Skeleton of WWII carrier pigeon found in UK chimney w/msg attached

Started by steve58, November 03, 2012, 03:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Staggerwing

Maybe the message said "Bring lots and lots of hedge clippers."
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 03, 2012, 03:21:28 PM
it says - 'your tea's ready Bob'

If the pigeon was coming from France, I doubt the Frogs would want tea, especially English tea... :P 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

undercovergeek

Quote from: steve58 on November 03, 2012, 03:30:40 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 03, 2012, 03:21:28 PM
it says - 'your tea's ready Bob'

If the pigeon was coming from France, I doubt the Frogs would want tea, especially English tea... :P

aaah, apologies, tea is an evening meal for most people born north of Derby in the UK, south of there its Dinner, but in the proper/correct part of the country its tea

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 03, 2012, 03:18:35 PM
Maybe the message said "Bring lots and lots of hedge clippers."

Bingo.

That or "Send more Shermans! The Krauts are going through them like hot Wiener Schnitzel!"
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

Think I recall reading in books like Chester Wilmot's, The Struggle for Europe, that english paras often had backup carrier pigeons.
Their radios were not so reliable, and were in very short supply, so this gave them a backup.
Didn't the radios at the Bridge Too Far, have bad batteries which complicated the efforts of XXX Corps to aid, and give artillery support?
Think it contributed significantly to the woes of 1st Airborne Division.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bob48

^ Yep - having read 'A Magnificent Disaster' not too long ago, it did pont to radio failures playing an adverse part in events.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

steve58

LongBlade

Quote from: steve58 on November 07, 2012, 08:50:53 AM
Here's an expanded story, but still no decoded msg.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/11/06/coded-wwii-message-found-on-pigeon-remains/?intcmp=trending

If they found this in 1982, wonder why its just now making the news...

It could be that he found it in 82 but only recently realized it was carrying a message from WWII.

I wish those codebreakers luck. Hopefully they still have the key to that message. I'd love to know what it says.

Longdan

"....redacted..so then just give us the go ahead old chap and the war will be over by Friday."
digni enim sunt interdicunt

LongBlade

No surprise here: they're still stumped. http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/23/world/europe/uk-wwii-pigeon-mystery/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

IIRC those codes were unbreakable without a key and used a double key system.

Staggerwing

Wonder if it was a discarding key system? After you sent a message you destroyed the key, which was on a pad of tear-off sheets. IIRC some of the Soviet encrypted messages became compromised after their signals officers got lazy and used the same page over and over instead of burning it and getting a new one each time.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys