The weapons of your service

Started by Keunert, April 13, 2012, 01:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: Windigo on April 25, 2012, 07:13:51 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on April 25, 2012, 06:57:36 PM
Holy crap that slug looks awesome!

They are not very effective on polar bears. The 40 mm bloop with a bean bag or rubber bullet is more convincing to them to not try and eat you.

So it's rubber? Dang, I thought it was like a slug on steroids.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Smuckatelli

First one is with my M-16A1/M-203 on Rota, waiting for the C-130 to take us to Tinian.
Second one is the Newly issued M-16A2 in 1984
Third one is with the M-40A1 in Okinawa

Smuckatelli

First picture is with the M-16A2 in 95......after WAWA
Second picture is the 81's Fire Direction Center (FDC) at Chocolate Mountains is CA....I lost a keg of beer there...
Third picture is SA-80 at a MOUT facility just outside of London

I'm going to have to do some more scanning of pictures. Jarhead covered the M-249, M-240G, & M-2. I'll look for some pictures of the M-60, SW Model 19, Remington 870, MK-19, M-9.....

Note, when they issued the M-2 in 83, many of our 0331s volunteered to man the new old weapon because they came with the M-151 Jeeps. After deploying with LtCol Fox.....they were tired of walking....or next trip was to Bridgeport for mountain warfare training.....they didn't have the jeeps...they had to hump the guns....us 11s laughed..

Shelldrake

Cent40 didn't leave me much but here is my contribution.

I had to qualify with the Browning Hi-Power 9mm while training to provide security for the 1976 Olympics in Montreal.

For really long range sniping!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

btrain

Not me (photo from canadiansoldiers.com), but from the same era (early 1980s). And when I had to carry ammunition loose like that (and normally we didn't), I made sure to turn the rounds so that the bullet noses didn't dig into my neck!

This was the C5 General Purpose Machine Gun, the Canadian version of the M1919A4 .30 calibre Browning, rechambered for NATO 7.62 ammunition and with a large cocking handle added. My favourite weapon and the Machine Gunner's course was my favourite time in service.

Brian Train

Keunert

^at the first glance i thought this may be some normandy picture.
i am glad to hear you have some more years to go than that....
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Jarhead0331

Quote from: btrain on June 14, 2012, 12:58:02 PM

Not me (photo from canadiansoldiers.com), but from the same era (early 1980s). And when I had to carry ammunition loose like that (and normally we didn't), I made sure to turn the rounds so that the bullet noses didn't dig into my neck!

This was the C5 General Purpose Machine Gun, the Canadian version of the M1919A4 .30 calibre Browning, rechambered for NATO 7.62 ammunition and with a large cocking handle added. My favourite weapon and the Machine Gunner's course was my favourite time in service.

Brian Train

I've got a 1919A4 that I'm trying to sell.  If you're interested, I can post pictures.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Windigo

whats the weight on that? .... just curious.... seems to me they'd be a bigger burdeon than a 23 year old kid still living at home.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Windigo on June 14, 2012, 02:43:15 PM
whats the weight on that? .... just curious.... seems to me they'd be a bigger burdeon than a 23 year old kid still living at home.

It isn't light.  Its about 30 lbs...unloaded and without the USGI Tri-pod or T&E device.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Shelldrake

The C3 81mm mortar was even heavier at 36.3 kg (that is 92 lb for those of you who are not metric minded). Fortunately the mortar team usually had transport but the weapon was backpack portable!

40Cent, Did you ever had to hump one of these tubes during your stint in the infantry?

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/weapons/lightweapons/mortars/c3mortar.htm
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Windigo

Quote from: Shelldrake on June 15, 2012, 09:29:38 AM
The C3 81mm mortar was even heavier at 36.3 kg (that is 92 lb for those of you who are not metric minded). Fortunately the mortar team usually had transport but the weapon was backpack portable!

40Cent, Did you ever had to hump one of these tubes during your stint in the infantry?

90 lbs is a load even with a good backpack with a properly adjusted waist belt
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Shelldrake

Quote from: Windigo on June 15, 2012, 09:53:12 AM
Quote from: Shelldrake on June 15, 2012, 09:29:38 AM

90 lbs is a load even with a good backpack with a properly adjusted waist belt

IIRC the weapon breaks down into the tube and stand so say 40+ pounds per squad member, which is still a load since it doesn't include personal weapon, etc. Someone also has to carry the ammo.

Dean Edell

btrain

The weight of a complete C5 GPMG was 52 pounds: 31 lbs for the gun, 11 for the tripod, 3 1/2 for the T+E mech, 7 lbs for the barrel.

Normally the No. 1 would carry the gun, barrel and T+E together for almost 42 lbs; the No. 2 would carry even more with the tripod, a spare barrel, tool wallet and two boxes of ammunition (16 lbs for 220 rounds) for 52 lbs. Plus personal weapons (9mm submachine gun or pistol for the No. 1, FN C1 rifle for the No. 2) and all the usual webbing, rucksack and other gear. Two boxes of ammunition would not last long so sometimes there was a No. 3 who carried more.

Shelldrake

Quote from: btrain on June 15, 2012, 03:45:29 PM
The weight of a complete C5 GPMG was 52 pounds: 31 lbs for the gun, 11 for the tripod, 3 1/2 for the T+E mech, 7 lbs for the barrel.

Normally the No. 1 would carry the gun, barrel and T+E together for almost 42 lbs; the No. 2 would carry even more with the tripod, a spare barrel, tool wallet and two boxes of ammunition (16 lbs for 220 rounds) for 52 lbs. Plus personal weapons (9mm submachine gun or pistol for the No. 1, FN C1 rifle for the No. 2) and all the usual webbing, rucksack and other gear. Two boxes of ammunition would not last long so sometimes there was a No. 3 who carried more.

Sucked to be #2 on the MG team! 52 lbs plus FN C1@ 11 lbs (included bayonet and full mag).

Dean Edell

btrain

Why yes, yes it did suck.
I always contrived to be No. 1; the gun was heavy but it was the only thing to carry (though usually I ended up carrying a box of ammo too, so we'd have at least three belts which was usually enough for a quick platoon attack on an isolated objective - the "tactical problem" we went through over and over again at the Infantry School).