep SWMBO happy.  When you get it we want pictures :)

Steelgrave

Quote from: SCDJ on February 09, 2012, 06:34:53 PM
Always good to keep SWMBO happy.  When you get it we want pictures :)

You betcha! Pure gaming goodness, that's what I like.

Bison

Quote from: Steelgrave on February 09, 2012, 04:58:58 PM

Ibuypower's Gamer Paladin 858 with upgrades to power supply and sound suppression: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Paladin_D858
Processor Cooling: Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)
Primary Hard Drive:1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Optical Drive

Looks like it'll be a sweet rig Steelie.  Plus on the upside you can do incremental upgrades over the next few years, so that the Other Half doesn't freak about the cost as much.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Bison on February 12, 2012, 03:35:02 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on February 09, 2012, 04:58:58 PM

Optical Drive

Looks like it'll be a sweet rig Steelie.  Plus on the upside you can do incremental upgrades over the next few years, so that the Other Half doesn't freak about the cost as much.

Shhhh, all these years she has thought that I was simply opening up my Dell for cleaning!

MIGMaster

QuotePlus on the upside you can do incremental upgrades over the next few years,

The married man's dirty little secret - incremental upgrades  ;)

Toonces

Excellent choice, SG.  It looks like we got about the same computer.  I added a little bit to mine: 2TB HD, 16GB RAM, and one or two other things.  I just didn't want to screw around anymore.  I should be able to actually install all my Steam games on my internal HD now instead of onto an external drive like I currently have them installed.

It shipped yesterday and should be at my door before 5pm tomorrow (Friday).  It looks like I'm in for quite a gaming weekend!  Oh Skyrim, I have missed you.  I can't wait to see you at ultra video settings!

@SW:  I don't think it's the PSU.  This computer has been a headache since I bought it.  I've never really like it.  It's always seemed quirky for lack of a better word.  I had been getting these random lockups that would take repeated restarts to overcome for a while.  A year ago or so I put in a better video card and a 650W PSU.  For a while the computer was running ok but then I started getting these lockups and crashes again.  They've been getting worse for a while.  Finally, I got one or two that no amount of restarting seemed to fix.  After like 20 restarts over a week, one day I turned it on again on a whim and it booted up and ran for about a week.  Then I was playing some game and it locked up and that's it.  No amount of restarting will get it to come on again.  Once I got it to go to the setup screen during boot up and it locked up on that screen before I could save the settings.

It could be something as simple as a driver issue, but I guess ultimately I'm just tired of trying to figure it out.  I hated Vista anyway.  So, I just decided to say fuck it and start over with a new computer.  I'm happy with the decision.  For as much gaming as I do, it's worth my time and money to not have to deal with this headache anymore, or burn anymore mental energy trying to figure out what exactly is not working properly.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Steelgrave

Got mine today and the first thing I did was load Skyrim. My graphics were pretty minimal and I thought Skyrim looked terrific. But when I fired up Skyrim for the first time on my new rig, I saw the words "set to ultra high graphics".

And oh my God.....

Confession time. I've put in right at two hundred hours in Skyrim. And these graphics are so awesome I can see myself putting in double that.

My only issue is that the sound is not working. I opened the case and checked all the connections, reinstalled the software and nada. I'm going to rinse and repeat and if the results are the same, I'll be calling Ibuypower. But my initial impressions are good. It's a quiet monster of a machine.