Main Menu

ARMA 3

Started by Toonces, February 20, 2015, 03:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbar

" 'Cause it's different than us, see? 'Cause it's from outer space. What do you want from me?"

oops different movie

Dammit Carl!

"Welcome to Earf!"

JasonPratt

I for one welcome the new upgrades this will surely provide for the Warhammer 40K mods!  :bd:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

The extraterrestrial stuff might not be to everyone's liking, but some of the other new features seem cool, like the CBRN and electronic warfare options. I like the look of the Lavonian military too.   
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Yeah the features and assets are very cool, but I don't have warm feelings for the sci-fi story. Still I am going to get it. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jomni

Hehe. They talk about aliens but didn't reveal any assets in the overview. Quite cool marketing.

Jarhead0331

So I had a revelation this weekend...

I was youtube surfing when I came across an old video discussing helicopter flight in ARMA 3. The guy who made the video was probably the best damn ARMA 3 helo pilot I have ever seen. This guy was zooming nap of the earth and could land on a dime with pinpoint precision. The trick, other than practice, practice, practice, seemed to be foregoing the temptation to use a HOTAS and to just stick with keyboard and mouse control. I was skeptical at first, but within 5 minutes and a couple of landings....DAMN!

All this time flying with a stick and throttle, I was having to rely on auto-hover to get reasonable control in order to nail a safe landing. With the keyboard and mouse, I was zooming into hot LZs and deploying troops in relative comfort and safety in minutes.

Amazing...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

You do realise you just admitted being a huge noob.  :hug:  ^-^
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 24, 2019, 02:41:44 PM

You do realise you just admitted being a huge noob.  :hug:  ^-^

Perhaps...but I like to think I'm just stubborn. When I fly, I typically want a HOTAS. its a difficult preference to overcome. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

I know what you mean, man. I had that with Battlefield.  :2funny:

SirAndrewD

The HOTAS in ARMA is awful.

I've heard whispered legends, spoken in very hushed tones, that you can get the HOTAS to work right with a lot of tweaking of custom profiles with dead zones and sensitivity properly calibrated.  But I've never achieved this.

Or you can just go right in and be fine with mouse and keyboard. 

I've just never had the time or patience to calibrate the HOTAS to even be more than slightly functional in ARMA.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 24, 2019, 01:21:17 PM
So I had a revelation this weekend...

I was youtube surfing when I came across an old video discussing helicopter flight in ARMA 3. The guy who made the video was probably the best damn ARMA 3 helo pilot I have ever seen. This guy was zooming nap of the earth and could land on a dime with pinpoint precision. The trick, other than practice, practice, practice, seemed to be foregoing the temptation to use a HOTAS and to just stick with keyboard and mouse control. I was skeptical at first, but within 5 minutes and a couple of landings....DAMN!

All this time flying with a stick and throttle, I was having to rely on auto-hover to get reasonable control in order to nail a safe landing. With the keyboard and mouse, I was zooming into hot LZs and deploying troops in relative comfort and safety in minutes.

Amazing...

Is this basic or advanced flight model (helicopters DLC)?

Jarhead0331

^advanced with dlc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 24, 2019, 09:16:31 PM
^advanced with dlc.

Wow! I should try it. I remember configuring my hotas for this but too lazy to use it after a long hiatus. Keyboard and mouse sounds appealing.

Jarhead0331

It's crazy how much of a difference it makes....give it a shot.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog