2018 Running Olympics Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, February 06, 2018, 11:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: OJsDad on February 20, 2018, 09:54:34 PM
Remember when we used to make jokes like that about the East German women.

:DD

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Barthheart

Agreed that's not acceptable behavior... but let's not smear all of Canada with it....  ::)

She should not be allowed to compete again.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on February 22, 2018, 09:51:15 AM
Stay classy Canada;

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/winter-olympics/at-medal-ceremony-after-loss-to-usa-canadian-player-immediately-yanks-silver-off-her-neck/ar-BBJrxg5?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Tough for an American to make that argument when the 1972 Men's Basketball Team still hasn't picked up their silver medals and didn't attend the ceremony.

Of course, there was a lot more controversy around that game, too.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

https://sports.yahoo.com/russian-bobsledder-wore-anti-doping-shirt-just-failed-doping-test-112808964.html

QuoteLeading up to the start of these Games, a Russian bobsledder bravely wore a T-shirt under her training suit that said, "I Don't Do Doping."

On Friday, that same bobsledder failed a doping test.

Russian bobsled federation president Alexander Zubkov announced that Nadezhda Sergeeva tested positive for a banned heart medication. She is the second athlete in the 2018 Winter Olympics to flunk a test. Russian curler Alexander Krushelnitsky was found to have meldonium in his system earlier in the Games.

The announcement came on the same day 15-year-old Alina Zagitova won the first gold medal for the Olympic Athletes of Russia, in figure skating. It also happened on the same day as the Russian men's hockey team advanced to the gold-medal match, beating the Czech Republic.

The International Olympic Committee has forced Russian athletes to compete here under the label "Olympic Athletes from Russia" (O.A.R.) as punishment for doping offenses at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi. Sergeeva has been open about her opposition to the decision, which means the Olympic anthem will play at ceremonies for gold medalists from Russia, and the delegation may not be able to carry the flag of the Russian Federation at Closing Ceremonies this weekend.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

So in case y'all missed it, the Canadian men lost in the hockey semifinal.

to Germany   :o :o :o :o :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

https://twitter.com/GermanyDiplo/status/967079630854291456

MikeGER

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 23, 2018, 10:11:10 PM
So in case y'all missed it, the Canadian men lost in the hockey semifinal.

no i didnt missed that  :D
even so i am not interested in icehockey at all
(reason: i just don't see the puck, or who has the puck when i try to watch it on TV .... well i never tried with the projector so)

the match will start at 5:10am on Sunday morn

btw: we have the gold medal already whatever the out come of that match will be  ^-^
....it just take some time, in 1 or 2 years the anti-doping labs will have the prove that some Russian players where doped at that match with a method that is very hard to validate today.
but anti-doping lab science progress fast and the samples are stored >:D   

mirth

airboy

Canada is having a curling crisis.  Their women's team lost.  But the family responded in typical Canadian (or Mirthian) fashion. 

quote from the WSJ:
"It's affecting their fellow Canadians, too.  Homan's husband (she is the curler) was seen double-fisting beers during a 9 a.m. morning match at the Gangneung Curling Centre on Monday.  He later explained on Twitter, "The stress level is high.  I'm not a drunk.  I'm just Canadian.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on February 24, 2018, 09:28:48 PM
Canada is having a curling crisis.  Their women's team lost.  But the family responded in typical Canadian (or Mirthian) fashion. 

quote from the WSJ:
"It's affecting their fellow Canadians, too.  Homan's husband (she is the curler) was seen double-fisting beers during a 9 a.m. morning match at the Gangneung Curling Centre on Monday.  He later explained on Twitter, "The stress level is high.  I'm not a drunk.  I'm just Canadian.

Mirth & Vance beat you to by three days :)

Quote from: mirth on February 20, 2018, 11:36:23 AM
https://twitter.com/GermainShawn/status/965408536950788096?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

airboy

^ I'm still not sure there is a "Winter Olympics."  I know that drunk Canadians is oxymoron. 

bayonetbrant

Well, the Russians needed OT to beat the Germans in the hockey final.  The last time Russians won gold?  '92, when the NHL players weren't there.

bayonetbrant