Main Menu

Recent posts

Music, TV, Movies / VUE and related software (for ...
Last post by JasonPratt - Yesterday at 08:44:51 PM
Wasn't totally sure where to put this, but since the software is/was primarily used for creating digital landscapes for the film industry (their first big hits being the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise!) I took a guess for this subforum.

QuoteVUE, PlantFactory and PlantCatalog are now free to use

Dear e-on customers, partners, and resellers:

For over 27 years, e-on software products have served the media and entertainment industry, and we couldn't be prouder of what we've have achieved with your ongoing support and passion for our tools. Since Bentley Systems acquired e-on in 2015, these products have been used in other Bentley solutions and by valued partners all over the world.

As Bentley continues to grow, however, we realized the need to reevaluate our product portfolio to strengthen our business. For over 39 years, Bentley's main focus has been to serve engineers and other professionals responsible for designing, constructing, and operating sustainable infrastructure, essential to the quality of life for everyone, everywhere. 

To ensure we can continue driving towards that mission, Bentley has made the difficult decision to end sales for and the further development of VUE, PlantFactory, and PlantCatalog products. In addition, support for these products will be limited to critical security patches only going forward.

Though we will no longer be allowing the purchase of new licenses, we want to ensure that you can continue using all the e-on products and technologies you've come to rely on over the years. Therefore, we are pleased to announce that VUE, PlantFactory, and PlantCatalog are now free to download and use. By downloading these perpetual builds, you will acknowledge the new end-user license agreement (EULA) and agree to use the software without support.

To learn more about this decision and how to continue using these products, we have created an FAQ section you can review.

Go to FAQ and Downloads
We apologize for any inconvenience this announcement may cause but hope you will continue finding joy and creativity using our free e-on technology. Thank you for your support, and we hope to see you again in the future.

Sincerely,

Bentley Systems & the e-on software team

Bought VUE 6 Infinite for my Falcon NW supercomputer eons ago (if you'll pardon the pun), along with some related software (not from the same studio), with vague plans of learning to do graphical design work, and it was nifty, but I had too many other thing to work on for the time to learn it, alas. This is why I got the notification. (E-on has sent updates to VUE and its plant-work subpackages over the years.)

The link to downloading these tools is here: https://www.bentley.com/software/e-on-software-free-downloads/

I checked it out with the latest version of Avast and everything looks kosher.

The programs are totally free, and can be used for commercial projects. VUE 2023 and its plant things are the last stable releases; 2024 will be in perpetual beta, although open-source code fans may polish them up perhaps indefinitely. Both are available from Bentley in perpetuity.

The E-on Software tutorials on Youtube will remain operational, although I suspect fan channels will have better ones over time if better ones don't already exist!

So, if you ever wanted to see how Disney and other studios do (or used to do) CGI landscapes, here's your chance at no charge for however long Bentley (or whoever buys them perhaps) cares to keep them up!

My guess is that the design team, for whatever reasons, couldn't keep up with the new cutting edge competitors in performance and/or pricing, and so the film industry phased out use of the system. But I have great sentimental fondness for something I barely ever paid attention to (as any true grog might  :cool: ) -- right this moment I can see those boxes on my shelf about two arm lengths away.  :Dreamer:

Also I wanted to archive access to the downloads in case I lose the email link by accident.  :grin:
Tech Talk / Re: Strange new PC problem
Last post by bobarossa - Yesterday at 04:52:22 PM
Did you get a puppy recently?  Look for needle-like holes in the cables.
Last post by Tripoli - Yesterday at 10:46:55 AM

:grin:  :grin:
Last post by W8taminute - Yesterday at 10:34:00 AM
Assuming that nothing changed with the KVM & USB switches my first thought would be to check for any recent windows updates.  If there were any updates in the past month or so I would read the release notes.  Check for any changes to how device drivers are handled by windows.  That sort of thing. 

So other low lying fruit that you can reach for is to check all the cable connections.  Look for any signs of damage to the connectors or the cable itself.  That includes looking at the entire length of cabling to see if there is any signs of crushed or splayed cabling.  Make sure the pins inside the connector housing are not bent or broken. 

Check the ports on the KVM and USB switches as well.  Looking for signs of damage. 
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Yesterday at 09:53:36 AM
Quote from: bobarossa on Yesterday at 09:26:59 AMOne troubleshooting technique is to unplug things one at a time and see if the problem resolves.  In other words a peripheral may be malfuntioning and causing the USB switch or KVM to malfuntion. 

Yeah...I have a strong suspicion it could be the USB switch. That is a relatively new addition to the ecosystem. I'll troubleshoot it this evening.
Last post by bobarossa - Yesterday at 09:26:59 AM
One troubleshooting technique is to unplug things one at a time and see if the problem resolves.  In other words a peripheral may be malfuntioning and causing the USB switch or KVM to malfuntion. 
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Yesterday at 08:50:13 AM
Quote from: steve58 on Yesterday at 08:38:27 AMSince the KVM and USB switch are common to both systems, I'd try swapping them out, one at a time.

You mean by trying a new switch?

KVM switches that have the audio and peripheral support I need and that support 4K are rather expensive. If there are any other troubleshooting suggestions before I incur the expense, I'd prefer to exhaust those.

I don't think the USB switch is the problem since it is the mouse and keyboard that don't get detected and which are plugged directly into the KVM. The USB switch is plugged into the KVM too, by the way, and it is connected to my HOTAS, rudder pedals, etc. I will say that the USB switch is somewhat new and perhaps that is causing a conflict!?  :headscratch:
Last post by steve58 - Yesterday at 08:38:27 AM
Since the KVM and USB switch are common to both systems, I'd try swapping them out, one at a time.
Tech Talk / Strange new PC problem
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Yesterday at 08:24:06 AM
My main work station is powered by two separate rigs - a 12th generation i9 with a 3080ti and a 14th generation i9 with a 4080. The 3080ti is connected to 3 monitors. The 4080 is connected to a single monitor and a VR headset.  The two rigs share the main monitor and all peripherals (ie. mouse, keyboard, HOTAS, etc.) through a KVM and USB switch. More specifically, the mouse and keyboard are plugged into the KVM switch, which has two lines that plug into each computer allowing me to switch between the two rigs. The system worked flawlessly for many months until a few weeks ago.

The problem first started with the 4080. When I powered it up, it stopped detecting the mouse and keyboard on start up. I was eventually able to solve the problem by unplugging the KVM line into the 4080. Once plugged back in, the computer detected the mouse and keyboard and everything works. However, when shutting down, and rebooting, the problem started coming back with greater frequency and now its pretty steady.

This morning, I powered up the 3080ti and had the same problem! I've never had it with the 3080ti before today. The problem was solved the same way, by unplugging the KVM line from the 3080ti and plugging it back in.

Any ideas what could be causing this, or how to troubleshoot it? Its not a show stopper, but having to crawl under my desk to unplug the lines each and every time is getting to be a real pain in the ass.  :knuppel2:

Thanks. 
General Discussion / Re: Crown Wars : Le Prince Noi...
Last post by al_infierno - May 03, 2024, 02:35:02 PM
I gotta admit, Le Prince Noir is a much cooler sounding title than The Black Prince.