Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by steve58, June 01, 2015, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I started the download this morning. Definitely going to hold off on installing it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: steve58 on July 30, 2015, 12:41:38 PM
Now there are privacy/spying issues with Windows 10, but at least you can opt out...supposedly.  Glad I decided to take a step back to wait-and-see...

After reading that, pretty sure I won't be installing it all  >:(
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Grim.Reaper

Come on...jump in, the water is fine.....

So far so good with my Windows 10 implementation.....everything still seems to work as expected. 

Mr. Bigglesworth

It must be a bot, the last useful Microsoft product was the Age of Empires series.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Kushan

I did fresh installs on both my PC and Surface Pro 3 this afternoon. For the most part everything is running perfectly. In fact my surface seems to be running a little faster but it may just be me.

I did encounter one annoying issue with my PC. I run both a GTX780 and a GTX 570 as a Phyxs and for my secondary monitor. Well apparently NVIDIA changed chip architecture between the 500 and 600 series, and right now Windows 10 is not able to run both types at same time. So right now my 570 is being stopped by windows and will not work. Microsoft and NVIDIA know about the issue, and say there will be a fix in the future, but the issue was first reported months ago... I have thinking of buying a newer card and moving my 780 into the secondary slot this may have just forced the issue.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Silent Disapproval Robot

I am still on the waiting list or something.

Mr. Bigglesworth

2 good reports seems less anomalous. If we get to 5 maybe it is safe.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Grim.Reaper

Staggerwing

I decided to force the install on my Asus laptop (more like a netbook, really) just to see what the damn thing would look like. The only hitch I had was not enough mem because the Asus only has 20 gig of flash storage so I plugged in a usb stick to get over the install hump. I have not played around with it too much but I'm happy to report that the win8 tablet/desktop schizophrenia of having to switch between two completely different GUIs (tile/charms/WTF vs traditional winxp/7 desktop) is now gone. Some of the tile stuff is still there but it's part of what used to be the 'Start' button. Much more sane IMHO.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Kushan

Had everything up and running for a day now with no additional issues. All my software installed perfectly with no issues. Going to take me awhile to get used to having a classic start menu again. I keep moving my mouse to the side of the screen to bring up the charms menu for turning the PC off, settings, etc.

Been trying out the new edge Edge browser, even though I have Firefox and Chrome installed, so far its turning out to be ok, not that its hard to be better the IE. I think I may set up my desktop shortcuts and folders to the new start menu. Curios to see if its cumbersome to use or an improvement over normal shortcuts.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Kushan on August 01, 2015, 10:05:07 PM
Had everything up and running for a day now with no additional issues. All my software installed perfectly with no issues. Going to take me awhile to get used to having a classic start menu again. I keep moving my mouse to the side of the screen to bring up the charms menu for turning the PC off, settings, etc.

Been trying out the new edge Edge browser, even though I have Firefox and Chrome installed, so far its turning out to be ok, not that its hard to be better the IE. I think I may set up my desktop shortcuts and folders to the new start menu. Curios to see if its cumbersome to use or an improvement over normal shortcuts.

Me too....no issues at all.  Not a big fan of the Edge browser yet, especially since extensions don't work, which prevents tools like my password manager from working in it...that alone will keep me from using it:)  Support is supposed to come out at some point, maybe by then it will be more mature...for now will stick with my other browsers installed...IE, FireFox, and Chrome.

Nefaro

Currently having three computers, I've debated updating one to Win10.  May end up being my older desktop since I was thinking of wiping the hard drive anyway.  But that would require spending time getting it all set up again and I'm not sure how often I will use it.  The thing has just been gathering dust the last few months.

OJsDad

I've upgraded one of my three computers, my new HP convertible that came with windows 8.1

The only issue I have so far is with my Nook software.  The book text starts too far down the page and the text then falls off the bottom of the screen.  I just emailed tech support and will see what they have to say.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth