Latest Wargaming Acquisitions

Started by TheCommandTent, September 15, 2012, 09:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Barthheart on September 16, 2012, 12:26:05 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 16, 2012, 09:10:43 AM
Apparently this game is a hit with you guys.  I am looking forward to playing it.  I've just got to find the time.

I heard that it is also solo friendly, is this the case?

Very solo friendly. The game is played in alternating impulses where one side can move a single unit or stack then the other side does the same, you can just play the best you can for each side in each impulse.

The game plays very quickly once you know the rules. Combat is smooth and second nature after a while... soon you don't even need the casualty table to work out the results.

If you are on facebook there is a thriving group of players to play VASSAL with/against.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001335821494#!/groups/LnLVAssal/

Quote from: Ubercat on September 16, 2012, 09:23:55 AM
You could definitely play it solo. I think the best way to learn how to play is to read through the rules once, and then have an experienced player teach you. You'll have enough familiarity by reading the rules that it won't be a total chore for your opponent and you'll pick it up a lot faster than trying to muddle through on your own. That's how I did it and it worked great. I joined the LnL Vassal players FB group and met a tutor there.

Here's the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/LnLVAssal/, since it's just plain rude to recommend that someone check something out on the web and then not link to it!

I learned with the Carentan scenario, though I've heard that Vierville is pretty good, too. Carentan is just infantry so it's a great way to get the basics down.

So I guess it is time I start to figure out this VASSAL thing huh?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on September 16, 2012, 04:08:23 PM
I broke down and popped for this. My LGS has been having problems getting their hands on the rules and DV8 already has them anyway. I figured I'll get the minis and work on the rules later. Next problem: how to carry them....

Those look pretty cool.  Now how to carry them, thats always an interesting problem to solve.  Transporting your minis safely almost turns into an investment in itself.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

DV8

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 16, 2012, 09:32:56 PM
Quote from: DV8 on September 16, 2012, 04:37:03 PMDo all the games with the "Lock N Load" in their title share the same rules system?

Such as:
Lock 'n Load: Dark July
Lock 'n Load: Not One Step Back
Lock 'n Load: Heroes of the Blitzkrieg
Lock 'n Load: Day of Heroes
Lock 'n Load: Heroes of the Gap

Within the LnL series, if the game has "heroes" in the title - Heroes of the Gap, Forgotten Heroes, Day of Heroes, etc - then it's a standalone game.  If it doesn't, it's an expansion of some sort.

Does anyone have experience with the LnL's World at War series?  They look pretty interesting.  Since I don't have any experience with either system, what are the major differences between WaW and LnL - Heroes?
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

bayonetbrant

World at War is platoon-level, LnL is squad-level.
(think PanzerBlitz vs Squad Leader)

I've played a lot of both.

The other thing is that W@W is an internally-consistent storyline of an alt-history WWIII.  The wargames are a part of a larger story that all ties together.  The Lock'n'Load squad-level games are spread all over - Falklands, Somalia, WWII, Vietnam, etc.  There is even a squad-level game in the W@W 'universe' (Heroes of the Gap).
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

DV8

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 17, 2012, 06:51:47 AM

The other thing is that W@W is an internally-consistent storyline of an alt-history WWIII.  The wargames are a part of a larger story that all ties together.  The Lock'n'Load squad-level games are spread all over - Falklands, Somalia, WWII, Vietnam, etc.  There is even a squad-level game in the W@W 'universe' (Heroes of the Gap).

Thanks.  Which will give a much different feel compared to ASL?  Both in rules and game play.

Barthheart

Quote from: DV8 on September 17, 2012, 07:07:28 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 17, 2012, 06:51:47 AM

Thanks.  Which will give a much different feel compared to ASL?  Both in rules and game play.

The LnL series, Band of Heroes etc., is squad level same as ASL. But it is far less rules heavy, plays faster and is impulse driven rather than I move all - you move all play. Playing BoH gives a very good narative to the game and a very movie like feel while yer playing. I played Squad Leader back in the day and never made the switch to ASL because of the rules overhead.
BoH is fun to play, not work.

The WaW series plays much like Panzer Blitz/Panzer Leader. But again it's chit activation rather than all me - all you. It's also a fast playing game. There is also the WWII version called Nations at War, NaW, that has one module so far, White Star Rising and it's expansion Cobra, and a second module coming  - Desert Heat.

mirth

I broke down and popped for this. My LGS has been having problems getting their hands on the rules and DV8 already has them anyway. I figured I'll get the minis and work on the rules later. Next problem: how to carry them....

Nice acquisition, LB.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Martok

Quote from: mirth on September 17, 2012, 10:09:09 AM

Nice acquisition, LB.
Seconded!  That's hot. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

TheCommandTent

Got home from a crappy day at work to find this waiting for me at the door.  Talk about instantly making your day better.  :)

DV8

Mine is at home waiting for me to come back from this shitty business trip.  :'(  Weep for me.

LongBlade

Quote from: DV8 on September 18, 2012, 09:35:09 PM
Mine is at home waiting for me to come back from this shitty business trip.  :'(  Weep for me.

I just noticed your new avatar. You've greyed a bit on this trip. And I don't mean the 50 shades kind.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: DV8 on September 18, 2012, 09:35:09 PM

That sucks.  I could post more pictures just to make you jealous :)

undercovergeek

aaaah this is the game im ordering some figures for - ill never play the game but the British Paras look great - first ever painting project

DV8

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 19, 2012, 03:35:20 AM
aaaah this is the game im ordering some figures for - ill never play the game but the British Paras look great - first ever painting project

You are a bad man...

undercovergeek

lol, for not playing? or loving the minis? the paras look great, i only hope i can do them justice