Check out the latest build of Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, January 17, 2016, 12:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

...its starting to get good. I even fed it another $20 by upgrading my starter ship to something a lot sexier.

Anyway, I have a feeling this game is going to be really mouth watering. I think its really going to be awesome...someday. I made some quick videos of me walking around one of the space stations and a quick circuit/fly-by in my ship. I'll make some of space combat and FPS combat as soon as I can.

In the first video, I show off the space deck and the system for requesting your ship. In the second video, I go for a little spacewalk and first check out a sweet frigate that somebody paid a crap load of real money for to get in game at this point. Thing is sweet. Eventually, I meander over to my own Avenger and take a quick hop around the station. Yes, I forgot to close the back ramp. Eventually, I land, close the ramp and then take a nap in my bunk.

As you can see, the graphics are outstanding and performance is much more polished. It all runs very smooth on my system. Enjoy.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

Wow, those graphics are unbelievable, and the engine seems solid too.  What else can you do on the station currently?  How much actual game is there at the moment?

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2016, 12:00:23 AM
Yes, I forgot to close the back ramp.

Hehe, I was going to point this out.  It's impressive in a way that this is even a thing.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 17, 2016, 04:01:56 AM
Wow, those graphics are unbelievable, and the engine seems solid too.  What else can you do on the station currently?  How much actual game is there at the moment?

I'm not sure how much more you can do at the space dock at the moment, but there are other regions you can travel to where there is combat, both ship-based and EVA. I haven't tried any of that yet, but when I do, I will record it for sure.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Excellent, I'm looking forward to seeing those mate!

Incidentally, I hope that computer voice is a placeholder, or that you can change it.  Computer voices should be female, it's just the law!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 17, 2016, 07:28:36 AM
Excellent, I'm looking forward to seeing those mate!

Incidentally, I hope that computer voice is a placeholder, or that you can change it.  Computer voices should be female, it's just the law!

I think the voices are different for each ship. If I'm not mistaken, the voice I had on my Aurora LN was a female.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Barthheart

Pretty impressive....not sure my old rig could handle all the beauty....

JH, are you using a Track IR to look around or keys? Joystick?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Barthheart on January 17, 2016, 08:36:55 AM
Pretty impressive....not sure my old rig could handle all the beauty....

JH, are you using a Track IR to look around or keys? Joystick?

I'm pretty sure it is trackir capable at this point, but I was not using it in those vids. I was using the freelook key with the mouse to slew. I tried configuring my POV, but for some reason, It wasn't working. I need to play with it a little more, the problem is probably me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

So apparently, Trackir support was disabled with the release of v2.0...word is, it will be implemented, but it is not currently a priority in development.

Here is a video I made this morning with some voice commentary. Tell me what you think. Still no combat, but I do try out the quantum travel system and land at a different platform in a new sector of space.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Excellent video, thanks for that Jarhead.  I really am bowled over by the graphics, they're absolutely spectacular.  I guess that's where the money's going; all those art assets must be costing a fortune.  I noticed some nice little touches too, like the sign in the station airlock advising what to do in the event of gravity failure.

How does landing work?  I see there's a landing mode which looks like it illuminates landing locations in your HUD.  Does it automate landing too, when you're positioned over a suitable pad?  Looking forward to seeing you shoot something in the next video. :)

Oh and well done for remembering to close the ramp this time!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 17, 2016, 04:09:24 PM
Excellent video, thanks for that Jarhead.  I really am bowled over by the graphics, they're absolutely spectacular.  I guess that's where the money's going; all those art assets must be costing a fortune.  I noticed some nice little touches too, like the sign in the station airlock advising what to do in the event of gravity failure.

How does landing work?  I see there's a landing mode which looks like it illuminates landing locations in your HUD.  Does it automate landing too, when you're positioned over a suitable pad?  Looking forward to seeing you shoot something in the next video. :)

Oh and well done for remembering to close the ramp this time!

LOL! I usually try to avoid making the same stupid mistakes twice!

Yes, there is a landing mode that illuminates the open landing spots. It is not automated though. There is an automated landing mode, but I have been unable to perceived any real difference. Perhaps this is something that will get a little more fleshed out further on in development.

The graphics are really impressive, and yes, there are so many nice details and touches. Its crazy to think this is still relatively early alpha build! Thinking about all they can conceivably accomplish is very exciting. The videos really don't do it justice either. Its obviously much sharper in-game.

I'll try to have some combat vids out this week. I have to work tomorrow even though our office is closed for MLK day, but I'm sure I can squeeze some flight time in!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2016, 11:02:11 AM
So apparently, Trackir support was disabled with the release of v2.0...word is, it will be implemented, but it is not currently a priority in development.

Here is a video I made this morning with some voice commentary. Tell me what you think. Still no combat, but I do try out the quantum travel system and land at a different platform in a new sector of space.

I like your comment about the cost of ships. Frankly for a game that's had over $100 million dollars in funding already, some of them seem frankly ridiculous.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

JudgeDredd

First thing that came to mind watching those videos (thanks JH for doing them) was a better looking X-Rebirth - but better

I am definitely keeping my options open with this one. Watching with mucho interest.
Alba gu' brath

Rayfer

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 18, 2016, 05:44:09 AM
First thing that came to mind watching those videos (thanks JH for doing them) was a better looking X-Rebirth - but better

I am definitely keeping my options open with this one. Watching with mucho interest.

Heh...I thought the same thing while watching the video (well done by the way)....on the surface it reminds me a lot of X-Rebirth.

Jarhead0331

I found a flight tutorial and am pleasantly surprised to see some real depth with respect to systems and control options. Energy, shield, and weapons management is all there and there are some cool features with flight control. The Newtonian physics  in combat and fast space flight feel much more authentic and less "arcadey" than I was expecting. Of course, you can turn off your flight assistant and take advantage of the vacuum. You can also turn off a G-limiter that will permit you to pull off some high G maneuvers, at the risk of causing physical harm (to you as the pilot and the ship, it seems). There is a self-destruct sequence and ejection option too.

I'll make a video of the tutorial so you guys can check it out. The script is a little buggy, but I was able to complete the tutorial with some minimal trial and error. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog