Not in the mood to play anything Warhammer 40K?

Started by Jarhead0331, September 06, 2017, 11:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer

I remember seeing this a over a year ago.  Not sure how they didn't run afoul of Games Workshop, or maybe they did since we haven't heard anything since.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

spelk

40k deserves our attention, but how about these questions to help guide the uninitiated...

1) Which 40k game is worth investing in for the beginner?

2) Which 40k novel is worth reading to juice you up?

3) 40k games to avoid... list.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: spelk on June 12, 2018, 08:38:39 AM
40k deserves our attention, but how about these questions to help guide the uninitiated...

1) Which 40k game is worth investing in for the beginner?

2) Which 40k novel is worth reading to juice you up?

3) 40k games to avoid... list.

1. I think Dawn of War I and II are still the best 40K games on the block and they are both highly moddable. I still play DoW I with Ultimate Apocalypse and FoK mods. They are cheap and run well on modern systems. If RTS isn't your thing, and you prefer TBS, then Warhammer 40K Armageddon or Sanctus Reach are totally worth looking into. Space Hulk: Ascension is also a great TBS game and a really enjoyable recreation of the old table-top Space Hulk classic. Finally, although old, and sometimes finicky on modern OSs, Chaos Gate is a fantastic tactical TBS game in the vein of X-com. I really wish they would update this one, but its a must have in any 40K fan's collection, as is. Its available on GoG.

2. We have several threads devoted to warhammer 40K and Horus Heresy series novels in the books subform. My recommendation for beginners is always the Eisenhorn trilogy  or the Inquisition War trilogy. I felt these books gave a rare glimpse into every day life in the 41st Millennium. Most other books that focus on a Space Marine chapter or a regiment of the Imperial Guard just take a micro view of the particular subject matter and focus on the particular crisis at hand. The aforementioned trilogies span multiple years, with several branching plot lines and include travel across dozens of worlds.

3. There are unfortunately a lot of bad 40K games. For some reason, GW has a habit of licensing their IP to small, unknown, indie developers for the most part (there are of course exceptions). Eternal Crusade and Dawn of War III are probably the most notable big-budget disappointments. Eternal Crusade, as a MMP competitive third-pirson shooter never really excited me, but I cried myself to sleep on several occasions over what they did to DoW III. Such a colossal failure and let down and now it has been totally abandoned by its developer.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

The FPS Space Marine was very good too. It's campaign is short and it was released years ago, though.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on June 12, 2018, 09:16:40 AM
The FPS Space Marine was very good too. It's campaign is short and it was released years ago, though.

I did like it, but I'm not sure I would rate it highly. Honestly, if it wasn't for my love of the IP, I would classify it as just an average TPS. Overall, it was a little disappointing for me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

I still enjoy dow3 for what it is. But have grown out of that type of rts I think.
I would recommend the novel "space marine" as as good insight into 40k.
I have Sanctus reach but am yet to load it. Now that I have finished battletech I may do so.
Deathwing is another I may try to complete. Battle fleet gothic was another I may eventually go back to the campaign in.
I love 40k and it's setting but lately I have just not been helping with 40k. The characters and work created by games have generally been soul less. There just has not been enough of a human backdrop to relate to for me. But that's 40k. Meaningless endless combat where even the human side is bad.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

While I agree that DoW1 and DoW2 are still the best 40K games (for somewhat different reasons), and while I agree 40K:Armageddon is accessible for new players (especially those who are fans of Panzer General, which that's a deep mod of)...

...I will vote 40K: REGICIDE as the most accessible on the market. Because it's mostly just (in one mode exactly) chess with Marines and Orks.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!