Best Solitaire Games

Started by PanzersEast, February 02, 2014, 09:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Quote from: PanzersEast on February 08, 2014, 08:54:03 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 06, 2014, 03:18:47 PM

I just ordered the new boxed version of Cruel Necessity (solitaire English Civil War wargame)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70519/cruel-necessity

Damn You.... I purchased as well.  After seeing some LPs on it, it looks amazing and has interesting decisions and balance.

PE

Ok, how does the spending tracker stay at 0.00 after this?   ;D
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

PanzersEast

Quote from: Toonces on February 09, 2014, 02:47:48 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on February 08, 2014, 08:54:03 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 06, 2014, 03:18:47 PM

I just ordered the new boxed version of Cruel Necessity (solitaire English Civil War wargame)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70519/cruel-necessity

Damn You.... I purchased as well.  After seeing some LPs on it, it looks amazing and has interesting decisions and balance.

PE

Ok, how does the spending tracker stay at 0.00 after this?   ;D

Well... didn't take long to blow that new year resolution up.   ;D

PE

PanzersEast

Played the learning scenario of Dawn of the Zeds this weekend.  Interesting game with lots of choices to be made and not enough resources to keep up with the Zeds.  I have enjoyed it thus far and look forward to breaking in the full game.

I have several other games setting and waiting for me to break in.. Forlorn Hope, Ottoman Sunset, Waiting on Cruel Necessity, Sentinels of the Multiverse,  Nemo's War, HL: Cthulhu Conflict Expansion.  I just finished up my Hornet Leader Campaign and I am in the middle of a Phantom Leader Deluxe Campaign.

I have a couple others on my waiting list.  I really want The Barbarossa Campaign from Victory Point and had an offer of Empires in America for dirt cheap so I may get that.  I also had Vietnam Solitaire on my list, but at the moment I have plenty.

PE

BanzaiCat

If I were single and sans two kids making the money I'm making now, I'd find a way to blow it on ALL of this, and more. ;D

Bison

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 10, 2014, 09:53:38 PM
If I were single and sans two kids making the money I'm making now, I'd find a way to blow it on ALL of this, and more. ;D

Pfft...excuses.  I just had to do some 'spainin to the wife as to why I had two GMT charges in a month.  How the hell am I supposed to know that my P500 orders would be ready for shipping at the same time?  Hell I ordered them a year ago for god's sake!?!

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on February 10, 2014, 10:03:35 PM

Pfft...excuses.  I just had to do some 'spainin to the wife as to why I had two GMT charges in a month.  How the hell am I supposed to know that my P500 orders would be ready for shipping at the same time?  Hell I ordered them a year ago for god's sake!?!

When is the execution scheduled?

:P

I finally got Sentinels of the Multiverse in, along with the Rook City & Infernal Relics double-expansion box.  After putting card sleeves on 1,028 cards (I shit you not) I managed to get my first solo game in tonight. 

While I did miss a couple effects and had to backtrack twice to fix them, it still went pretty smoothly for my first game.  There is practically no rules to the game as the cards pretty much tell you what they can do.  It's quite refreshing. 

I also didn't really struggle with all the hit point and modifier counters.  Keeping the hit point counters separated in three small bowls made it simple.  I spent more gaming time playing than counting counters.  You realize just how much editing was done on the YouTube vids for much of the decision making, because I felt like I spent much of the game figuring out my card play strategies, prioritizing threats and drawing/reading card effects all around. 

I had a fun time playing, and I even wanted to start another one with different match-ups but it was getting late.  Used three heroes even though I think they recommend four.  Not sure which is easier, probably depends on the match-ups.  Three seemed like it gave me about the right amount of table space.   It was probably an easier villain (Baron Blade?) but my win still came down to within one or two turns before most of my heroes would've been KO'd, so it wasn't a cakewalk.   

Quite fun card game with a lot of variety and thinking involved for a solitaire-capable one.  :D

I should be getting Tomb in Wednesday but I'm most looking forward to the couple games I ordered with VPG: Cruel Necessity and the Darkest Night Set.  Who knows when those will show up, however.  *shrug*

undercovergeek

oooo, the mock outrage angle - i havent seen that used on a Mrs for a while  :-*

Ubercat

Tell her that the charges were for Gay Man Times. That way she won't know it was for games.  ;D
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

PanzersEast

Played through another Mission of Phantom Leader Deluxe and it is interesting how quickly a mission can change once you pull the Attack Angle chits.....  instantly the sun can come out and rainbows in the sky, or a thunderstorm filled with tornados.  I had a very good pull, however the mission before I was not so lucky.

PE

BanzaiCat

I haven't been lucky yet with Phantom Leader on the iPad. It's very unforgiving, but I go back for more every so often.  :-\

PanzersEast

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 11, 2014, 03:52:41 PM
I haven't been lucky yet with Phantom Leader on the iPad. It's very unforgiving, but I go back for more every so often.  :-\

The Deluxe version gives more options to you, however can also rain down terror on you.  I have enjoyed it so far and I waited for the Deluxe to be released for I purchased.

PE

Nefaro

Your Order From Victory Point Games has shipped.

Squee!

They manufactured that stuff faster than I expected.   I put in the order around the 5th or 6th (last week) so it's not been very long.   :D

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Nefaro on February 11, 2014, 01:43:13 AM

I finally got Sentinels of the Multiverse in, along with the Rook City & Infernal Relics double-expansion box.  After putting card sleeves on 1,028 cards (I shit you not) I managed to get my first solo game in tonight. 

While I did miss a couple effects and had to backtrack twice to fix them, it still went pretty smoothly for my first game.  There is practically no rules to the game as the cards pretty much tell you what they can do.  It's quite refreshing. 

I also didn't really struggle with all the hit point and modifier counters.  Keeping the hit point counters separated in three small bowls made it simple.  I spent more gaming time playing than counting counters.  You realize just how much editing was done on the YouTube vids for much of the decision making, because I felt like I spent much of the game figuring out my card play strategies, prioritizing threats and drawing/reading card effects all around. 

I had a fun time playing, and I even wanted to start another one with different match-ups but it was getting late.  Used three heroes even though I think they recommend four.  Not sure which is easier, probably depends on the match-ups.  Three seemed like it gave me about the right amount of table space.   It was probably an easier villain (Baron Blade?) but my win still came down to within one or two turns before most of my heroes would've been KO'd, so it wasn't a cakewalk.   

Quite fun card game with a lot of variety and thinking involved for a solitaire-capable one.  :D

I should be getting Tomb in Wednesday but I'm most looking forward to the couple games I ordered with VPG: Cruel Necessity and the Darkest Night Set.  Who knows when those will show up, however.  *shrug*

BTW, what size sleeves did you use?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

Quote from: ArizonaTank on February 11, 2014, 07:30:51 PM

BTW, what size sleeves did you use?

I've only been using the thin soft sleeve cheapies (aka "penny sleeves").  Specifically these from Amazon, although you can find them in most local sports collectible stores.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y4HI7A/

I use those for a few reasons. 

1) They're cheap to buy in bulk.  For games that have 400-1200 cards in a box, that's a big deal.

2)  I mainly use them to make the cards more uniformly sized and/or keep them from sticking to each other.  I'm fussy about wanting my cards to be as close to the quality of a good set of poker cards and too many tabletop game cards aren't cut as uniformly or have too much wax, making them grip each other too much (such as the Flying Frog cards).  So despite having to alter my method of shuffling, it still works out okay because these penny sleeves are pretty thin and are so slick you can just drop them in side-to-side.  I prefer that to having 'chunks' of cards that don't want to separate during a normal poker shuffle because there are a few cards in the deck that are a bit larger in size.  That drives me nuts.  :o

3) Some extra protection, of course.  This is mostly an added bonus but you never know who will be handling your cards.  Sticky-fingered youngsters are a common problem, and if someone ends up tearing a sleeve they're not costly to replace since you just bought like two thousand of them (right?).  I think these will also help in some cases like the Sentinels set where the edges of the cards can catch easily on others, tearing back some of the out layer of paper.

I used the fancier CCG style card protectors years ago.  They were tougher and your deck stack a bit more stable than the bottom-thick and slick penny sleeves.  But they were also thicker and still had similar problems with tearing when using a poker shuffle so I stopped using them.  I also prefer the clear sleeves so the colored backs & such aren't my thing.

The games with the weird-sized smaller cards haven't been an issue thus far.  Most of those I own are from Fantasy Flight and their cards are high enough quality to not worry about too much.  So I've not sleeved them.

Wow.. that was the long explanation.  :)

Nefaro

As for Sentinels of the Multiverse, I lost my second game earlier tonight.  Still had lotsa fun, down to the wire again.

There are buttloads of user-created player aids & such at BGG so I may download and print off some HP trackers to use for Heroes and the head Villain.  I have lots of wood & plastic colored game markers for just such things so it shouldn't take much.