Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Promo

Started by mirth, May 13, 2013, 07:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Just finished the 2nd episode. I like that I'm not seeing what's coming thus far, and I usually can do that, which kills most movies and TV series for me.

Fury's appearance in a cameo was interesting. An obvious ploy to cement the TV series' credibility through the movies, but a humorous one nevertheless.

I like Lola, but 'the Cavalry' is far, FAR hotter.  :smitten:

Sir Slash

One of my favorite shows last season and this season too. It's got Josh Wheddon all over it. And that means you can never see it coming. Hot chicks including Lola. O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Centurion40

Quote from: mirth on November 20, 2014, 07:53:18 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 20, 2014, 07:12:37 PM
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. first season now on Netflix.

Guess I know what I'll be watching tonight. I hope this is as good as you nerds say it is.

Ugh. Most of the first season is mediocre. The last 5-6 episodes are where it starts to click. Hang on for the payoff.

What mirth said.
Any time is a good time for pie.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on November 20, 2014, 07:53:18 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 20, 2014, 07:12:37 PM
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. first season now on Netflix.

Guess I know what I'll be watching tonight. I hope this is as good as you nerds say it is.

Ugh. Most of the first season is mediocre. The last 5-6 episodes are where it starts to click. Hang on for the payoff.

I might try a binge-watch over Thanksgiving weekend.

I gave up after the first 2 episodes when the entire show seemed to be a perfect repeat of the first 2 episodes of Alphas with some better production values and a worse theme song.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

^^ What others have said. (Though unlike Brant I didn't give up. Wait, does Shield have a theme song??!)

I have however changed my mind about the concept of a half-season instead of a whole season being better to have introduced the situation in season 2. It feels that way in practice because the first eps are often written with so many headslappingly stupid moments (which to be fairly critical continues after the series gets 'good', much like Arrow) that the character-building and procedural X-files-slash-MIB-in-MCU elements felt constantly broken to me. Rather like The Dark Knight Rises or Man of Steel or Godzilla'14, which by all rights I should have loved, and badly want to respect, but the writing and plot design are SSSOOOO PAAAINNFFULLLL! Shield at least has a lot of wit and that helps.

But, I do think with the perspective of some distance that in principle the series structure did need time to establish the characters and their working relationships before the Giant Plot Drops begin kicking into gear around the halfway mark.

I also suspect the series, even as it is, plays better when the eps can be marathon'd. We original viewers had to keep waiting for 'something important to happen' or 'for things to get better', sometimes for multiple weeks between new eps, and so couldn't really be in a position to appreciate any small things being set up for positive development later.

So I'm kind of jealous of you, B_C, for getting to watch it like this.  O0 I wouldn't be surprised at all if you come out of it with a higher opinion of it than most of us did originally.

Just, you know, avoid spoiler threads like this one.  >:D But keep posting your impressions here, of course.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Yeah, I'll definitely avoid spoilers.

And watching a series I like can, in my opinion, only be done via Netflix or some other streaming video service.

I avoid network TV like the plague - for one, I cannot stand commercials. They're so painfully ignorant and terrible in 99% of cases and their awfulness just pisses me off, like waving a sheet in front of a bull. For two, I can't dedicate myself to watching something on a weekly basis, because I will get busy and completely forget about it.

Barthheart

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 21, 2014, 09:23:00 AM
I avoid network TV like the plague - for one, I cannot stand commercials. They're so painfully ignorant and terrible in 99% of cases and their awfulness just pisses me off, like waving a sheet in front of a bull. For two, I can't dedicate myself to watching something on a weekly basis, because I will get busy and completely forget about it.

Both of those reasons are why I PVR everything.....

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 21, 2014, 09:05:52 AM
I also suspect the series, even as it is, plays better when the eps can be marathon'd. We original viewers had to keep waiting for 'something important to happen' or 'for things to get better', sometimes for multiple weeks between new eps, and so couldn't really be in a position to appreciate any small things being set up for positive development later.

I also suspect this is the case and expect I will enjoy it much more during a binge rewatch.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

The Kree.  But is that Attilan under old San Juan?
Any time is a good time for pie.

BanzaiCat

I'm halfway through and must say I've enjoyed every episode except one...the one where the guy was phasing in and out of reality and sabotaged some vague system to get a girl to visit him. I was WTF pretty much through that whole thing and thought it sucked compared to the rest of the series.

The episode I just watched last night ended with Skye in the hypobaric chamber after getting shot. Great cliffhanger. Glad I have Netflix so I don't have to wait a friggin' week.  ;D

Sir Slash

Next week is the "Winter Finale". Does that mean the Season Ender or will there be Spring Finale too? There's already been a "Fall Finale". Really great show though but.... why don't they EVER just kill the bad guys so they don't keep coming back? Again and again. Like cock roaches.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 03, 2014, 11:11:23 AM
why don't they EVER just kill the bad guys so they don't keep coming back?

You do realize the show is based on comic books right? :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Exactly. Marvel resurrects characters more often than the tale of Jesus waking up behind a rock has been told.

True death in the Marvel universe only happens in issues of 'What If?'

Sir Slash

Yeah, when you read in the script that your character just got killed, you don't put your house up for sell. Hell, Colson came back.

JasonPratt

Actually, I've found the recent spate of comic shows and movies to kill off villains pretty often compared to the comics.  ???

Anyway BC, if you've gotten that far in Season 1, you're practically over the hump. Rejoice! It gets increasingly good from this point onward.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!