So is World-war-one-centennial-edition by AGEOD?

Started by em2nought, March 10, 2017, 03:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

em2nought

Stolen elections have consequences.

bobarossa

So this is an advancement on WWI Gold?  I heard WWI Gold was a much improved version of the original.  I guess for $2 US, it's not much of a loss if it isn't good.

Tuna

Quote from: bobarossa on March 10, 2017, 04:41:44 PM
So this is an advancement on WWI Gold?  I heard WWI Gold was a much improved version of the original.  I guess for $2 US, it's not much of a loss if it isn't good.

I think Jason Pratt did an AAR on it a lil while back.

JasonPratt

Technically "Centennial" is not by Ageod. Gold is. But the guy who did Centennial (Calvinus, who I think was the original designer or one of them) thought he had acquired the legal right to work on patching up Gold and moving along into the future. Unfortunately, Ageod was already working on their own WW1 game based on the AGEOD engine this time (which Gold/Centennial isn't: it's based on a board game being converted over to a pseudo-Ageod engine. With all the quirks you might imagine from that.)

So.... soommmmmmmmmmmmeone unstated who claimed to have the rights to Gold which the new dev had thought he had acquired (logically although not certainly I suppose, this was Matrixlitherine) put a legal block on the game. You can still buy it from Gamersgate, but not from Steam. Although if you bought it from Steam it should still work of course. And what GG is selling is a Steam code. Presumably Greenmangaming is selling a Steam code, too.

If you can get it, Centennial is definitely the updated version of the game, but Calvinus is legally unable to continue work on it. So there are still problems. For example, as I discovered in my Absolute Newbie AAR, there's a game-killing bug where if you set the game to allow you to play the battles tactically (sort of), the game will try to show you tactical battles for your allies, too, and then doesn't know what to do because there's no input so it goes into an infinite loop. This isn't a problem if you're playing, say, Russia and France together. It's a fatal problem if you're playing, say, Russia by yourself (which I was doing) and the game wants to show you a French battle. It also of course isn't a problem if you set the options to avoid the semi-tactical battles -- which like almost all the options you can only adjust ONCE YOU'RE IN A CAMPAIGN (which is insane). But while you'll lose some of the flavor, you can certainly play the game with letting the computer manage the tacticals. To be honest, the tacticals really have very few feasible options which won't lead to immediate disaster so playing them is almost like just clicking manually what the computer would have done automatically for you anyway.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

If you still want to try the game anyway, keeping those factors in mind, here's the link to my eventually failed AAR: The Belle Game Sans Merci

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 16, 2015, 06:00:20 PM
I recently compared AGEOD's World War One Gold to a librarian who looks like Rachel Weiz (see: The Mummy), who, happening to research World War 1 one day, fell in love with it, and fell in love so hard she decided not only to research ALL THE WORLD WAR ONE but to cosplay as World War 1; whereupon she designed an extensive costume that not only incorporated ALL THE WORLD WAR ONE but made it supernaturally gorgeous and artistic. Then having done so, she insists on rubbing it up against you because she knows you'll like it, too.

Sure it's cumbersome and a bit janky in execution, and maybe somewhat insane on how it applies some of the details, and more than a little frightening in its intensity and dedication to its topic, but if you're turned on at all by the topic... well...  :smitten:

"Look, see this? You can make it... do things."

"Uh."

"Fascinating, isn't it?"

"...the... uh, what... what exactly does this do?"

"Try. And see what happens." {sideways smile with flirty eyes} "You know you want to try, don't yAAOUCH, NOT LIKE THAT!" {scowls}

"I'msorryI'm sorry, it's just, I don't understand--!"

"Try again." {mysterious stare} "You must. I insist."

I've also joked before that the game (especially the map) was designed by fairies attempting to drive men mad, and while I mean that as a caution I mean it as a compliment, too.

So, let's see if I can give some idea why I mean that as a caution and as a compliment.

But I have to warn you: I am definitely going to fail. Mere human attempts at description can only be pitiful. Because at best, all I can do is plod along afterward, somewhat in a daze of amazement and bemused annoyance, while the Belle Dame Sans Merci glides dancing before, behind, and around me, teasing her utter regality, insisting that you appreciate her efforts -- which if they aren't for you, then they aren't for you, and that's your loss.

Did I mention she's French? Because she's French.

See?! You know mere words will be useless to the experience of her curves and lines and trees and hills and the colored ink and things and ideas...

But all I have are words. And some photos I managed to snap of her.

So, to the mundane.

And then she had a psychotic breakdown.  :P :'( :-*
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

jomni

So is Centennial back?  Remember it was pulled out of Steam last time.

JasonPratt

No, it isn't really gone from Steam. Steam cannot sell it directly. Other sites can sell Steam codes for it.

JasonPratt

My BGSM AAR.... ........ wow, despite my coy introductory post I honestly had not even noticed that the phrase I was punning, Belle Dame Sans Merci, abbreviated to BDSM  :o :o  :wow: :timeout:

...uh. Anyway, I had originally intended to fold in my Absolute Newbie text (a very small part is included) as I got to various topics, but then the game shifted into the "crazy" part of "hot and quirky" and shut me down.  :pullhair: But the AbNewb material is extensive (up to a point) and still, I think, worth looking into. It's probably more helpful than the BGSM thread to be honest.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=6547.msg285784#msg285784

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Boggit

I have both WW1 and Centennial. IMHO, Centennial is a much better version than Gold. OK, it's basically the same game, but the turn processing is much more efficient, and IIRC, there are a couple of new bells and whistles that aren't on Gold. I do remember first time I played it thinking that it was a definite improvement to Gold.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

mikeck

Quote from: Boggit on March 13, 2017, 12:23:39 AM
I have both WW1 and Centennial. IMHO, Centennial is a much better version than Gold. OK, it's basically the same game, but the turn processing is much more efficient, and IIRC, there are a couple of new bells and whistles that aren't on Gold. I do remember first time I played it thinking that it was a definite improvement to Gold.

I remember doing the same thing I had done with gold as well as the original. Boot it up. Click a few keys. Sneer at the amateur looking ginormous unit cards in the tactical battle screen, finish the tutorial....and stare at the screen not knowing what the hell to really do
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

jomni

Boggit

Quote from: mikeck on March 13, 2017, 08:11:56 AM

I remember doing the same thing I had done with gold as well as the original. Boot it up. Click a few keys. Sneer at the amateur looking ginormous unit cards in the tactical battle screen, finish the tutorial....and stare at the screen not knowing what the hell to really do
LOL! :DD You're right it's not an intuitive game at all. You definitely need to read the manual first to have any idea how to play it. :buck2:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Rayfer

Quote from: Boggit on March 14, 2017, 02:08:42 AM
Quote from: mikeck on March 13, 2017, 08:11:56 AM

LOL! :DD You're right it's not an intuitive game at all. You definitely need to read the manual first to have any idea how to play it. :buck2:

Read a manual? Never. Do they even still make them?   :crazy2: