Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by spelk, November 20, 2014, 07:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

Nice mix of History and alpha footage

OJsDad

Looks like they are going to greatly expand the strategic game play here with more resources and more decisions on how to handle unit upgrades, country mobilization, etc. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

sandman2575

HoI4 is shaping up nicely in a lot of respects, although some design decisions give me pause -- esp. the choice (not quite confirmed, but largely evident from gameplay footage and the devs' slightly cryptic statements on the matter) to remove HoI3's OOB/CoC structure.  I think that's a *huge* mistake. Streamline it, sure; make it easier to manage, by all means. But eliminate it entirely? Wrong move. I'm all for streamlining and added accessibility.  Not at all in favor of dumbing down.

Anyway, Pdox keeps saying "Q1 2015" for HoI4, but that sounds optimistic -- they're still only showing Alpha footage / screens, and dev diaries have not been plentiful.  My bet is more on Q2/Q3 next year.  Won't mind the wait, as long as it's solid at release, as CKII and EUIV have been, and not the buggy disaster HOI3 was when it came out...

JasonPratt

I read "Q1 2015" and thought, "Crap, that's like years from now!"

Then I felt really, really old.  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Ian C

I'm still going to get this game but the 3D map is going to look weird with counters. Especially when you have city and ports etc rendered on-map, as objects, and that's going to break immersion.  3D Prettiness does not trump immersion.
Even though people have been reassured there will be counters, the devs have said the map will have to be modded if people want a 2D version.

As far as the HQ/command 'feature' that's yet to be revealed, I hope it's going to be fun and be rooted in realism, even if it's abstract.